Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special " THANKS ! " to a certain tire company.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special " THANKS ! " to a certain tire company.....

Most of you know about the misfortune we experienced when a certain brand of tire failed us while on HRPT this year. You've seen the shredded carcass of the tire and the damage to the quarter panel. The warranty on the tire would have expired in October of this year IF I had been able to find my receipt. When I built this car I trashed most of the receipts so Tracey wouldn't know how much I was spending... :o The tire receipt was one of many that went into the shredder I'm sure.

I sent the remnants of the tire and an estimate for repairs to the manufacturer as they requested. They have inspected the tire and sent me a letter offering to pay for the repairs and reimbursing me for shipping on the tire carcass. They were doing so as a "gesture of good faith" since I couldn't find the receipt and they were really under no legal obligation to do anything. I am very satisfied with their offer and I will sign and return the documents to receive the check for repairs. Before next spring I will replace the tires on the car with a new set of the same size and manufacturer.

In short, they did me right. They didn't have to do anything and I would have been screwed worse if they hadn't stepped up. Unfortunately the letter I'll sign Monday will preclude me from disclosing anything further on this matter. I will not be allowed to disclose the terms of the offer or the amount. Legalease mumbo-jumbo ya know....

SO, thanks Mr and Mrs tire folks ! You did the right thing and I'm grateful. I can't tell you who the company is but here's a pic of the shredded tire for those of you who care to know............

Re: Special " THANKS ! " to a certain tire company.....

That's a good to hear.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

a company who cares

that is rare
      2007 Power Tour Long Haul
      2008 Power Tour Long Haul
      2009 Canadian Points East Tour
      2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
      2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
      2012 Power Tour Long Haul
      2012 Northeast Rod Run
      2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

WOW!...good deal. I always did like the Mr and Mrs Tire folks....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Good to hear since I am planning on changing to this brand of tires on several cars. Glad it worked out for you.
          Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

They would know how old the tire was from the DOT number, the 3 digits are production week and year so a DOT of 369 would be week 36 year 9, also a lot of tire casings are bar coded as well. But congrats and good on the manufacturer

Comment

I have preferred their tires for along time. This just reinforces that my trust is well placed. Great company for sure.
              Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Parent company that bought them and Uniroyal has the mascot the --------- man . looks like a doughnut boy.

Comment

Good on them. Glad to see that they're willing to step up and take responsibility...or at least make it right.
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Dean the greatest overlooked tool is taking time to contact and be rational towards them in situations like this. I for one am not a great _ _ _ fan however your story seems to make aware that they care about their customers and want to put out a good product. Thanks for taking time to share this very important story.
                    200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                    Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Dean, wow, glad to hear the good news! Makes ya still have faith in certain companies! Good to know! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by The Chief
                        They would know how old the tire was from the DOT number, the 3 digits are production week and year so a DOT of 369 would be week 36 year 9, also a lot of tire casings are bar coded as well. But congrats and good on the manufacturer
                        Chief, you're right on track with your DOT number date business. EVERY tire sold in the USA has a 3 or 4 digit code on the sidewall at the end of the DOT number. It is not always present on both sides of the tire so you may have to look for yours on the blackwall or white letter side accordingly. The numbers represent the week and the year of manufacture. A four digit code of 0110 would represent the first week of 2010 etc ...

My tires had a date code of 2002 on them even though I didn't buy them until October of 2004. I know when I bought them by looking at the photos of the restoration and reassembly. This effort was documented extensively through photographs and it is clear they were purchased and mounted between October 22nd, 04 and November 4th, 04. If I had retained my receipt, the manufacturer would have honored my claim without question. Without the receipt, I was really at their mercy. That's what makes this outcome most exceptional. They went above what they were obligated to do. BUT there are two VERY important footnotes to the story.

ONE - They were not immediately willing to do the right thing. After I got past the first guy I spoke to and explained my situation to his supervisor... things took a turn for the better. I was most reasonable in my request for repairs and I calmly explained that I would take the exploded tire carcass to every car show I went to, throw it on the ground beside the new set of tires on the car and tell the world what their tire did to my car. I also explained that of the 6 cars registered to me and in my garage/driveway... all but one are wearing tires manufactured by their company. I doubt that any of this had any positive effect, but it didn't hurt.

TWO - Please check the manufacture dates on your car and don't buy tires that are old stock when it comes time to reshoe your ride. I've learned a very valuable lesson here and I will never again run tires that are more than 6 years old. If that tire had failed me at the 110 + speed I was running outside Keokuk... it could have been a very different outcome.

Check your tires gang and I don't mean just the pressure. Dean

Comment

No problem mate and i totally agree with what you say, 5 years is the life of a tire, the UV and weather along with the tire shine products will slowly break down the rubber compounds as much as running under or over inflated. I have grown up around tires my whole life. The old man worked for Michelin when i was younger, he left and became a tire wholesaler when i was in my teens at the same point i worked at his business partners truck retread plant during the summers i was at school. I have seen so many tires i have lot count lol

I have BFG's on the catalina and next year they will be 4 years old and will run their last powertour even though thats all they have ever covered lol they look like new on the tread but i know that at 4 years they are coming to the end of their life.

By the way this might be helpful to some of you guys, its a formula that michelin teaches for calculating the tire pressures or at least the starting point of where they should be

take the maximum pressure thats printed on the side wall and divide by the maximum load also on the side wall then multiply the answer by the actual vehicle weight. Then divide by 4 to get the pressure for each wheel adding 5% to the fronts

Handy if your changing from crossply to radials or to a non OEM wheel and tire package rather than guessing. Was reading on another classics forum about a guy who was told to run 40psi on a 50's car :o when the actual calculated pressure was 29psi which was a couple of psi above the OEM pressure. He decided that 32psi felt better than the what he was told

Comment

Originally posted by maromoma
                            Dean, wow, glad to hear the good news! Makes ya still have faith in certain companies! Good to know! Thanks for sharing!
                            Yes - thanks for sharing Dean - let's some of us learn something for sure...... !
                            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10
                              Originally posted by maromoma
                              Yes - thanks for sharing Dean - let's some of us learn something for sure...... !
                              Yes, I'll say I still have my F60x15 Wide Oval (Bias Ply) circ 1977 as my spare for my Camaro, last time it was used was 1982. :o
                              It really looks good in the trunk, guess I'll break down & get a new one for real. ;D
                              Humm Have to check to see if I can get a donut type tire incase I really need it.
                              So. Central PA
                              Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

Working...
                              X