Wrecked 1963 Studebaker Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studemax View Post
    You Bowtie bastards make fun of EVERYTHING, and trash any other brand CONSTANTLY.
    But when one guy waves the flag for his fave, you lose your shit.

#### YOU.
    That's brand profiling... not all of us bastards are created equally! BTW what engine was in the Avanti II after Studebaker folded? I'd be glad to tell you.... a friends parents bought one new in the 70's.

Have a Nice Day!
    Last edited by silver_bullet; December 14, 2018, 04:56 AM.
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Rather than 'here' as in BS.com, if you're just popping in to mock the styling, why not read the title of the thread and say to yourself 'meh, ugly cars, don't care' and move on?

That sort of thinking will go a lot further than insisting that you can throw your derisory two cents in and be a dick for no reason.

Comment

If there's any question, I personally find all marques intriguing...I have owned several, learned to drive in what many would refer to as an ugly car, and can't see why some get their feathers ruffled .... we're all in this game together, and except for a few notable exceptions can help, as well as learn from each other... I may be a "bowtie bastard", but , I am also a Pontiac phanatic, oldsmobile obsessor, buick buf, Ford freak, dodge boy, and have even owned or lusted over an import or two... can't we all just get along?
        Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Dad had a 52 Willys. Cute little car. Flathead 6, 3 on the tree with a broken handle.. Just a 4" stub to shift.
          That was a much better riding/driving car than his 61 Ranchero..

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
            Rather than 'here' as in BS.com, if you're just popping in to mock the styling, why not read the title of the thread and say to yourself 'meh, ugly cars, don't care' and move on?

That sort of thinking will go a lot further than insisting that you can throw your derisory two cents in and be a dick for no reason.
            Better idea, is if you don't care for someone's opinion, don't go off the deep end.
            I think the lark nose looks more in like for a 2 seater. but OMG. can't state that.
            HINT there is a reason they folded. So. I'll leave it at that.
            I like all brands, but that does not mean I have to like all models or even years of a model I like.
            I think the Race wide body Monza looks great, I think the 1979 ranchero looks great, I like a bunch of off the wall stuff, but I'd not go off the deep end if someone didn't think they where as cool as I did, and post a F you rant. like a 2y/o.

Comment

I wonder why CoPart or any state would call the car "non-rebuildable" - I've fixed far worse....
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                I wonder why CoPart or any state would call the car "non-rebuildable" - I've fixed far worse....
                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Laws . . . Lots of places have a "percentage of damage" rule that requires such branding so that doofuses who buy this kind of stuff after some con-man sorta "repairs" it are somehow protected.

On the other hand, it's not as if you can cruise down to Pep or Advance or your local salvage yard and score any body parts for that heap o' shattered, orphaned fiberglass . . . So maybe it's generally truthful.

Avanti is kind of a weird mid-century modern artifact that is fascinating but lacks the elegance of some of the Detroit 3 designs, if not also some of "Lowey's" prior works. But maybe if Stude had build a million of them, we'd all see it as a category benchmark instead of a curious, bottom-of-the-9th swing-and-a-miss. (Oh I hope they don't revoke my Bangshifter's card for such muted aesthetic criticism) . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                    HINT there is a reason they folded. So. I'll leave it at that.
                    They didn't exactly "fold" they just quit building cars and trucks (and in ridiculous, inefficient places like Gipper-town and Canada) They were pretty much always thinly capitalized in the automotive era. Albert Erskine even whacked himself over it back in the day . . . It did a lot better with the shareholders' dough investing in other stuff and trading/merging with other companies afterward

Comment

HINT there is a reason they folded.
                      Studebaker is STILL in business.... They don't make cars anymore, but they make industrial cleaning machinery and medical testing equipment.

Oh, and to those who keep misspelling it.... it's LOEWY, not Lowey.
                      Last edited by studemax; December 14, 2018, 03:38 PM.
                      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I was just having fun with it. He didn't design much of that stuff himself any how. He was the boss. Grunts did much of the real work. He snagged the credit . . .sort of like a George Barris type . . . . There are a couple of decent industrial design books about his organization.
                        Air Force One, Lucky Strikes, Coca-Cola — this man basically created Americana.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post

i didnt realize that was what an avanti looked like. so i took a look, and i dont care for it.
                          still it a bummer it got wrecked, but that wasnt my point--my point is what gives other
                          peeps the right to dictate what i can and cant do on an open forum?

you mean kinda like you just did there? or no......wait, now im confused...........
                          Last edited by fatguyzinc; December 14, 2018, 09:37 PM.

Comment

You Bowtie bastards make fun of EVERYTHING, and trash any other brand CONSTANTLY.
                            But when one guy waves the flag for his fave, you lose your shit.

#### YOU.

#### me? sorry, i prefer ladies.
                            and TRUST me when i say you aint man enough to try and #### me.
                            ok bye bye then.

Comment

So that vin doesn't end up on another body/frame car. That has a dirty history. That can't be titled, because the original vin is on the hot list.
                              Last edited by Eric; December 15, 2018, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Studebaker is STILL in business.... They don't make cars anymore, but they make industrial cleaning machinery and medical testing equipment.

Are they in the automotive business, no. They folded that operations.
                                Companies don't do that to money making operations.

Comment

Working...
                                X