Magazine Math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazine Math

You know over the years and in posting on these forums it always seems that when someone quotes a magazine article, someone else will come back saying it isn't true or they are fudging the facts. So what gives?? How accurate is the reporting in these magazine articles. And Dave as Editor of HR, what is your take on the accuracy of the articles?? And at that how much fudging of the facts(if any) do you guys do to help promote a certain advertiser.

Re: Magazine Math

Trade secret :P
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I can only tell you what I have seen in person ....

David will not FUDGE anything .... Period.... if it's 206.999 and he's not going to include the tenths.... it's 206mph...

Simply stated for him it's a matter of integrity.... bout that simple.. the man won't lie to you to make a story better....

Now if there is a way to include All the Facts better .... he'll do that..... oh and interestingly enough... Tonya and I both are astounded with his "reporting" ability.... the guy just remembers the most incredible little details that add to the Fray....

K

K

Comment

back in 83 , HRM had a muffler shootout - the sonic turbo won
        we don't see that kind of hard hitting journalism anymore

Comment

I do have to agree with Keith, the few conversations I've been in and around with DF, integrity is a BIG key point. Rather a rule in a rule book or reporting how something happened or was done. Of course I'm sure some facts are omitted or downplayed occassionally to soften a negative result, but nothing factually wrong.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
            You know over the years and in posting on these forums it always seems that when someone quotes a magazine article, someone else will come back saying it isn't true or they are fudging the facts. So what gives?? How accurate is the reporting in these magazine articles. And Dave as Editor of HR, what is your take on the accuracy of the articles?? And at that how much fudging of the facts(if any) do you guys do to help promote a certain advertiser.
            :D Just having a little fun with you. I think I may have mis-communicated my intent with the "magazine math" remark. I was not questioning the integrity of magazine article reporters or the articles themselves, nor did I say they fudged anything. It was more a question of you using magazine article results as an effective way to establish your car's ET. The fact you use "XYZ" parts and in the article the car ran "XXX" seldom equates to the same results for all that use the same parts. We all know the guy that has spent tons of money on all the parts recommended in the magazines and still has a slow car, and the guy with next to nothing that is very quick. Your car may be slower or faster than the article you referred to, but I doubt it runs exactly the same.

You do ask a good question here. The articles should be reviewed with a critical eye, an awareness of who is paying the bills, and who is doing the article. Hopefully the facts are in the article, but there is always ways to word or organize facts and stats to portray the results in different ways.

Comment

DF put in the magazine some years back,
              that many other editors didn't care for him
              because he was "no BS".

He prints the truth, which in some cases
              went opposite what was SOP back then.

He even made sure to put as much into
              their price sheets, so as not to "fudge" the numbers.

Comment

I've read some articles in adult magazines. Although I did exactly as the article stated, my real world exerience just didn't work out the same. :P

"Hey, are there still red finger marks on my cheek? I gotta go pick mom up from AA. I hope she doesn't notice."
                ;D

Comment

I doubled the horsepower on my wagon by bolting on 7 parts that each gave me a 10% - 15% increase in power :

Comment

Hah! Old TubbedCamaro was running off all kinds of magazine test quotes when he was bad-mouthing Edelbrock products not too long ago, he claimed some test in a cylinder head shoot off was like something written in the bible.

Comment

? Reply #9 on: Today at 08:02:02 PM ? Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Hah! Old TubbedCamaro was running off all kinds of magazine test quotes when he was bad-mouthing Edelbrock products not too long ago, he claimed some test in a cylinder head shoot off was like something written in the bible.

? Reply #10 on: Today at 08:29:27 PM ? Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Yuppers, TubbedCamaro thought the words in that issue was the holy grail. Talked all kinds of flow rates and such, a real bookworm right there.
                      C'mon Alex, where are you? Poor Bobbie had the bait out hangin' there for a full 27 minutes and...nothing. ;) :D

Comment

He must be at Fry's reading all the latest issues.

Comment

Well I look through them too, but never quote stuff out of them and later try to get the "real story" on some message board. Talk about working it both ways. :

Comment

Originally posted by seanm
                            :D Just having a little fun with you. I think I may have mis-communicated my intent with the "magazine math" remark. I was not questioning the integrity of magazine article reporters or the articles themselves, nor did I say they fudged anything. It was more a question of you using magazine article results as an effective way to establish your car's ET. The fact you use "XYZ" parts and in the article the car ran "XXX" seldom equates to the same results for all that use the same parts. We all know the guy that has spent tons of money on all the parts recommended in the magazines and still has a slow car, and the guy with next to nothing that is very quick. Your car may be slower or faster than the article you referred to, but I doubt it runs exactly the same.

You do ask a good question here. The articles should be reviewed with a critical eye, an awareness of who is paying the bills, and who is doing the article. Hopefully the facts are in the article, but there is always ways to word or organize facts and stats to portray the results in different ways.
                            Hey Sean, no worries, I didn't start this thread because of what you said, but it did get me to thinking about what kind of effort goes into writing the articles and reporting the facts. I know by talking with DF that he's a stand up guy and that is why I put a lot of trust into the articles that are in HR and CC. All those guys from both those mags are trust worthy IMO. Same goes for GM High Tech, they seem to tell it as it is. As for my car your right I may be slower and I might be quicker and I fully understand that. But what I find interesting is both GMHTP and CC had articles with 4th generation F-bodies and they got both of them to run low 12's without messing with the stock LS1. So basically I have seen what these cars like mine will do, which now sets a goal for me to achieve. ;)

Oh and buy the way I didn't fallow those articles to the "T". Just used them as guidelines for the build. Like with the Converter, I believe in the GMHTP article they used a TCI unit, where as I used a Yank Converter, which is a way better converter than the TCI unit, even though they both have the same 3800 stall speed.

Comment

they used a TCI unit, where as I used a Yank Converter, which is a way better converter than the TCI unit
                              did the magazines tell you that too? im just kidding haha :D

Comment

Working...
                              X