68 Impala purchase question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68 Impala purchase question

I was hoping Groucho's 70 Monte thread would help me but nooooo! Price seems to be a big secret so here's my question.
    I have been dealing with a local lot on a 68 Impala sport coupe and want opinions on value.
    I talked with the previous owner so I think he told me the truth as he doesn't have an interest in the sale.
    Engine is a crate 350 with vortec heads that is rated at 330 HP and has less than 10,000 miles. Has a Chevy aluminum dual plane with a manual choke Eddy.
    Trans is original PG with shift kit and has original rear end.
    Body had rust around rear wheel wells and bottom of 1 front fender was rusted from accumilation of leaves in it. The rust was patched in fender and bottom of quarters were replaced and stripped to bare metal and repainted with base coat clear coat in 99. Now there are a couple places at rear of hood with rust showing, don't know why previous owner thinks it's something to do with braces on underside of hood. Also a small spot on 1 rocker and some rust bleed through on 1 rear wheel well.
    Interior was replaced and is in good shape except for drivers arm rest is broken off.
    It has 14" Cragar SS's and the goofy guy put bias ply tires he bought from Coker which are in good shape but why bias?
    Body color is white and interior is tourquoise.
    Because of the dry climate here all the weatherstripping needs replaced. Glass is servicable but W/S is showing signs of delamination around edges.
    The lot wants $8500 and I have them down to $7000. They have had it at least 7 months and I suspect because these type cars just aren't popular here. Are they popular anywhere?
    Long story short what is your opinion on if this is a good deal. I would probably use it for a DD about half the time.

an odd thing I do..
    looking at glass, delamination might be a rumbling body.

I have a glass at 26, even self healed to body repairs/maintenance..took more than a decade to learn that. worth mentioning.

all else sound normal. the 68 and 330hp must be nice.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Scott Liggett is prolly the best man to ask about impalas on here IMO
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I am hoping he will chime in.

Comment

Pics would help! My 66 Impala I gave $3500 for as a roller. It was a pretty good deal for the condition, bought it in 2007 or 2008. People ask too much for some of these older cars (thanks to Barret Jackson).

Nick Smithberg
          www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

You should ask the PO how much he sold it for. I'd take a stab and say about 4.5-5K. The dealer is talking I suppose if you backed off for a while, you'd get a call from the dealer with a lower price. Definately a cool car. I'd put 16-17" wheels and a Turbo 350 in it. Good luck.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Sorry I don't have any pics but body is clean and straight except for rust spots I indicated.
              The PO traded it on a Wrangler so no telling how much he really recieved for it.
              I'm on board on the larger wheels as it has drums and even decent sized stock discs need at least 15's.
              I think I've pushed the dealer to the limit as he has recently listed it online and had some interest and it's not like its going down in value to him and with warmer weather around the corner interest from around the country will probably pick up.

Comment

When I bought my 66 Mustang I knew I over paid but it didn't bother me. I live in the rust belt and this Mustang was from Los Angeles and rust free. I knew I could buy a cheaper Mustang but it would be more then offset by doing body work. Hey if you like it, go for it and enjoy it.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I'd be a player in the $5K - $6K range on a decent running / driving 68 Impala. Cash talks.
                  Nick Smithberg
                  www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

'68's are one of the least valuable of the '60's unless it's SS, or SS427. Fastbacks as opposed to the notched, concave rear window are more valuable. That rust at the bottom of the fender may mean there is rust at the bottom of cowl too. More money to fix.

I wouldn't give $3000 for a rusted '68. But, here, they are a ton of 60's Impalas about.

For $7000, I could find you a very nice one here and include the shipping to you.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

All the rusted areas have been repaired before the paint job. There just aren't any cars like this for sale here so I should take you up on your offer. I will give it some more thought.
                      Do you find these cars you speak of on craigslist so I can peruse them?

Comment

Originally posted by OldMachinist View Post
                        All the rusted areas have been repaired before the paint job. There just aren't any cars like this for sale here so I should take you up on your offer. I will give it some more thought.
                        Do you find these cars you speak of on craigslist so I can peruse them?
                        Look over craigslist in the LA areas.

Cars do rust in Cali. Both of mine had/has rust. Be careful.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Scott. I just looked at LA craigslist and saw nothing comparable. This car needs about $300 in repair paint work to have a nice paint job. I will keep my eye on cl in your area. I have known the owners uncle for 25 years on a casual basis and talked to him and the PO. He spent $5000 on the paint work in 99 and the car has no dents or dings since then. Please keep the comments coming. Time for bed.
                          Last edited by OldMachinist; January 23, 2013, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Worth = amount a buyer is ready, able, and willing to pay. If you like the car, have the money, and are not worried about getting your money back out of it go get it.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                            X