Dannmar lifts - Wej-It Anchors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dannmar lifts - Wej-It Anchors

Guys, just thought I'd mention some experiences of late associated with the attempted installation of a Dannmar/Bendpak MaxJax lift - that may well also be similar to an issue in their other lifts. It's safety related so I thought I'd at least mention it.

I have only 8' ceilings in my shop, so a regular lift is out of the question. Plus, it's a multi-purpose shop so a 4 post lift would be too intrusive. But I always wanted at least a mid-rise lift. The advantages of the MaxJax lift really seemed to fit the bill. After a long period of consideration, I ordered a set from Portage Lift in Ohio (good people). After receipt of the lifts, I started assembly. No big deal, but I noticed that the installation and operations manual seemed to be out of date, with some unaddressed changes to the design. Since the failure mode of this product would be fatal, I reached out to Dannmar - who acknowledged that they needed to update the manual. No big deal - the issues were not significant IMHO.

However when I started the process of actually installing the concrete anchors and setting the lift posts was underway, I began to experience issues getting the anchors set. My concrete is about 25yrs old, in great condition, above 3000psi, and at least 4" thick. I followed Dannmars instructions to the T. A number of the anchors just would not set. This issue has been reported on other sites, such as "The Garage Journal Board".

So, I then did some research on the Wej-It PD-58 "Power Drop" anchors and discovered a completely different instruction directly from Wej-It. I contacted Wej-It directly, and they were incredibly helpful. I provided them the instructions direction from Dannmar (sent them the actual document and the link) and they indicated that Dannmar was using an incorrect procedure that could result in the anchor not properly setting.

I called Dannmar, and informed them. They said they'd call back later that day. When I did not hear from them I called them the next day. They acknowledged at that time that they had made and error, and started trying to figure out how to fix this. A new recommendation was to use a standard Wej-It 7/8" wedge anchor as a temporary solution, and that they'd "work out something" to fix my concrete and get correct anchors in this spring. Later, after again researching through Wej-It I discover that the 7/8" wedge anchor required at least twice the diameter of concrete remains under the anchor - the concrete cannot be drilled "through" (which Dannmar knew it had been). Also, the 7/8" "studs" on those wedge anchors would not fit through the mounting baseplate on the lift columns (which are designed for 5/8" bolts). Not a solution. I emailed this information to Gabe at Dannmar.

Later last night I get a phone call from Gabe, telling me that Wej-It is "wrong" and that the MaxJax "doesn't need the full capability" of the PD-58 anchor - so the instructions Dannmar provided are fine. They say that if you ask Wej-It, "all lifts are not installed properly". I tell them that this is not acceptable to me - that when a failure would result in death, "guessing" at setting an anchor is ridiculous, and when the actual anchor manufacturer is strongly disagreeing about setting the anchor - we should pay attention. Gabe says they've "tested" and point to a specification on their site - which is a REQUIREMENTS spec that mathematically calculates the REQUIRED shear and stress factors of each bolt. It does not TEST to show ACTUAL stress of shear ratings of bolts installed as per their discussions. In fact, it uses the same factors PROVIDED BY WEJ-IT ASSUMING YOU ARE INSTALLING THEM AS PER WEJ-IT instructions. I get nothing but BS back. I believe at this point they are covering their behind, and are denying any issues because if they admit to it and there is a failure, they will have already accepted culpability legally. In other words - they're placing their financial situation far ahead of your life.

Wej-It on the other hand has been extremely helpful and honest. They have discussed "practical" impacts and measures - and not just theoretical.

So at this point I'm at a crossroad. The lift itself seems OK. I could just ignore all the Dannmar crap, and install anchors "correctly". Or, I could just have them pick the lift up.

Which would you do?

And BTW - If any of you have installed a Dannmar lift, I'd think about taking a hard look at anchor setting. If you want specific details about where Dannmar went wrong, let me know.

Re: Dannmar lifts - Wej-It Anchors

My Bend-Pak came with Wej-it anchors. The instructions for the anchors were from Wej-it themselves, and included in the instruction pack from bend-pak.

