X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not worthy

With apologies to Wayne's world, I present this

and the story

In the desolate environment of Antarctica, when mechanics Bob Sawicki and Toby Weisser weren’t at their jobs maintaining a fleet of snowmobiles at the U.S. logistics hub there, they passed the time by building a motorcycle-like snow vehicle out of junked parts and trash. As government employees, they were forbidden to use any new equipment on their side project. Instead, they got the engine and track from a totaled 1981 Ski-Doo Elan and, with the exception of nuts, bolts and fuel hoses, everything else from savvy dumpster diving.

Using pipes salvaged from a recycling bin, Sawicki and Weisser fabricated a frame, with a bent crowbar as the brake and a tent pin as the accelerator. The emergency brake is an old ice ax, and a couple of ice screws welded to the frame serve as foot pegs. It has two chrome tanks that used to be fire extinguishers; now one contains fuel, and the other feeds compressed air to a salvaged air horn. The aged engine performs modestly well, doing 30 to 35 mph on the snow—but that’s pretty good for 99.9 percent post-consumer content.

Source
    In the desolate environment of Antarctica, when mechanics Bob Sawicki and Toby Weisser weren’t at their jobs maintaining a fleet of snowmobiles at the U.S. logistics hub there, they passed the time by building a motorcycle-like snow vehicle out of junked parts and trash. As government employees, they were forbidden to use any new equipment on their side project. Instead, they got the engine and track from a totaled 1981 Ski-Doo Elan and, with the exception of nuts, bolts and fuel hoses, everything else from savvy dumpster diving.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 10, 2013, 06:06 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Great work, but the lack of any type of guard makes me think it's a couple of large gashes on your legs waiting to happen.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I love that last one.

I tried making my own when I was 15 with the help of high school shop class.
      a 440 kawasaki on a 68 sno jet. of course the engine don't fit..but got it to work. very small frame.
      like the machine in original post, top speed was geared at 30 something, just like original sno jet. I twisted the frame when I let it rip the first time..backed it way off. top speed slo.

wide ski extenders. those sleds are funny in that they looked like little locomotive cowlings. one round headlight peaked up in the middle...mini locomotive front end.

some photos in the link..even the paint faded looks the same. Very small machine.

two carbs in my chest to drive it.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 10, 2013, 11:13 AM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
        Great work, but the lack of any type of guard makes me think it's a couple of large gashes on your legs waiting to happen.
        it's not like they're in some remote place where they couldn't be run to the local hospital to get a stitch or two

that's what makes it so cool

Comment

It looks more wicked (even though I don't think it actually is ) that that meat tenderize you posted up awhile back. It really racks in on the style points.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Bad. ASS!! great find, I love stuff like this. Considering they did this DIY-style with junk parts, the outcome looks incredibly awesome!
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
              Bad. ASS!! great find, I love stuff like this. Considering they did this DIY-style with junk parts, the outcome looks incredibly awesome!
              I've gotta love the gun sight on the handlebars.

At my age, I'd sit on it for a photograph but I sure as hell wouldn't crank it. Would it not hammer you in the back of the head with snow wads even before it ate your legs off?
              Last edited by pdub; January 10, 2013, 03:18 PM.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                Guards are there for OSHA...How in the H E double hockey sticks do you guard insanity like this!!
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                  It looks more wicked (even though I don't think it actually is ) that that meat tenderize you posted up awhile back. It really racks in on the style points.
                  I've now tried that meat tenderizer that I posted before.... it's on the Christmas wish list for my 500

Comment

Working...
                  X