NASCAR history question - Spidey I think you are my dude here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR history question - Spidey I think you are my dude here

When did NASCAR mandate a single 4bbl carb? Was it before or after 1969?

I am working on a story and cannot seem to dig this information up.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
    When did NASCAR mandate a single 4bbl carb? Was it before or after 1969?

I am working on a story and cannot seem to dig this information up.
    I vote AFTER ...Didn't the Superbirds/Daytonas have dual 4's on Hemi's and 6 packs on 440's?
    The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

I think it was '64 when Mopar finished 1,2,3,4 at NASCAR and they changed rules then....not sure if
      it involved single quads.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Chassisman View Post
        I vote AFTER ...Didn't the Superbirds/Daytonas have dual 4's on Hemi's and 6 packs on 440's?
        Seen pics of the engines in those cars, single Dominator on the Hemi.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Well before '69, but I don't know exactly when. Pretty sure the Pontiac Super Duty, Max Wedge, FE, and Z11 all had single 4bbl intakes specifically for Nascar.

Comment

Kind of what I thought. It seemed like stuff in the late 50s had 2x4 setups for NASCAR but after that the info dries up.

Comment

From what I just read,before 1961,1960 maybe. Pontiac ran tri powers on the street but came out with the SD 421 for 1961 because they had to run a single 4 in NASCAR. I didn't right click so no link,Ill see if I can refind it.

Comment

Kind of what I thought. It seemed like stuff in the late 50s had 2x4 setups for NASCAR but after that the info dries up.
                See...thats why DRAG RACERS shouldn't answer NASCAR posts..WTH was I thinking......LOL
                The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Brian, In 1952 my dad along with a friend, by the name of Grayson Rose, set the record on Daytona Beach in a 1938 Ford coupe. Powered by a 260 C.I. Flat head Ford with 2 - 2 barrel #59 Strombergs carbs. Motor was rated at 200 HP. Set the record for the flying mile at 114.65 mph. Driver was Anthony Bruno. I also have some pic of the car if interested.
                  Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                  The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Holy cow....YES!!!

Comment

1961 sounds right, maybe 62, definetly 1963 as the galaxies had to run the single 4bbl 410 HP 427 motor... The only exception was in 1967 I believe when the fairlanes could run duals to keep with the Hemis.

Comment

that must be truth, the hats for the early 4 barrels are non-existent, until digging up the 50s.
                        the old 4 and something inch measurement.

the big 5 1/8th four barrel was for that purpose of being alone.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 3, 2013, 08:21 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

57 chevy only used fuel injection at daytona ...2x4 the rest of the year

Comment

Is is tough to figure out.

Here http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...on-almost-pt-3 we have the statement "Beginning with the 1958 season NASCAR and USAC banned supercharging, multi-carburetion and fuel injection after the factory engine war of 1957."

But here at Hot Rod's own site: http://www.hotrod.com/web/113_0508_wing/viewall.html , is the statement referring to the post-'65 Chrysler Hemi "With a few minor exceptions, the sanctioning bodies limited the Hemi to one four barrel carburetor even though the production car had two. ...There was a period of about six months when NASCAR let us run the two four barrels, but they were trying to keep the table as level as possible and thought one four barrel was enough for the Hemi."

From that, it sounds like after a certain point, they had a general rule but made exceptions? The intrigue continues, I guess.

Comment

Always wanted to know when they went to aluminum heads, when valve angles went away from production, race blocks started to be used, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X