Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man, are there any parts actually made in the USA anymore???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, are there any parts actually made in the USA anymore???

Just did a rear brake job on the Pontiac and right on the drum is stamped, you guessed it, CHINA. I don't know about y'all, but I'm getting REAL tired of seeing nothing but Chinese replacement parts....
    Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

I just pulled a new windshield out of the box, it says "made in finland". Of course it's from the late 90s and fits an early 60s volvo

Good luck with your rant.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I actually found one part that is made in the U.S.A. that fits my truck. The belt tensioner on my '92 GMC was whining and making a few oddball noises, so I checked a few parts stores online first to find the best price. Believe it or not, Autozone's brand was competitive in price and it is made in the U.S.

Comment

When I had my SVT Focus, everything I got for that thing was made in England.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

the SVT was a rebadged focus RS with a diffrent engine so that makes sense
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

the new drum/rotor business is all china from scrap iron
            the scrappers now give us a dollar a rotor now , used to be throw away

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              I just pulled a new windshield out of the box, it says "made in finland". Of course it's from the late 90s and fits an early 60s volvo

Good luck with your rant.
              I understand that not every part can be made here in the States, Jim. And as for imports, I would expect that the parts would come from the source country (or a country nearby in this case). Case in point: my shitbox Camry. Almost every part that I've gotten for this thing has "made in China" stamped on it. Mind you, most of the stuff I've had to replace has been your usual stuff you'd expect to replace for brake jobs, tune ups, winterizing, stuff like that. I haven't had to replace any big ticket items on this car, but I would expect that the part would come from Japan. Hell, maybe I'm just being naive, I don't know. It seems that either my expectations are behind the times, or we as a nation/world are selling our souls to the Chinese, or both.
              Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

I'll be really pissed if the AFR heads I got sitting here have "made in China" stamped on them.........

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                  the new drum/rotor business is all china from scrap iron
                  the scrappers now give us a dollar a rotor now , used to be throw away
                  My friend Greg works for a Boiler company there in the Jersey area and scraps all the old Boilers, I guess cast iron pays.........I forgot to ask him where he's living now, but he grew up in Old Bridge, used to frequent Race Way Park back in the day.......I guess he had pretty bad ass Maverick, hung out with a guy named Danny Glad............
                  Last edited by TC; October 16, 2011, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I'm doing a tune-up and pre-race check on Mom's old Celebrity. I had to do serious hunting to find a source for Delco tune-up and maintenance bits (filters, etc.). Finally found a mostly wholesale place here in town that deals almost exclusively in Delco. However the dogbone (upper engine mount) they supplied is from parts unknown. Oh, well - 1 out of 10 (or so) ain't bad. Of course, I'm assuming that AC Delco is made here and that may not be true.

Dan

Comment

If there isn't a Made in.... somewhere on the part, or packaging; it's pretty much guaranteed made in China. If all I see is a distribution company name and no Made in..., it's made in China.

To me, this means the Chinese manufacturers know they produce crap and their reputation is in the toilet, so they hide it.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

i am trying to think what the last part i bought was that was made in the US and i can't think of one
                        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                          i am trying to think what the last part i bought was that was made in the US and i can't think of one
                          high priced Moog strut rod bushings that fell apart in less than 5000 miles.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

if comp cams makes there cames here in the us then that was it is was a 212/224 @.050 .520/.536 lift 115 LSA 111 ICL

it was for the 3800 in my white Grand Prix i supercharged back in late 2007

Comment

double post
                              Last edited by Mater; October 17, 2011, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X