Lowered Dodge LSR (sorta) Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowered Dodge LSR (sorta) Racer

I finally got the camera back so I can post some pics of the lowered Dodge PU. After considerable searching I found that my options were limited to lower a 3/4 tom Dodge 2WD unless I wanted to get into fabrication and engineering.

Only BellTech offered a kit so I went with that. The advertised drop was 3" front and 4" rear. I foolishly forgot to measure the "before" so I don't have any hard data but I have the excuse that I was on opiates for broken ribs at the time and was not at the top of my game - also why I paid to get the job done.

First are shots at the stock ride height followed by the altered ride height, taken at as close as I could to the same angle:

I can't seem to get comments between the pics so I guess I have to tell you here that the next shots are a side view and a shot of the tonneau (BakFlip G2).

These were pretty effective changes even though I didn't get much more top speed due to (I think) the built-in speed limiter. However, fuel economy went from 19.7 to 22.4 on similar trips over the mountains from coastal NC to Ohio (one trip) and Michigan on the next. So wind resistance was considerably reduced. At the next meet I'll have a tuner in place and we'll see what happens with the speed limited disabled.

Dan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DanStokes; June 13, 2012, 07:14 AM.

As as added bonus to improved aero (therefore higher speed and probably better highway fuel economy)

It also makes it way more convenient to get disabled motorcycles into the bed!
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

next up, fabricating a chin spoiler?

looks good, Dan.

As for posting pictures, if you hit enter a couple times then move your curser up a line, you can then post pictures between... I've had the same problem, frustrating, but there is a work-around
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The D/T class is essentially a production class so I don't think a chin spoiler is legal - certainly not in the spirit of the class. After his racing career is over (that'll be in September) I may try it as a FE enhancement.

Dan

Comment

Looks good!
          1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
          1997 Mustang GT
          sigpic

Comment

Wow, that looks a lot better than I'd have expected. Awesome!
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

That does look Good Dan. Prolly add 5MPH to the top end too!!!!!!!
              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I like how the wheel wells now have a purpose.. Housing wheels instead of dead air...
                Looks like it should!

Comment

I am really liking that. never saw the dodge diesel dropped.

assuming aero is the winner is silly on the big diesel. You created a compressed channel through the engine bay.

gauges are useless, the tell all is the fuel.

a flat four is just as weird. they don't care about aero, stabbing steel roof racks skyward nothing. getting air into the engine bay is the win. the btu of diesel is huge, a soaker..but you get what I am saying (some engines are slobs as an excuse)

I always wondered what the diesel would do. I see a gas gmc local, extended cab, dropped right down. I bet the got the same result.

nice truck
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                  X