I need a new Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new Helmet

Seems my Snell 2000 brain bucket is abut to time out and I've decided to get a new Snell 2010. The question is what brand, style etc. etc.

Anybody made this choice lately? Any advice or observations? I will use it for Drag Racing, LSR, Open Road events and time attack events so my intuition is to have it be capable of having an airline attached for head cooling and be set-up for a HANs device whenever I can eventually swing that. Future Drag Racing plans include low 8's and in LSR I hope eventually run 200, obviously different vehicles than I have now, but I like to plan for the future.

Simpson Bandit 2 seems like a good middle of the road pick. My current one was a Summit special made by Biffe which I had never heard of but it had the Snell cert and has lasted pretty well though the light weight foam in the fabric liner has begun to disintegrate now.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Do any of these sanctioning bodies require an SFI spec as opposed to simply a Snell spec?
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

the time out sucks I have a simson bandetII thats been used 4 times(2 super chevy shows) and is just about times out..
      it's like new, sitting in the box in the basement..

Comment

Check out HJC Motorsports' offerings. I was in the same boat as you, my SA2000 lid was done, so through a friend that works at a motorsports store I was able to get a decent price on an HJC Snell SA2010 helmet, full face with the HANS attachment points. Was about $350 CAN tax included, not sure what they are going for south of the border. They are quite good helmets for the money if you do some research on them, and reasonably lightweight as well.

cheers
        Ed N.
        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I'm a big fan of the G-Force stuff, no particular reason, it's just what I bought the first time I needed it (helmet/harness/jacket) and I've been happy with it.....
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I've had both HJC and Simpson stuff, nothing bad to say about either. They even fit my insane head well.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Last time I was at the track they just asked me if I had a helmet, I just replied that I did and no one ever looked at it...........

Though I wouldn't mind getting a nice new Simpson for future track events...........'

And I'll probably need one when I start doing those SCCA events with my buddy Steve.........
              Last edited by TC; June 24, 2011, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Exactly what size bucket you wear Brian????...LOL

Comment

7 5/8 for me

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                    Exactly what size bucket you wear Brian????...LOL
                    I round the circumference to the closest foot.
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

And I thought I was a fat head. Keep 'em coming.
                      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

my old dirt track helmet is a G Force, thought it fit good but for some reason I would get clausterfobic (sp) in it sometimes

on a side note, when a helmet expires and it get recertified ?
                        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                          I round the circumference to the closest foot.
                          Ha!

Comment

No re-certifications that I am aware of. Just use for events where there are less stringent rules or let the passenger wear it.

That said a helmet seems to be a good place to spend a bit more money for safety, fit and comfort especially for longer events.

Does anyone have experience with Impact helmets?

Comment

No help with Impact but my Bell was reasonably priced. Like an idiot I bought an "M" helmet for use in a car. OK at my speeds but the next one will be an SA for sure. The difference is in the fire protection.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X