• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most perfect blues song ever?

Originally posted by peewee
    Originally posted by ghustler
    Anyone other than a white guy.
    B.B. King sang from real feelings, white guys try to out do everyone and just sing for the hell of singing for attention.
    WHILE I wouldn't go quite that far every time, yeah most white guys ain't "got it."

B.B.'s opening act was a white kid with a three-piece. He had a Strat and had Stevie Ray's album licks absolutely nailed. His vocals even sounded a lot like Stevie. That's all he did for a whole set.

I was wholly unimpressed. He learned that mechanically from tableture. We didn't have that tool available when I was a kid. I was wondering the whole time, ok that's pretty cool, but what can YOU play? If that makes any sense.
    Thats what I mean!

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
      Good call, Ron. Definitely have to include Mr. Collins in this thread.

Nine minutes and 35 seconds of blues perfection -
      Long version of Texas Flood by stevie ray vaughn ! Texas Flood is an electric blues album by blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan and his band Double Trouble, ...

Dan
      Dan, I absolutely love this song! I believe I have abut 4 different versions of him doing this song, it just blows me away. The one and only Mr. Stevie Ray Vaughan
      "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

Yup. I've got that whole set on VHS, "Live at the Mocambo." (In Toronto)

On the back cover - Drummer Chris Layton recalls, "It was just a straight live performance, there just happened to be cameras there."
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

It's a terrible thing for me to say but it's something I've thought and believed for decades. From a musical/performance standpoint, and that's always totally subjective, I think Stevie Ray was way better ON drugs than off. You take that whole Live at the Mocambo set - unbelievable.

And then look at the Austin City Limits performances. The first one, Stevie was ripped. The second one, he had gone away and got clean and sober and now he's back. There was marked difference. After he cleaned up he had a bunch of horns and keyboards he was hiding behind. And when he finally took a lead break, it was just that - a lead break in a structured song. And he seemed to be playing the guitar like a tool playing it -- not pouring his heart and soul through it for us all to witness.

He was still great, but there was a big difference. If the first time I'd ever seen or heard him had been on the second Austin City Limits performance, I'dda said, dang that guy is FAST. He's GOOD. That's all I would have said.

But nothing quite like before.

I hate it, but it's my own silly opinion.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

If people would just give drugs a chance I think you would see great things.
            I took a quadlude :o once I saw great things, but I can't remember what it was?
            I do remember how good 3 days of sleep felt 8)

Comment

SRV and double trouble went down a few notches with the addition of keyboards

Comment

I gotta disagree with you guys. I saw Stevie live seven times - before and after Rehab. His early post-rehab concerts were a bit shaky, as I think was to be expected. As he went along he just got better and better. Reece is a heck of a keyboard player and I'm a sucker for Hammond B3 so maybe I'm biased but I think he added tremendously to the sound. I also think Stevie got comfortable enough with himself to not have to ALWAYS be the star - he could let Reece or one of the other guys take a turn as the front man.

BTW - Eric Clapton took him to rehab and there was no choice. He'd have been dead without it - literally. He was near death when he was taken in - too much of too much. By all accounts, once he was cleaned up he NEVER did any junk again and stayed clean until his death. I have his biography and it's a fascinating read. He dictated much of it directly to the author so it's not based on guesses and innuendo.

Dan

Comment

took the edge off of the music , saw them A LOT in the old days
                  johnny winter never had keyboards , except if edgar played with jw , but I never got to see those shows

Comment

I understand what Peewee's saying, I've often thought the same myself. Got his first and last Austin City Limits and there is a difference. Both great but I prefer the first :-\

Comment

okay, seeing as were talking blues here, what do you 'all think of Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)?
                      Here's a sample, great tune

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegaman
                        okay, seeing as were talking blues here, what do you 'all think of Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)?
                        Here's a sample, great tune

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                        see original post
                        Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

ha ha, oops (wipes egg off face) how about this then

Fabulous Thunderbirds

Comment

Working...
                          X