Dirtiest cars in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirtiest cars in the US

I am glad I don't have enough money to buy one.
    Nobody wants to be known as the dirtiest, at least not when it comes to air pollution. The good news is that since 1975, overall new passenger car emissions of greenhouse gasses have decreased, and fuel efficiency has increased. The trends seem likely to continue, based partly on technological innovation, partly on more stringent government regulation, and partly on consumer interest and demand.

Nick

I wonder what my Cherokee's carbon footprint is? I think it leaves an actual grimy footprint as it goes down the road. Plus all the dust, dirt and stickers on the outside are not very aerodynamic.
    The built up mud in the wheel wells has an affect on the vehicle weight, then there is the allergy factor of hauling bales of hay in it...Junk mail on the passenger floor, that little red veterans day flower I wound around the antenna I know slows me down...I really think my car would win this dirty car prize!
    Last edited by LORENSWIFE; November 30, 2011, 09:47 AM.
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

No new cars hold a candle to poorly kept older cars, detroit diesel buses, off highway equipment, etc,
      - most of our hotrods run cleaner than a lot of vehicles on the road.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

It's interesting to see that no one cares about CO, HC, or NOx emissions any more
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          It's interesting to see that no one cares about CO, HC, or NOx emissions any more
          No kidding. Worrying about CO2 emissions is lame.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Don't get me started Jim!

The differences in how the EPA in the USA and the equivalent agencies in Europe measure and regulate vehicle emissions drives a great deal of added work into our business that could be eliminated if they'd just agree to one set of standards!
            (It would also mean clean diesels for the USA)
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
              Don't get me started Jim!

The differences in how the EPA in the USA and the equivalent agencies in Europe measure and regulate vehicle emissions drives a great deal of added work into our business that could be eliminated if they'd just agree to one set of standards!
              (It would also mean clean diesels for the USA)
              The difference is, the Europeans actually care about air quality and the environment. Here, the folks that make those decisions are influenced/backed/owned by big oil money.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Well...there is a debate going on over here about the diesels...NOX isnt good in big cities..

Comment

Im wondering how they all get such crappy mileage when my 13 year old 300hp toy does better city than most of them do highway.

I guess the CO HC and NOX dont matter anymore.

Comment

The "old" pollutants aren't a problem any more, because the last 40 years of smog requirements pretty much whipped that problem. Now there's a new boogyman
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      No new cars hold a candle to poorly kept older cars, detroit diesel buses, off highway equipment, etc,
                      - most of our hotrods run cleaner than a lot of vehicles on the road.
                      I agree. I learned something odd, really liking the chevy small block..very common thing to like. All my stuff increased power with coompression and gas mileage.

hot rods are not the target.. there is no way to gather them and stamp it with a label.

funny enough, I have the strangest goal with an 80s carbed boxert (hypermiler..makes a prius an asshole to this day). I want it no higher than mid 30s..crazy stuff happens.

the 17mpg on v8s has not much excuse. I have seen that same number forver.I do not know what mathematician they are worshipping, but that number is nowhere near where it could be. my own stuff went into the 20s with carbs and powerful (alot more than oem).
                      they must be saving guts for the 5 year payment plan..afraid of real clean fires.(that means leaner than a moron might think)
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Ha, the Japanese have 2 on the list. But the list really isn't that surprising once you read how they decided.

Comment

low mileage equals high CO2 pollution. what goes in, must come out
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

they need to add in the foot print of assembly process as well. i bet we would see a lot more hybrids on the list becuase fo the battery
                            Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                            Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                              they need to add in the foot print of assembly process as well. i bet we would see a lot more hybrids on the list becuase fo the battery
                              Beat me to it! The battery production process creates more pollution (not just smog or co2) than most cars will dump out the tailpipe over their entire useable lifespan.

Of course the production of the batteries is largely unregulated due to most of it occuring in third world countries..........
                              Last edited by stangbanger; December 1, 2011, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X