Clear All

• Polaris 500 2 stroke ....

I wanna put it in this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	879409

I parted out a snow machine last year, and decided to keep the engine. I admit to not being very versed in the 2 strokes, so throw some thoughts and ideas at me.

I also kept the 2 speed (w/reverse) gear box out of the sled ....

Talk me out of it, but more importantly .... talk me into it.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Dont mess with golf cart, do a go-kart. Buddy had a 6 seater golf kart with a 750 gsxr motor and trans. Too high and crap steering for speed. Yours may be built better.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Maybe a silly question, but does the engine rotate in the required direction? Otherwise you'll be driving around in reverse all the time. Although I think you can reverse a 2 stroke pretty easily.

Dan

Comment

liquid, air, carbed, injected..
        didn't they have a triple and a double?

can't remember all of them. I loved the 600 triple liquid with 3 carbs..that stayed one of the fastest machines for years, just by nature.
        take off was on end of the track even for a novice.

sounds like fun, make an all year use out of spare engine.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

As long as the rear seat passengers know they'll be doing double duty as wheelie bars, you'll be OK.
          "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

You need to be talked into this?.... all this safe-driving-teaching must be doing something bad to your brain.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

500cc is to SMALL.... Think 572

Comment

I'm with Boxer, if you said a 600 triple I'd say go for it. Some of the efi ones are pretty quick. I'm not sure exactly but depending on what year ect. the 500 probably only has about 35 hp. To compare, a new 500cc 4 stroke efi (488cc) has a little over 100hp. Fear not though, I think 2 strokes work great with nitro and the carbs can easily be modified to use a healthy percentage.
                Originally posted by TC
                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

the two stroke on my golf cart uses a lever for reverse that literally moves the timing plate and changes the polarity on the generator/starter to make the little guy run backwards.

Rotating the engine 180* would be easier i think. The rear end looks like it came out of a Toyota Corolla from the 80's. Mine has a Torq-a-verter setup that might convert well with the belt drive if yours is belt drive. If it's shaft, let's see some pictures. Packaging for the front differential and drive shaft will be interesting.

You need some more track width I think, they are tip-happy at speed already. The 340cc "8" hp on mine had governor issues and would run about 30mph, where it was starting to get damn scary. The wheels are 4x4" pattern IIRC, so you have plenty of options there. Maybe mount some FWD 13" rims backwards?

I wanted to do the same thing using a Sportster motor, but wouldn't pony up for the reverse gear. I was thinking Servi-kart sporty motors had a 3 speed with reverse, might try that. Your plan will probably be easier.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The 500 is a twin, liquid cooled and carbed engine. It's out of an approx 94 touring sled. It has a clutch, pretty similar to what the cart has.

The stock Yamaha is rated @ 9hp, so even if the 500 is only 35hp, that's still a lot more power. I've given some thought to building a "go cart" for it as well .... it's just more accepted to cruise the neighborhood on a golf cart, than a go cart .....

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                      .... it's just more accepted to cruise the neighborhood on a golf cart, than a go cart .....
                      I've been wondering why that is. I mean, you can liscense and plate for street use a freaking golf cart, of all things....

Yet we have to have triple air-bag, computer controlled traction, anti-oops this-n-that for our cars.

And a freaking golf cart is okay?

Sorry. Rant off.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

The tree huggers in colorado only allow "high efficiency" carts to be registered here .... in other words, only electric carts. So if I'm gonna get hassled by them, might as well go all out!

Comment

try NGKRA.COM ? I don't see why it wouldn't work, there's a lot of room under the seat. I don't think the neighborhood watch is gonna buy your smoker being an electric, but what the hell, give it a shot!

It is "High Efficiency" - good luck getting much mower power per weight than a well set up two stroke.
                          Last edited by Beagle; November 27, 2012, 08:08 PM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The tree huggers in colorado only allow "high efficiency" carts to be registered here .... in other words, only electric carts. So if I'm gonna get hassled by them, might as well go all out!

I don't get it they shouldn't have a problem with it because it's a hybrid. It burns oil AND gas
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The 500 is a twin, liquid cooled and carbed engine. It's out of an approx 94 touring sled. It has a clutch, pretty similar to what the cart has.

The stock Yamaha is rated @ 9hp, so even if the 500 is only 35hp, that's still a lot more power. I've given some thought to building a "go cart" for it as well .... it's just more accepted to cruise the neighborhood on a golf cart, than a go cart .....
                              My RM250 makes about 60hp....... and you got two of them.........

Comment

Working...
                              X