Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

license plate in carry on luggage? TSA issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: license plate in carry on luggage? TSA issues?

Last March we went to LA for a few days. I bought a metal sign that said "Speed Equipment Sold Here". At the time I had no other choice, so I put it in my carry on luggage. I was worried about it, and sure enough, they pulled my luggage to find out what was in there. After they checked it out, they let me through with it.

I would bet they would do the same with a license plate.

Comment

"Hello, M-DOT? This is Officer Barney Fife with the TSA at Detroit International Airport. I have a passenger attempting to board a flight with a Michigan automobile license plate in his carry-on luggage. I'd like to run the plate if I could... thank you..."

:D
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
        Presuming your bag makes it to its destination.... FedEx your bag - it will be much more likely to get there - and you can get insurance to cover it if it doesn't....

New Truck? ummm, we need quite a few more details!!!!
        Hell with it, just Fed-Ex the truck to you and never leave home. :D

Comment

If checking your bag is out of the question, don't wait for the TSA to find it and ask you questions. Let them know in advance that you have a plate in your bag. It shows you're not trying to hide it, or sneak something through.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

i brought a PA plate home with me on my last trip with no issues..however...I would check it or send it becasue it is upthe that particular agents discretion at the time....
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Abrasive
              Originally posted by Buickguy
              Presuming your bag makes it to its destination.... FedEx your bag - it will be much more likely to get there - and you can get insurance to cover it if it doesn't....

New Truck? ummm, we need quite a few more details!!!!
              Hell with it, just Fed-Ex the truck to you and never leave home. :D
              My ex father-in-law fed ex'd himself a YZ250.... it helped that he works for them and got the discount, but was still somewhere in the 750 neighborhood for price....

perhaps attach the license plate to the outside of your carryon and call it decoration?
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

and where does that 1k difference put the price of the 01 powersuck at..

Comment

Just to add some credibility, if you want to do it in the carry-on, I would bring the registration for it to show it's your plate.

Also, usually you can get to the beginning of the security line where there's a few TSA employees standing around. Maybe go to one of them and pose the question to them before you check in at the flight counter, this way if they see it as an issue, you can check in and check the bag.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by joebogey
                    Also, usually you can get to the beginning of the security line where there's a few TSA employees standing around. Maybe go to one of them and pose the question to them before you check in at the flight counter, this way if they see it as an issue, you can check in and check the bag.
                    Once when I came to the States for holiday, I bought a bunch of parts for my Harley (cam, carburetor, ignition module, etc.) and wanted to carry them on to ensure the sensitive parts were taken care of. Well, each time I came through the security line, I got a different TSA officer and they had a problem with a different part each time. After the third trip through, I said "Can you guy's please tell me what parts are going to cause me a problem, all at the same time" !!

The TSA guy said ... "Oh a smart ass huh ? Sir, please step over here and take your shoes, belt and shirt off" !
                    He proceeded to swab everything down and put through the explosives sniffer and caused me as much grief as possible.
                    After a half hour of me cooperating and saying "Yes sir, no sir", I finally got to carry everything on with the exception of the ignition module (a component with exposed wiring is apparently a big no-no).

Shesh !!!
                    :P

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                      Originally posted by joebogey
                      Once when I came to the States for holiday, I bought a bunch of parts for my Harley (cam, carburetor, ignition module, etc.) and wanted to carry them on to ensure the sensitive parts were taken care of. Well, each time I came through the security line, I got a different TSA officer and they had a problem with a different part each time. After the third trip through, I said "Can you guy's please tell me what parts are going to cause me a problem, all at the same time" !!

The TSA guy said ... "Oh a smart ass huh ? Sir, please step over here and take your shoes, belt and shirt off" !
                      He proceeded to swab everything down and put through the explosives sniffer and caused me as much grief as possible.
                      After a half hour of me cooperating and saying "Yes sir, no sir", I finally got to carry everything on with the exception of the ignition module (a component with exposed wiring is apparently a big no-no).

Shesh !!!
                      :P
                      It's to prevent a scenario like that that made me post this in the first place - and will be well worth the $19 checked bag fee - I will also be putting in there a small tool kit, cam position sensor, gps, etc.

FYI - I'm getting the '01 "powersuck" truck for $8500.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

+ air fare time and gas opps fuel sorry.
                        is that still a good deal.
                        dads still tool'n around in an '84 fuel burner with a 460 intertrashtional

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                          + air fare time and gas opps fuel sorry.
                          is that still a good deal.
                          dads still tool'n around in an '84 fuel burner with a 460 intertrashtional
                          My son and I flew from Pgh to J'ville FL, stayed one night in a motel and drove my Dodge Cummins back the next day (on just over a tank of gas).

Was it worth it?

Every time I idle down the road pulling 10000lbs never having to go above 2200rpm even to go up relatively steep hills it is. My last "pulling" truck was a GMC with a 454 in it. It's like comparing a Kenworth to a chevy luv. If I put the tranny in 4wd low, 1st gear and just drop the clutch at idle - whatever is hooked up to the back end is going to move. It's a really cool feeling to have a 27 foot enclosed trailer with 4500lbs inside it hooked up, and you're backing through a parking lot with your foot not even on the gas. Like low speed cruise control.

Comment

I'm with you Ponchoman.

I just sold a '97 F250 for $7500 - mostly because it was not rusty like most of them are up here.
                            I used that truck for 5 years and made money on it when I sold it.

In this case - I would be flying down there anyway - and driving something back, since my wife doesn't want to put our 2 month old son on a plane (she drove down with her Mom who's staying down there until spring)
                            .... it might have been a rental car if I'd not found a truck that worked for us down there.

Comment

My advice, dont fly. TSA can go **** ***** ***** **** and **** their ******** with a ******. I will not be flying ever again, unless I am the one driving the plane. After the hassle they put me through the last time no freakin way. It takes me 13 hours to drive to Nebraska. Flying took me two days. I think the train would have been faster.

Fed Ex or UPS overnight it instead, dont give the TSA any more stuff than they already have, like two of my Airmen's Playstation/Xbox and all the DVDs that were in our big green checked bags when we deployed the last time. They cut the locks off and took anything of value out of the bags, and this was marked military baggage.

Comment

Fed Ex or UPS overnight it instead, dont give the TSA any more stuff than they already have, like two of my Airmen's Playstation/Xbox and all the DVDs that were in our big green checked bags when we deployed the last time. They cut the locks off and took anything of value out of the bags, and this was marked military baggage.

THAT JUST SUUUUUUUUUCKS!

Comment

Working...
                                X