Flood Watch: Chevy Set to Release Special Edition Camaros Every Six Months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood Watch: Chevy Set to Release Special Edition Camaros Every Six Months

Re: Flood Watch: Chevy Set to Release Special Edition Camaros Every Six Months

"the right combination of content"
    The right combination of content is an LS3/T56 and no other "content." Coincidentally the same combination of content that will never see the light of day. I get angry when they even call it content, content means emblems, spoilers, ipod apps and sound deadener. Things that belong as far away from an "enthusiast vehicle" as possible.

A. Remember the Mustang GTS? Neither does anyone else. They sold 8 of them and 3 were to dealers who retrofitted them into v6 models.
    B. The Zeta Camaro is still new (but the Zeta isn't) The new platform will be here before they're worried about the tiny incremental sales a "stripper" model would generate.
    C. Bob Lutz' shadow... somehow he accrued this reputation as an "enthusiast" when his real personal hobby was scope creep and feature bloat. His nickname should really be Maximum Pricetag.

(Spoiler alert) After the ZL1 comes out, the Z28 following it will be the LS7 (or derivative). At that point, they'll start adding expensive carbon sill plates and scoops to models but not gutting things like 80 lb steering wheels or Onstar.

They figure all us "give me a metal box with a huge engine and a manual for cheap" die hard customers already died from holding our breath for a stripped down S197, or a stripped down LX hemi, or any rearwheel drive v8 under $30k that doesn't have a tailgate.

Honestly, I'm only ever going to put up with a car payment again if I can buy ONLY the "Content" I want. Until then, I'll just build my own cars out of crap I find laying on the side of the road. The rent is too damn high!
    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Maybe they should have a model called the "American Addition" where someone over 5'10" can sit in it, not have your left ear pressed against the headliner and actually be able to reach the steering wheel and see that tach. If they had one of those I'd already be driving it. Lower slick rooflines are great, if you design a seat that goes down low enough, or you're a cast member of one of the 17 midget tv shows they now have on TLC (or Turk). Otherwise pretty useless to the average height american male.

Comment

I am 6'4" and fit in the camaro ok

Comment

Transformer edition.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
            I am 6'4" and fit in the camaro ok
            But you can't see out of any window but the windshield. I'm 6'3" and couldn't stomach it. I'm fitting in my S197 pretty well, but mine's about as "stripped" as I think they came, and it's pretty lux'd out.

There is a new stripper vehicle out, but it has a tailgate: Ram Tradesman. It's the stripper truck with the 5.7, transmission oil cooler, 3.55 rear, a decent stereo, and not much else.

And you can ditch power locks, windows, remote crap, etc. and spec out the drivetrain.
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Work trucks are pretty easy to get stripper models still. We have a 2009 F-250 Super Duty crew cab 4x4 that is rubber floor covering, manual windows and locks. The only options are the A/C, Cruise Control and CD player. We have an '06 F-250 that's the same without the Cruise Control and CD player (yup, just AM/FM radio).
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

My 04 GMC WT (white trash?) half ton is the same way. AC... that's it. Radio, handcrank windows, rubber floor, manual locks, manual transfer case, no rear window anything. Man I love that truck.
                Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

at 6'1" i can't get my head out of the roof and still be able to get up on the wheel far enought to handle the car in any thing other than highway cruising. Maybe if the wheel came back another 3 inches it would be ok, but i have the seat leaned wayyyyy back. If its got a sun roof, forget it, i'm SOL. I've tried all the trim packages hoping the seating would be just different enough no such luck. The stang is way better, but it doesn't have adjustable height shoulder belts and it digs into my wifes neck like a chain saw through a snowman.... I'll stick with my truck and dream about a c6...

Comment

Originally posted by greenjunk
                    Maybe they should have a model called the "American Addition" where someone over 5'10" can sit in it, not have your left ear pressed against the headliner and actually be able to reach the steering wheel and see that tach. If they had one of those I'd already be driving it. Lower slick rooflines are great, if you design a seat that goes down low enough, or you're a cast member of one of the 17 midget tv shows they now have on TLC (or Turk). Otherwise pretty useless to the average height american male.
                    I am 6'4" and was able to make myself fairly comfortable in a new Camaro in the showroom recently, in spite of the optimistic seat bolsters on the buckets. One of the many reasons I always liked Corvettes was that they were one of the very few sports cars that realized that not all of their prospective buyers were 5'10" and wore 34"/30" jeans. Vettes have legroom. My '82 had plenty, and my friend's C6 does as well. Nothing has changed. On the rare occasion I drove a Viper, and a Testarossa, I found myself totally cramped and staring into the sun visor for a sight line on the road. No matter how much I earn in my life and have to spend on toys, there are certain cars I will never find comfort in because of my height. Thats a bitter pill to swallow. This also has a lot to do with why I drive everywhere when I travel the US, but that's another story...

Comment

This whole Tradesman thing is driving me up a god-damned wall. Nothing wrong with the truck, it seems like a fine machine.

I give Chrysler credit for selling all the jackwad Prius driving dinks who write about this stuff and believe that ChryCo has stumbled upon some magical formula that has heretofore never been envisioned a strong bill of goods. The dinks, who have only test driven King Ranch, Denali, and MegaCab versions of trucks, couldn't conceive of such a thing as a work trucks. Shit, telling them that the only option available in a pickup truck for about 50 years was rubber floor mats would cause their heads to explode.

It really is amazing to see how big a deal has been made about this thing. Again, no fault of the truck, but it is a pretty clear illustration of just how twisted our automotive world has become when it is big news that someone is building a freaking truck that isn't loaded to the gills with useless bullshit.

Ahhhhh....now I feel better.
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Easy there cowboy. I'm looking at getting rid of my stripper 2500hd EX CAB for a MEGA CAB leather dvd nav sunroof 4X4 diesel because no matter what you say THEY ARE A WICKED PISSAH. Just because you play hard and work hard doesn't mean you shouldn't ride in complete luxury.... I do think all trucks should come with rubber floors though. Carpet is stupid... What i just did in my 2500hd 2 weeks ago there would have been no carpet left. Call me a sissy, but don't tell me you wouldn't want to be chillin in the back seat watching a dvd with your feet stretched on a long haul, then cramped in the back of an ext cab....

Comment

It's all good. I don't have anything against loaded trucks, just people who seem to be completely blown away by a truck that doesn't have all the "good" stuff in it.

(wicked pissah is right!)

Brian
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

sight lines... oh get me started... my H3, I need to break down an buy a stoplight prism like they had in the 50s and 60s for chop top coupes. The seat doesn't go low enough to see a close stoplight so I do the broken neck bend just to see when the damn light turns green... reason #1 why I won't buy a new camaro. fortunately, people are used to honking at Hummers (I do live in Seattle after all) so I really don't have to pay attention - the purple-faced-pruis driver is doing it for me.

I do like my H3, and unlike most of my 4x4 brothern I've found that carpet is way better then floormats because rubber floormats do two things 1 - make it impossible to clean with anything but water; and 2 - trap water under the floormats... fortunately #2 is self-fixing because flintstone floors are not far behind with rubber floormats. However, why the heck I need all the other bloat is well beyond me - has any one of the jackhammers been stuck and had to dig themselves out? Really, I know I'm not any kind of engineer, but it's far easier to dig a samurai out then a 5000 or 8000 lb pickup.... However, the leather seats to make a nice place to rest while digging, and sammi seats are not comfortable - so I guess it's all a wash. (figuratively)
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                            X