Were yours just not "biting" into the concrete? What exactly went wrong?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

My Whip lift did not come with anchors.

I used red-head anchors and had no issues.

Good for you for being diligent with this situation.

Part of me says to ask the uncooperative lift manufacturer to take thier lift and shove it - however, they will surely keep some of your money for a restocking fee, shipping, delivery, etc.

And - if this design is the one that will work better for your situation than any other - well, then - you have no alternative but to keep it, and report your findings to the better business buraeu.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

from a legal perspective what the bendpak rep said is far worse (denial) then if they were to say "yep, some people have that problem, but we've found _____" there is a protection at law for companies that acknowledge and attempt remedy of a problem - the ones that are severely punished are the ones that deny everything (as a legal strategy.)

That said, can you set the bolts in epoxy? My dad's lift was put in that way, and it works slick.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My cheapie came with Red Heads and they worked OK - except one where I got the hole too big somehow. My local bolt supplier (a Red Head dealer) suggested that I set that one in epoxy, which worked great. He said that this is the standard fix in the construction industry and is done all the time. A tube of magic goo and all is well.

Dan

Comment

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Nobody should install a lift with wedge style anchors. I understand that its a very broad statement but... my best friend works in high capacity HVAC systems, lots of vibration, lots of weight. They are not allowed to use anything but epoxied anchors, by code and by their structural engineers.

I build houses for a living. I cannot use wedge anchors, any anchors must either be in place when the concrete is poured or we have to use epoxied anchors. Those epoxied anchors are subject to three inspections including a pull test.

Ask Danmar for the structural engineer's stamped letter approving the use of the wedge anchors and under what conditions.

Comment

I like rotary or mohawk , but my boss buys all of the lifts

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower

Ask Danmar for the structural engineer's stamped letter approving the use of the wedge anchors and under what conditions.
                  I asked Dannmar for proof of use of "partially set" anchors - knowing that no such thing would ever exist. The guy at Dannmar pointed back to the Specification which shows how much stress is created at full capacity - not any testing whateover. I lead him through the logic, you know -

OK, the requirements show the mechanical stress and shear, right? Answer: Yes.
                  And, the results indicate that there is a total moment of 138589 in-lbs total at full extension and full capacity, right? Answer: Yes.

OK, so this means that as you state, each outside bolt has a total maximum tension stress per bolt of 3238 lbs at full extension and fill capacity, right? Answer: Yes.
                  So, you have a safety factor of 389% based on the stress and shear rating of the PD-58, right? Answer: Yes.

And, the stress and shear ratings of the PD-58 were provided by Wej-It, right? Answer: Sure.

So, you're OK with using the shear and stress ratings of the Wej-It PD-58 from Wej-It - which were measured after installation by Wej-It using THEIR instructions, but you don't agree with their instructions? Answer: Well, I can see that we're just going back and forth.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY
                    My Bend-Pak came with Wej-it anchors. The instructions for the anchors were from Wej-it themselves, and included in the instruction pack from bend-pak.

Were yours just not "biting" into the concrete? What exactly went wrong?

So here's the issue. I have two different failure modes right now. At least 2 of the anchors are "spinning". At least 2 have "risen".

The Wej-It instructions instructions essentially have you drill the hole to 7/8", put the sacrificial 5/8" bolt in, allow about 5/8" of thread between the anchor and the head of the bolt, and tap the anchors in. Then, remove the bolt. Put a 5/8" nut on the bolt. Screw that assembly through a washer (that acts as a bearing for the nut) into the anchor. Then, hold the bolt head and tighten the nut - forcing the anchor to pull up without twisting. I'm paraphrasing.

The Dannmar instructions have you simply turn the sacrifical bolt to set the anchor.

The problem is two fold. First of all, the sacrificial bolt can bottom out in the anchor. Second, the entire assembly can turn because your're turning the BOLT and not applying force straight up.

