Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There May Still Be Hope for the Late Pontiac G8

Re: There May Still Be Hope for the Late Pontiac G8

It might be a good time to bring back the Buick Wildcat nameplate.

Comment

wildcat would be good..
      but.. buick should put a new name on it..
      one that hasn't been used before..
      WHY.. look at the gto. it was a great car..fast/handled/built good fit and finish was light years ahead of most g.m.'s
      the name killed it.. if it was ,marketed as a bmw killer for the 30-39k bmw's
      it would have sold even better than it did..

Comment

It would make a good Skylark with the LS3, GS with the LS7 and GSX with the LS9 and yellow paint with black stripes.

And by saying it would make a good, I mean I'd buy a green one to match my Skylark.

Comment

Why are they having such a hard time with this? It's a Chevy-period! Call it an Impala SS-(that's what it is)-call it a Caprice-whatever. They're so hung up on trying to convince everyone that "Okay-Buick is Pontiac now-not Buick anymore-okay?" that they can't think straight. Stealing Impala sales? What? First off-SO WHAT. I'm sure they'll be more expensive, and MORE PROFITABLE than any Impala. They NEED that car in the showroom so they can steal sales from Dodge, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, ect.

If they make it a Buick it will bomb. Buick is still the blue-hair division-the new image ain't there yet. Make it a Chevy-and as good as it was as a Pontiac-and they'll have a waiting list. Looks like they still haven't figured out that good cars are more important than "branding".

Comment

Originally posted by kindalas
            It would make a good Skylark with the LS3, GS with the LS7 and GSX with the LS9 and yellow paint with black stripes.

And by saying it would make a good, I mean I'd buy a green one to match my Skylark.
            My first thought was Wildcat, but Skylark/GS/GSX makes sense too. If they make it a Chevy, make up a new name and make the Impala a fullsize, rwd platform again to take on the CV & Charger.
            sigpic

Comment

Fix the counter-intuitive center console window switch mess and a couple other interior trim issues, and consider making it the whole next Impala line. Oshawa might be up to their neck in Camaro production pretty soon anyway. Maybe you build FWD V-6 cars in Oshawa, and let Holden build the V8 stuff in Australia.

Impala SS (LS3), Impala SS 427 (LS7) and leave it at that. By the time you start cramming LS9's into them, you're talking about a powerplant that's worth about as much or more (24k) as the whole rest of the car, and they probably would not see enough of a market. It's not so much of a stretch, this is basically the same idea as what Holden is doing with the car in Australia.

Comment

if I was g.m. i'd never use an old nameplate again..
                car guys will bi tch.. "it's not like my sixty's car"
                it's not worthy of the name wildcat/ skylark/whatever..
                sell it as a chevy. with the model name as pontiac

Comment

Call it an Impala, the police will line up for it,
                  if nothing else.

Comment

Bill, they are going to be sold to police departments only for the time being, just not to the general public. I'm not sure what they'll be called though. Caprice maybe?
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      Bill, they are going to be sold to police departments only for the time being, just not to the general public. I'm not sure what they'll be called though. Caprice maybe?
                      sold as fleet orders.. word is they are also aval. for taxi use..
                      if so.. how hard would it be for a big dealer to order a "fleet" for their sales floor ;D

Comment

Paint'em black, put portholes in the fenders and set them on the Show Room floor. Wild Cat would be a pretty good name. I'd like to see a new name that hasn't been used before and doesn't suck (Like LeCrosse?!?!). Bring back "Going Fast with Class"
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'm thinking more along the lines of Invicta. Not well know, came in a full model range, and was the pre-Wildcat Buick "bankers hotrod".

I'd be happy to have it back and can see the body mods to make it work pretty easily. Buick Portholes would line up pretty well with the styling and the new Lucurne nose wouldn't be hard to get on there.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I had heard not too long ago that GM was bringing the "real" Caprices into the U.S. for emissions exempt (police, fire, municipal govt) use. I guess they are rebadged, LS-powered Holdens that are hot sellers in the Middle East and other parts of the world, but do not fit into the whole CAFE scheme in the US.

I took particular note of the story I read because, of course, my mind immediately went to thinking of finding one of these later at a fleet auction for a song and having a late model, large bodied, comfortable car with a real powerplant in it.

So, there may not be any room for the Caprice badge, unless someone has heard differently...?

Comment

I am under the impression that GM is full of a bunch of clown shoe wearing f#*k sticks if they cannot get this right. I do love my Buicks and would love for my desired brand to pick it up there are other thoughts that need to happen.

The Pontiac and Oldsmobile may not be in production, but GM still owns the rights to these namesakes, just like Chrysler with AMC. Maintaining the rights to any of those astute lineups it's still an LS with a GM body, I may be crucified for it, but hell to be different and grab those sales back...... and introduce a completely left field thought, why not a Oldsmobile Rocket 88???

Comment

Working...
                              X