Video and Tech: We Fix the Brakes and Drive Goliath, Our Project C50 Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video and Tech: We Fix the Brakes and Drive Goliath, Our Project C50 Truck

Re: Video and Tech: We Fix the Brakes and Drive Goliath, Our Project C50 Truck

That is one Badder Asser truck Brian, good for many a fun times, I'm sure !!

Comment

EXCELLENT!!! Nice Job, Brian......Good Luck with the project!
      Time Wasters...
      http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
      http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

fun stuff! look on the frame, on top of the rail, driver side, in front of the firewall, see if there's a partial VIN stamped on it. if so the first couple digits would be the year. also look at the vin, it has year info in it if it's still there (stainless tag spot welded to door hinge pillar)

66 trucks all had back up lights, and I think windshield washers, they were optional before then.

and you can look at the casting numbers on the engine, bellhousing, and possibly the trans, not sure if the big trucks have that stuff on the rear and brake parts?
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Sweet inline goodness!

Love the backyard engineering on the blow by control - very nice. I wonder if a compression test would yield double digits on all six jugs?

So many possibilities with the old girl - hopefully gears are available to make it more highway friendly....

I would highly recommend you have the blue tip wrench on hand before starting in on that front end rebuild!
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'm going to compression test it this weekend. Should be interesting. There's a ton of pressure in the oil pan. I popped the dip stick out to look at the oil while it was idling and I got showered. It was blowing all the way up to the heater box!

Pulling the motor out is about 3/4 of a mile down the list. :D
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

get one of the boys to sit inside and wiggle the steering wheel back and forth as you look for looseness up front. Be sure to have the key in your pocket first, and block the wheels.....ya know.....

My fabulous web page

Comment

There isn't a single drop of grease in any of the places it should be in the front end. I realize there's most likely more going on than that, but it does give some idea to the level of maintenance this thing was subjected to under the old owner.

Jim, the second digit of the VIN is a 5 would that be the year or the series (C50), but the brake deal threw me for a loop.

Brian

Comment

what are the first several characters of the VIN? leave off the last 6 (which are the actual serial number) for security purposes if you want.

also see if you can find a number stamped on the frame, it should have the same last 6 digits as the VIN
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Jim, I'll check 'em when I get home and post the first few characters.

Brian

Comment

That's pretty cool.

And don't feel bad. My floor boards look equally nice on my 57 effie :'(
                      www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Comment

I can't see the video at work, but I did go through the pictures Oh the joys of bending lines! I never could get that style of bender to work for me, I'd kink it every time :'( So I feel your pain on that, I semi-recently re-plumbed the rear brake lines on the Skylark when I went to the 8.5" and disc brakes. Also had a fair amount of fuel line plumbing.

Originally posted by milner351
                        Love the backyard engineering on the blow by control - very nice.
                        I like squirrel's idea of pouring the oil it catches back into the engine :D
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I bend small lines like brake lines by hand, I use the bender for the "big stuff" 5/16" and 3/8"

My fabulous web page

Comment

Entertaining video, Brian!

You've got the basic "Top Gear" "narrate and drive-without-crashing" skill down . . . now we just need to add some jokes and sarcasm.

The sounds had me flashing back to an unmuffled, partial Synchromesh ("grind-em-if-you-can't-find-em") Blue Bird-on-C50 school bus I had to ride as a kid. Ah the smells of half-burned leaded gasoline and carbon monoxide in the morning . . . .

Of course Goliath's TV career will not be truly complete until: (a) we see it in some crazy race against something completely improbable and (b) "The Stig" shows us what it can really do. :D

Comment

When we have snow and the truck has plates on it.....large donuts.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X