Furthermore, the Dannmar instructions have you do the final "tighten" with the lift post in place - which can result in the top of the anchor rising and actually tightening against the base of the lift post - rather than anchoring in the concrete. So, from the "bolt" or torque perspective, it appears as though it's tight. But from a stress perspective, it may not be.

The only advantage to the Dannmar process is..... They don't have to supply a 5/8" coarse nut and washer. All of about 30 cents.

Over on Garage Forums, there are plenty of people who have had the PD-58s "spin", resulting in them having to cut out and repour concrete. I wonder just how many of them would have been fine had the "correct" process been used.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                      Part of me says to ask the uncooperative lift manufacturer to take thier lift and shove it - however, they will surely keep some of your money for a restocking fee, shipping, delivery, etc.

And - if this design is the one that will work better for your situation than any other - well, then - you have no alternative but to keep it, and report your findings to the better business buraeu.
                      I agree. At this point Dannmar has offered to pick up the lift and refund 100% including shipping both ways. So, I'm very tempted to do just that.

But, as far as the actual "lift" is concerned, this design is without a doubt the best for my particular situation. That is the only reason I'm even considering keeping this.

If I had room for either a 4 post or a full height 2 post, believe me - I'd be talking to Mohawk or somebody else.

Comment

BTW, it turns out that the lift was designed by Bendpak. The designer called me today. He was far more capable than the guy at Dannmar. We were not able to complete our call, but he's calling back. He agreed that the Wej-It process was "correct" and could not explain the Dannmar process.

Also, just as an FYI - the Wej-It guys were excellent to deal with. They've offered to send me 10 free very expensive epoxy type anchors - even though this is a Dannmar problem. I just need to buy some AWF Quickset Epoxy.

So, here's what I think I'm going to do. I need to make a small standoff to allow me to test the torque of the anchors I "think" are good. According to Wej-It, 5/8" anchors get 95 ft-lbs, and 7/8" anchors get about 200 ft-lbs. This is a 5/8" bolt in a 7/8" assembly, so I need to validate which is correct. Dannmar said 70 ft-lbs - clearly incorrect.

The ones that test "OK" I'll just leave alone. The other ones, I should be able to drive straight down into the substrait (I did drill through the entire concrete). I need to drive them down so that the top depth is 6 1/4". Then inspect the concrete to try and validate that everything is stlil OK. Then, fill each hole to about 50% and sink the inserts until the top is flush.

Thoughts?

Comment

I'd take 'em up on the epoxy system. That stuff is WAY stout and is the approved method to set the anchors where there are issues - at least in New Hanover County, North Carolina. And it worked for me.

Dan

Comment

epoxied bolts didn't work all that well in the big dig

Comment

As far as the Big Dig, the reports seem to point fingers at improper selection of epoxy and failure to follow correct instructions during installation. Which is exactly why I'm ignoring Dannmar at this point and taking advice directly from the anchor manufacturers. It is also why I continue to be unhappy with Dannmar, and frankly have little confidence in them as a company.

Wej-It came through and I received the "new" anchors yesterday. Whew! These things are ridiculously expensive. I looked on Grainger, and the per unit anchor is..... $82.35 EACH!!! http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5HU89?Pid=search . I wasn't expecting them to arrive so quickly. I'm about to get started on the floor, testing each anchor that "seems" set at 90 ft-lb torque. Anything that fails at that torque I'll then need to drive down to at least 6.25" depth. If all that works, next week I'll get the correct AWF Epoxy and finish the lift next weekend. I'll get the exact epoxy that Wej-It is recommending. If I can't torque and drive these anchors as described today, I'm having them pick up the lift and take it back. I'll figure out what I want to do later this summer in that case.

Point of this story is that I'd advise any of you that have lifts, think about your mounting bolts. If you installed anchors provided by the lift manufacturer - and especially if it's a Dannmar lift - you might want to check the anchors. In my case, it's very likely that somebody inexperienced would not have realized that the anchors were not correctly set, and the lift would have been unsafe. Maybe it wouldn't have failed in my lifetime. Maybe it would have failed the 1st time I used it. Who knows?

Comment

Working...
                              X