• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Davy Jones

The Monkees
    They help rock the '60's
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

That photo of him in his later years posted on the home page, I couldn't have picked him out in a lineup. Yeah, I watched the show as a kid. Much a part of being a kid in the 60's. The Monkees - everybody back then was not sure they were a real band, or just a cast of characters chosen for a TV show.

I'm still not sure, but legend has it that Jimi Hendrix opened for the Monkees in Charlotte and got booed off of the stage by all the kids who wanted to see the Monkees. Truth or fiction, legend at least.
    Last edited by pdub; February 29, 2012, 06:04 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

David Bowie was supposed to have the role as Davie Jones...He turned it down becasue he thought that no one would take his music seriously

Mike Nesmiths mom invented White Out...

There is all my Monkee trivia.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Mike Nesmiths mom invented White Out...

There is all my Monkee trivia.
        Here's more:
        Nesmith's Mom was from Wichita, KS.
        He was the only member who could actually play an instrument before joining the group.
        Last edited by studemax; February 29, 2012, 07:21 PM.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
          Here's more:
          He was the only member who could actually play an instrument before joining the group.
          Wow, not saying it isn't true, but I find that really hard to believe.
          -dulcich

Comment

That's sad, RIP.
            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
              -dulcich
              It's true, I have a big book of random facts and there was a chapter dedicated to the Monkees, that was one of the items the mentioned.

Bowies real name is david jones, he changed it so he would not be associated with the Monkees...
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Poor guy ,he was pretty young too. I liked watching the Monkee's tv show on reruns and some of their songs were good.He seemed liked a nice guy its too bad may he RIP.

Comment

Can I not be shunned if I admit I've always liked the Monkees better than the Beatles?
                  Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Don Kirshner was one of the key players putting The Monkees together.
                    They were a made for tv rock band.

As their success grew, some of the Monkees wanted more creative
                    control of the music......bad idea.
                    The tried some songs of their own.....sounded like country & western to me.

Mike Nesmith and Kirshner didn't get along at all and when he wanted them
                    to sing 'Sugar Sugar' it all came to an end.

Kirshner then created 'The Archies'........a cartoon group who sang 'Sugar Sugar' and
                    became an instant hit.....as did many of their songs....and started the 'Bubble Gum' phase of music.
                    Kirshner said he had a group that didn't talk back to him.

Many say they started the beginning of music videos.

I will be ripping all of my Monkee's vinyl this weekend with some friends.
                    Last edited by Monk; March 1, 2012, 05:31 AM.
                    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I really like the Monkeeys music, I liked Mickey Dolenz voice. Stepping Stone is my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
                        -dulcich
                        It is true. They were the first "boy band." They were created to take advantage of what the Beatles had done.

I also heard he was a really nice guy, RIP
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I was never a fan. I was old enough to be into some pretty "hard" stuff by the time they came out and I thought they were simply irrelevant. Compared with Ten Wheel Drive and so on they were nothing.

That said I'm not negative about any of the guys in the band. They were essentially actors hired to play those parts and they did rise above that to a significant extent. Good for Mike for refusing to chew the bubble gum (I hadn't heard that story before). Davy Jones was, by all accounts, a decent guy and I'm sorry he went too young. He was 2 years older than I am and that seems TOO YOUNG to me. Peace to his family and friends. Mickey Dolenz was on GMA this morning and seemed genuinely saddened.

Dan

Comment

Life is a terminal disease ( a quote from a song I didn't write). We can't get out of this alive, which should actually be a positive thing. Enjoy every day to the fullest, and that's SO easy to forget.

RE the Monkees, they set off the bubble gum music thing. I think maybe there's a little bit of it in all of us, like it or not. Sucky songs that you can't get off of your mind.

I was working in Michigan for 5 months, and got a huge crush on a lady I was working with. She was so full of .....well, untruths. I had a huge crush on her, I was single, but she forgot to leave her husband while she was flirting with me. Swore she was leaving him any minute. Did she? Of course not. It was all smoke.

I could have been murdered by the husband. I kissed her. A triangle, as I realized and perceived it later. I'm a bad American, messing with another man's wife. But she was just bullshitting.

All that was pre- Sue Unit.

But anyhow, the song I wrote about her was decidely bubble gum. Should have been 60's. Could have been a Monkees song.
                            Last edited by pdub; March 1, 2012, 04:54 PM.
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I watched that show as a kid. Hard to believe how old he was. Hard to believe that I am old enough to go the same way. lol.
                              2006 HRPT LH
                              2007 HRPT LH
                              2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

Working...
                              X