Feds open 'formal safety defect' probe into Chevy Volt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feds open 'formal safety defect' probe into Chevy Volt

From CNN....issues with the electric car, naw, taint possible.

Federal safety regulators opened “a formal safety defect investigation” into the Chevy Volt over fire concerns relating to its battery.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Shocking!!!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ChampTrucking; November 28, 2011, 06:31 AM.

Comment

I think the Volt is a weenie-mobile, but CNN sucks ass. That car sat for literally DAYS with the batteries connected after the crash before catching fire. They left those details out. If the GM procedure of disconnecting the batteries had been followed there would not have been a fire.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Remember the huge debacle when NBC rigged up the fuel tanks of the GM trucks years ago? Same horse, just a different color .....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

haha LOL volta total joke ..no worse than a prious

Comment

From the Wall Street Journal -

GM says the Volt has been extensively tested and is safe. The Volt fires occurred at minimum a week after the tests. In a real-world crash, safety procedures call for the battery to be disconnected and the car taken to a repair shop, not to be left sitting, said GM spokesman Greg Martin.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

here's my only issue with those cars (but I figure the Prii owners and such are simply misguided hotrodders since they're buying cars for an attribute other than transportation)... if the battery goes low, the motor comes on.... why is that a problem? ever hear of attached garages? (and yes, the key has to be "in" it). Mark my words - someone will die, not if, rather when then watch the media come unhinged.
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 28, 2011, 07:29 AM.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                From CNN....issues with the electric car, naw, taint possible.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/25/busine...html?hpt=us_c2
                it tis not just the chevy... like the way the media .. headlines the american one..

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                  From the Wall Street Journal -

GM says the Volt has been extensively tested and is safe. The Volt fires occurred at minimum a week after the tests. In a real-world crash, safety procedures call for the battery to be disconnected and the car taken to a repair shop, not to be left sitting, said GM spokesman Greg Martin.
                  FIRST thing the firemen do, after talking to the people in the crash is cut the battery + cable.. both cars that I got hit in the front.. they cut the cable no matter if you told them please not to..
                  anothe cnn weak sauce

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                    I think the Volt is a weenie-mobile, but CNN sucks ass. That car sat for literally DAYS with the batteries connected after the crash before catching fire. They left those details out. If the GM procedure of disconnecting the batteries had been followed there would not have been a fire.
                    Sounds a little like NBC rigging those GM side tank pickups with fireworks to explode on impact for a dramatic news story.

Comment

My whole problem is there is a vehicle-specific procedure to be followed after a crash. Not everybody responding to a crash is going to know how to identify a Volt and or even know what to do to it.
                      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal View Post
                        Sounds a little like NBC rigging those GM side tank pickups with fireworks to explode on impact for a dramatic news story.
                        if side tanks were a problem..truckers would not be trucking.

I remember my dad caved in a manhole at a home depot, loaded rig. Idiots went after him, the truth was a bad manhole cover (could not hold the weight). that one simple event ruptured a tank.

as for anything batteries...as a welder, or even the drama of en extremely lively alloy aluminum engine getting new parts..

the battery gets freak warm for some time finding the original continuities, changing steel or engine parts (like cyl heads, I don't mean little parts)

I would rather an old pickup anyday.

and truthfully, if those batteries morph cells, regulators get confused..in other words, just the batteries existing, taking a charge is a heat on its own as normal..any errors at all on this circus ride called driving and it's all done.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 28, 2011, 09:17 AM.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal View Post
                          pete pesterre uncovered that gem
                          NBC was never the same

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                            My whole problem is there is a vehicle-specific procedure to be followed after a crash. Not everybody responding to a crash is going to know how to identify a Volt and or even know what to do to it.
                            firemen are trained to cut the +batt cable no matter the car.. so.. they don't care if its a volt or not

Comment

Do you remember the good old days, when a significant number of people died before something was declared unsafe?

Do you remember the good old days, when economy cars didn't cost more than most other cars?
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X