No announcement yet.

NASCAR history question - Spidey I think you are my dude here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stopped caring about the time "stock car" became an oxymoron, the old stuff is cool. It's a damned shame all the sanctioning bodies have turned nearly every form of racing into an advertising money game.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      I stopped caring about the time "stock car" became an oxymoron, the old stuff is cool. It's a damned shame all the sanctioning bodies have turned nearly every form of racing into an advertising money game.
      Welcome to Capitalism, where greedy ruin everything......

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Anderson View Post
        Always wanted to know when they went to aluminum heads, when valve angles went away from production, race blocks started to be used, etc.
        This information is from my memory working in the race engine field doing SCCA, IMSA, and Nascar engines during that time period.
        The factory "bow tie" blocks became available ~1980. The alloy heads were in wide spread use ~1983. It was 1984 that Pontiac had Brodex make them a head with a casting number to be legal and ~1985 that some engine buildes started to "lean" the bank angles from the production 23 degrees to about 21 degrees. Next came the 18 degree heads in 1987 and the race was on.....

And Brian, dual carbs were long gone by 1969, as mentioned.
        Last edited by Dynoroom; April 4, 2013, 10:44 AM.
        There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Dynoroom View Post
          This information is from my memory working in the race engine field doing SCCA, IMSA, and Nascar engines during that time period.
          The factory "bow tie" blocks became available ~1980. The alloy heads were in wide spread use ~1983. It was 1984 that Pontiac had Brodex make them a head with a casting number to be legal and ~1985 that some engine buildes started to "lean" the bank angles from the production 23 degrees to about 21 degrees. Next came the 18 degree heads in 1987 and the race was on.....

And Brian, dual carbs were long gone by 1969, as mentioned.
          You are the man!

Comment

aluminum heads were 1982...phase 2 bowtie heads replaced the iron turbo head
            Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; April 4, 2013, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
              aluminum heads were 1982...phase 2 bowtie heads replaced the iron turbo head
              Thanks Spidy..... This symbol ~ means around, as in around 1983. Oh and I also said "wide spread use". But thanks for the input. ;)
              There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                I would suggest that it was racers that turned it into an advertising money game. It was racers that pushed the technology. "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday."

I hope you had the chance to read the Yunick autobiographies that I bequethed to the book club.
                I'm still learning

Comment

pontiac heads were the daytona charger of the eighties
                  brodix with a pontiac part number

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                    Welcome to Capitalism, where greedy ruin everything......
                    If I am not mistaken, the supply is created by the demand.
                    Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Working...
                    X