$40,000 lawn mower.... I'm stunned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $40,000 lawn mower.... I'm stunned.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	112.3 KB ID:	1331618

I about fell over today when I saw one of these on display for nearly $42,000.... all so you can make ruts in your yard it weighs nearly 1500 lbs (vs. 820 lbs for gas)

It's all electric

4 1/2 hour run time, 8 hour charge time.... this isn't for professionals...

and the comparable gas... $7,000....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 18, 2023, 05:22 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Nope! Won't buy it. Or the new electric Corvette. The electric grid is already overstressed. And no one seems to consider the afterlife of the batteries. As hot rodders we can be proud of our need to recycle car junk into a working vehicle, saving most of the environmental cost of manufacturing new and scrapping the used... don't get me started

Comment

In our economy, you can pretty-much count on it that a manufactured item that cost $2 took roughly twice the energy to make, and was twice as much of a strain on the environment, as something that cost $1. So by that loose but solid logic, if you bought the electric mower, the cost to the environment at the moment of purchase was the same as if you bought one gas mower, and also four more gas mowers and tossed the four into the dump (your formula for amortization between the types may vary). Pretty heroic huh.

Today I just let all the old crap that has been working for me for years just keep on doing its' job and didn't buy anything new. So I'm kinda figuring that I'm the environmentalist.

Comment

Shocking! (Somebody had to say it)

Comment

I still can't get over my $8000 (Canadian) Cub Cadet....

But that does look almost exactly like my outgoing Toro that now mows the horse paddock weeds with 23hp of Kawasaki fury!
          (Same engine as my new mower, BTW)

1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
          1997 Mustang GT
          sigpic

Comment

And this is my Argument to my Sons on Why I Hire My Lawn Care Out.
            7-8,000 for a good Zero Turn Mower, Plus Gas, Belts, Blades, Deck Welding,....etc.
            Do the Math, it is cheaper for someone to mow the lawn as a side hustle.
            AND I have 8-10 hours a month for My Time

Comment

Originally posted by Teddyzee View Post
              I still can't get over my $8000 (Canadian) Cub Cadet....

But that does look almost exactly like my outgoing Toro that now mows the horse paddock weeds with 23hp of Kawasaki fury!
              (Same engine as my new mower, BTW)
              what is that, $200 US? kidding, I bought a new Cadet when we moved into our house... think it was 5k.... but just the difference in price alone would be lawn care for at least a decade (but we only lawn care 6 months a year... so there is that)

The other issue is the weight... I have to be careful not to run the same tracks on my yard to avoid getting ruts, twice the weight and there would be no avoiding it..
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

EV's will turn out like the "pet rock" once the brain dead find out how expensive replace batteries will be and disposal of old batteries.
                Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                  And this is my Argument to my Sons on Why I Hire My Lawn Care Out.
                  7-8,000 for a good Zero Turn Mower, Plus Gas, Belts, Blades, Deck Welding,....etc.
                  Do the Math, it is cheaper for someone to mow the lawn as a side hustle.
                  AND I have 8-10 hours a month for My Time
                  Me too, only it was SWMBO who originally hired the firm we still use, back in 2015, when the first 2 discs blew out in my back. A typical summer is 5 or 6 cuttings at $60/visit last summer. So $360. And I was given the Troybilt machine I have 13 or 14 years ago. So far to date I've spent $55 + gas money (and that's not much since it hasn't been used since 2015).

Comment

ME and I both have grass allergies so hiring it done is a medical necessity more or less. Besides, I don't have to do it. I HAVE done it but that really wasn't pleasant.

Comment

Working...
                    X