X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone imported a new car?

what troubles did you have?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Please, somebody figure this out. I want a Maloo.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

These guys could sneak some pretty wicked cars into the US. I'm not sure if they're still in the business though.

I'm also thinking of the motorex scandal. US customs is raiding owners garages around the country reoposessing illegal Nissan Skylines. What's legal to do right now, may not be legal next year, and customs WILL hunt you down and take your car. It's always best to have some offsite parking to buy some time if they show up with a flatbed and a new retroactive regulation.

You might ask at ferrarichat or some other good italian enthusiast forum. Those guys are gluttons for punishment when it comes to importing cars legally.
      Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
        Please, somebody figure this out. I want a Maloo.
        Sorry man, trucks have a 25% import duty even if you figure out how to import them legally.
        Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

After watching the v8 super cars on speed, someone needs to get that ford over here. Is that a falcon or am I way off? Bonus points with a coyote in it.

Side note. There is a older gentlemen that stays at the lake during the summer from Florida. He has a very sharp Holden. Althought it could be a re-badged g8
          Last edited by 1trickpony; September 28, 2012, 08:36 AM.
          Jeff
          Follow My Build

Comment

I read somewhere that the biggest hurdle is emissions.. Meeting our laws and crash data..

Comment

whatever it is..a legal route customs etc, must do.

I have got this subaru with a closeted long life of chemistry..and no one talked. NOTHING written to indicate it. people got sick, it still may have been wreaking havoc right into 2012, 25 years later.

(I learned the ten speed was used by gov't japanese forestors). I even found herbicides in the original fuel. WTF?!

today, more awareness on chemistry. that only came about in the early 90s. Go a real route. I could guess going canada down into the states is still a screw up in one way or another.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

My dad did it in the 80's, with a '83 300E Mercedes, if I remember right you have to bring the car up to U.S. DOT standards, in his case it was headlights, a smog pump, and a reinforcement bar that went into the driver and passenger doors.... I also believe he had to pay an import duty........ Other than that he stuck it on a boat and picked it up in L.A. .......
                Last edited by TC; September 28, 2012, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Find too much info here:

nick

Comment

grey market cars have substantial laws to overcome - the stuff that happened in the 80s was what gave rise to the laws. Part of me wonders if it'd be easier to import that parts and put them on an America car.

My wife wants an audi a4 quattro with tdi diesel and 6 speed manual transmission. There's rumor it may happen with the 2013 Audi A4 allroad, but other than rumor, there's nothing to suggest it'll happen.

That said, you can get them in Germany.... thus the question.

And no, I'm not willing to wait 15 years for the exemption to allow it in our borders.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

And no, I'm not willing to wait 15 years for the exemption to allow it in our borders.
                      It doesn't look like you have to wait that long, they are allowing brand new cars to be imported as long as they meet the regulations for those model years. So you would have to see if the car being a diesel would prevent it from coming in. Usually the DOT regulations are safety and emission orientated.......... I dealt with a lot of Gray Market cars when we had the Benz business........

Comment

Since it is a diesel you're wanting, and Europe has some pretty efficent, powerful (relatively), ones that cannot be sold here due to emissiosns, i'd make sure that the one you want cn be imported here, and not have a different drivetrain subsituted (been known to happen)
                        Local doc went to Camaroon, had a Land Rover there, loved it, he had it shipped here
                        Last edited by Deaf Bob; September 28, 2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          grey market cars have substantial laws to overcome - the stuff that happened in the 80s was what gave rise to the laws. Part of me wonders if it'd be easier to import that parts and put them on an America car.

My wife wants an audi a4 quattro with tdi diesel and 6 speed manual transmission. There's rumor it may happen with the 2013 Audi A4 allroad, but other than rumor, there's nothing to suggest it'll happen.

That said, you can get them in Germany.... thus the question.

Interestingly, my wife would be very happy(as would I) with such an A4 to replace her current A4 quattro 2.0T 6-speed manual.

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                            Interestingly, my wife would be very happy(as would I) with such an A4 to replace her current A4 quattro 2.0T 6-speed manual.
                            My wife was happy when I replaced her A4 Quattro with a 4x4 Suburban........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                              My wife was happy when I replaced her A4 Quattro with a 4x4 Suburban........
                              I suggested a Suburban, she suggested something that is (at least as far as I can see) impossible, and not very nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X