How I Spent Our Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I Spent Our Anniversary

David (Rack4U on here) invited me over to the Charlotte area this weekend to get going on the paint on the former Burke Bros. Avanti. It was also ME and my 22nd. anniversary. She came along and mostly went "shopping" (not much buying involved) while David, his BIL Skip (who is the REAL bodyman) and others tackled the repaint. Following are the pics of where the project was when I left at mid-day today (Sunday).

First shot is a reminder of just how ugly the paint was as David received the car. This paint has no historical significance as the Burkes and Mike Cook never raced it in this livery. The good news is that it was stripped prior to this paint job so there wasn't a ton of paint on the car as we started.

Second shot - see above. Also notice that the PO made the rookie racecar mistake of TOO MUCH lettering!

Third is most of the crew - that's David in the black shirt, Mr. Brown, who is a Studebaker guy and who donated lots of parts (including some engines) to the project, and Skip (the BIL). I had the good sense to be behind the camera. Others came and went thruout the weekend.

Fourth is a rare pic of David actually working.

Last shot is the car in primer. We spent the morning blocking the high-build and David phoned to say that some color was going on it this evening. It'll be a multi-color job with clear so it'll take a bit of spraying and taping.

Hoping David posts some more and better pics as the job progresses.

We had a great weekend! I hate to admit it but these are a great bunch of guys!

Dan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DanStokes; April 7, 2013, 06:39 PM.

Happy anniversary Dan.....sounds like a good trip.
    What color going on the Stude?
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

The truth is I don't know. We bought silver and green when we went to the paint store today (a friend of Skip's owns both the shop we were in and and a paint store down the street so we had "access") but when I talked to David this PM I asked what color they were spraying and he said "red"......... I don't know about no stinkin' red.

Dan

Comment

I like RED. Only color better than red on a car is black. Now on a race car that may get handled rough ,probably some thing light that doesn't reflect light too well.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

start with the green and start mixing in the silver, im sure that would make a bitchin color
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I hope the silver is a part of the scheme. It was almost aluminum color as it was basically pure silver toner with just the chemicals to turn it into paint. The green was a bright new Challenger color. The red - no clue!

Dan

Comment

I actually like the purple on the front.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

The combo of the yellow and purple and too much lettering was stomach-turning! This will be more better. Hoping David posts pics.

Dan

Comment

Wedding Anniversary?!? Maybe you should paint it black and blue...
                  That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                    Wedding Anniversary?!? Maybe you should paint it black and blue...
                    Yeah, but.....

It was inevitable. And I knew you would post it Gail. It had to happen. I just knew it, I could feel it coming.
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Happy Anniversary Dan!!!

The car looks cool, lots of work!!!!......

Comment

Sounds like a fun day.....for you. Hopefully, Mary Ellen had a great day too.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I think she did. I'm NOT a shopper (I call it "looking") so she went off to a couple of big malls in Charlotte and shopped her feet off. I didn't stay too late on Saturday so we had time for a nice dinner and additional time together - I even hosed the dust off first!

And Gail - it was cool, really. Before I accepted the invite I made sure she didn't mind and at first she thought she'd stay home. When she decided to come along I made puppy-sitting arrangements so we had a weekend pretty much all to ourselves. Nice time for both of us.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            I think she did. I'm NOT a shopper (I call it "looking") so she went off to a couple of big malls in Charlotte and shopped her feet off. I didn't stay too late on Saturday so we had time for a nice dinner and additional time together - I even hosed the dust off first!

And Gail - it was cool, really. Before I accepted the invite I made sure she didn't mind and at first she thought she'd stay home. When she decided to come along I made puppy-sitting arrangements so we had a weekend pretty much all to ourselves. Nice time for both of us.

Dan
                            I never really doubted you Dan!
                            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Dan's a pro at this stuff - gives us "young" guys hope that we can manage the car hobby - and stay married - into retirement... since not EVERY woman is as cool as Gail, and Haley.... ;-)
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X