Budgetary shop rates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budgetary shop rates.

So I have a good 1970 Buick455 and assuming a shop doesn't find anything seriously wrong, and that I don't want to buy exotic race parts, anyone care to give me a general idea of what a shop will charge me to clean, magnaflux, balance and install new rings.

Not to mention valve work, which I am sure it will need.

Been a few years since I had it done and the last time was a package deal where the cost of shop work was provided by the mechanic who installed the whole deal in my Monte Carlo while I was on a trip.

I know different areas have diferent rates. Just trying to get a general idea of costs these days.
    Last edited by patrickth; August 23, 2012, 06:06 PM.
    Why dance when you can rock and roll?

$1500 or more. If you're sure it'll need valve work, why are you sure it won't need to be bored and new pistons?
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      $1500 or more. If you're sure it'll need valve work, why are you sure it won't need to be bored and new pistons?

Not sure at all it won't need bore work and pistons. I would always assume an engine needs valve work of some kind, but in this case, its as far as I know still running the original leaded gas valves and 10:25:1 compression. Just trying to see oif this falls under the "insanity clause" or if I should just build up one of the 350's I have and call it soup.

Comment

Any engine is going to cost a lot to get rebuilt by a shop. A buick will probably cost more because parts are more expensive.

If it's still standard size, the odds are good it needs to be bored. There are some that survived without wearing the bores much, but very few. You might be able to get by with just rings, but don't expect it to last too long...maybe tens of thousands of miles vs over 100k if you bore it. But we don't know what your plans are for the engine either.

I'd rather you did the buick, there aren't enough of them around...there are plenty of 350s.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          Any engine is going to cost a lot to get rebuilt by a shop. A buick will probably cost more because parts are more expensive.

If it's still standard size, the odds are good it needs to be bored. There are some that survived without wearing the bores much, but very few. You might be able to get by with just rings, but don't expect it to last too long...maybe tens of thousands of miles vs over 100k if you bore it. But we don't know what your plans are for the engine either.

I'd rather you did the buick, there aren't enough of them around...there are plenty of 350s.
          I have 3 buick engines and one of them will go in my new (to me) 71 skylark.
          On the one hand, could build a gsx 455 clone, or just concentrate on restoring what is in the car now and keep the 455 in reserve in case something pops up in the future.

I don't absolutely need a hot rod, but do need to tinker (its my therapy).

Comment

Squirrel has it pretty good...
            Son did a hone/ring on his 455 Buick.. Went with TA al. heads... Has lots blowby after 20K miles. Needs redone. Ie bore/pistons..

Comment

There is a lot to be said for stock if you are looking for driveability and longetivity. My personal days of building engines is over, but if I make the jump, I want someone that really knows how to do it right and just pay them. I can always find ways to bring in more money if I absolutely have to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickth View Post
                There is a lot to be said for stock if you are looking for driveability and longetivity. My personal days of building engines is over, but if I make the jump, I want someone that really knows how to do it right and just pay them. I can always find ways to bring in more money if I absolutely have to do it.
                Go back to my Caprice's thread near the beginning, page 10, I rebuilt the 454 on the cheap. I broke down every dollar. The heads were about $275 to rebuild. It included new exhaust valves. I supplied the valve springs. You can save money by disassembling/assembling your engine.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Scott; will read it again in the morning.

Comment

they live in the land where there's multitudes of good machine shops. Here, there's just not that many - and they charge plenty for what should be inexpensive work. 1200 parts, 1200 machine work ... you may save on parts, but you'll spend 2500 easy on that stuff... so when you coming for your parts? I can certainly point you in the right direction for shops/machine shops... whatever you do avoid Jim Green's.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      they live in the land where there's multitudes of good machine shops. Here, there's just not that many - and they charge plenty for what should be inexpensive work. 1200 parts, 1200 machine work ... you may save on parts, but you'll spend 2500 easy on that stuff... so when you coming for your parts? I can certainly point you in the right direction for shops/machine shops... whatever you do avoid Jim Green's.
                      I am pretty much stuck til I can do a full audit on the car and see exactly what I have to work with going forward. Seller is on vacation and I can't do too much til he gets back. He said it ran great when parked, but tranny was out of it, then wife wouldn't let him buy a new tran or fix it, so it has sat for 5 years. I really want to try and start it. I don't know, and seller doesn't know if its a 2 barrel or 4 barrel in there now, stock or something else. Got a dual snorkel air on it, but might be a hatchet job.

My wife said she is cool to $3k, after that I have to start selling off my old cameras. The 455 runs fantastic, idles great, no smoke, no leaks, and lots of giddy up go.

Any chance I can come down after the 1st, when I have a better idea of what I need?

Edit... tranny is in it, he said it made a loud noise and he towed it home off I-5, didn't try and see what was wrong.
                      Last edited by patrickth; August 24, 2012, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                        Go back to my Caprice's thread near the beginning, page 10, I rebuilt the 454 on the cheap. I broke down every dollar. The heads were about $275 to rebuild. It included new exhaust valves. I supplied the valve springs. You can save money by disassembling/assembling your engine.
                        Read through your thread to page 75. Made me a doc file on costs. Now I have to see how much TA & Summit wants for Buick stuff.

I also have to try and get some sleep. Freeking charlie horse I been getting lately in my shoulder is driving me crazy.

Thanks

Comment

I've found that it's usually a good idea to get most of the engine parts from the machine shop, they usually don't charge much extra for them and also if the parts are wrong (like you discover it needs a different size bearings) they will get the right ones and not charge you for shipping the old ones back, etc.

Although it's a good idea to get an itemized price estimate before authorizing the work...

3k might do it. If you don't go nuts and get everything done that can be done.
                          Last edited by squirrel; August 24, 2012, 06:50 AM.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

How cheap are you willing to go? The 8:1 Chevy 350's are $1500, and then you have a complete new engine with a warranty. Got chevy brackets and what not?

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Gene - I think the world of you but I agree with Squirrel - the world doesn't need another SBC! Depending on the needed valve work, it might be as cheap to go with the Edelbrock aluminum heads. The engine is already pretty light (considering it IS a big block) and the aluminum heads would just that much better. BBBs have a ton of nickle in the castings so I wouldn't expect too much wear so you might get by with a hone but the shop will make that assessment.

Have fun with this
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X