Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas Jockeys........Who's part of the alumni?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Jockeys........Who's part of the alumni?

Picked up this theme from another thread.

Who's pumped gas or worked at a gas station back in the day.

Spent one Summer at a Gulf station......it was on Highway 61.......main highway to and from St. Louis.
    Lots of boiling radiators and bug filled windshields.

Worked full time after I got out of the service at a Phillips 66 station.
    Sold Firestone tires and ran road service for tractors tires out in the field.

So who's part of the alumni and what's your story?
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Me too...L&L Mobil, worked in the shop, but when busy...even we had to pump gas...

Comment

Three years at the Abington Shell station working as a gas guy, mechanic's helper, and after hours hot rodder in high school! Lots of great stories which will probably translate to every car guy who ever worked at a gas station. A proud part of my gearhead development. It's where I learned how to swing a SBC engine out the door of a van!

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

My Dad ran a few stations for a while and I worked at a brand new one when I was 15. Still orient all my bills in the same direction and in order just like he taught me.

There was another guy who worked there who had a pet wolf (or part wolf). That thing scared the crap out of me.
        1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

At the Gulf station I created my own profit sharing program.

Every Saturday afternoon the owner would go down into the
          basement for a nap.
          I'd pull the '49 Chevy around for a fill up.........yeah I was a little
          shit head back then.
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Hank Beyer's Skyway 66 in St. Petersburg, FL. No shennanigans at Hank's station - he wouldn't have it. As I was an unknown commodity it was just pumping gas. I'd been working at the Buick dealer in MI for a couple of years by then and I tried to convince Hank that I had talents he wasn't using but he wasn't interested.

I only worked there for a couple of months and got a slightly better off at the Aetna Erecting Company in Jacksonville, FL. Yep, that really was the name. No, it wasn't a urologist's office (they fabed and erected steel for buildings).

Dan

Comment

Monk, there may have been some slight differences in our numbers at the Shell station too. John, the owner was OK so long as the number was within 60 gallons per week. Thankfully, my car and my co-worker Brian's (seriously) held 52 gallons combined.
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                Monk, there may have been some slight differences in our numbers at the Shell station too. John, the owner was OK so long as the number was within 60 gallons per week. Thankfully, my car and my co-worker Brian's (seriously) held 52 gallons combined.
                I wasn't that smart to think of that.......he probably knew and
                was letting me slide.
                It normally took about $2 to fill it up.
                Thom

Comment

I was 16, pumped gas, full service at a Power Test station in the Bronx nites and weekends, the owner, a friend ..of my dads, use to let me do a few jobs on sundays when the shop was closed, you know a regular gas station with service bays.. i made some mistakes but learned along the way and led me to a career of fixing cars.. some years later at 25 years old i opened a gas station of my own, along with repair bays and did well, however it only took me 2 years to realize that renting was throwing money away, and purchased a shop without gas pumps ...but im still fixin cars and i am proud gas jockey alumni !!

Comment

I missed out on that experience....but a friend of a friend had a dad who owned one, and I hung out there a little bit. The kid robbed is dad blind.

I got to work at a junkyard instead.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I worked at 3 different Texaco Stations all owned by the same guy, he always told me if there was a hold up to give them the Station keys and let them help theirselves, he said he hated to visit Hospitals and Funeral homes. I was single and worked of an evening plus I had my day job, most of that money went to Berwyn, PA.
                      sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Summer time was the best and worst time to work.

Cleaning them damn bugs off of the windshields......in the Summer they were all over the damn place.
                        We'd even clean off the headlights.

Boiling radiators........can't count the times taking a scalding hot radiator cap off and hosing it down.

On the other hand..........got some good shots while cleaning the windshields off.
                        Thom

Comment

I worked for a United gas station. It was just out of the cruise curcuit of Indy. (Madison ave to.....well, past the K mart. Anyway I was just south of there. Anyway I had to make up any shortages unless I was held up. Well I think the manager waqs ripping me of some how. nFinally I told them I couldn't afford to work for them any more.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I worked at a station in Fairfield Ca. Still did the windows and checked the oil.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

I had a side job working in a gas station when I was stationed at Homestead AFB, Fl. in 1968-1969. Worked 7-2 and then did my AUSAF deal from 3-111pm. Pump gas, service, minor tune up, and general stuff.The owner wanted me to have my tools sent from CA. to FL. to go to work for him when I left the service in 1969. He didn't want to sponsor my race car deal so I went home to CA. and back to my life in Drag Race Heaven!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X