what scan tool to get? to work on a 2008 truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what scan tool to get? to work on a 2008 truck

wife's 2008 silverado is acting up, running rough occasionally, sometimes flashes the engine light. 4.3, 80k miles.

I think there might be something wrong with the engine, but kind of lost where to start looking. I think it has a returnless fuel system? anyways, I would like to get a scan tool to see what's going on, and it would be nice if the tool could also help with brakes/trans/body....but then I don't want to spend lots of money.

what's affordable (under $300 would be nice) and useful? might also need it for her 99 prowler, and possibly son's 99 silverado, probably don't need OBDI capability.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Post '96 OBD II all uses the same one. You can buy them now at any parts store for $250 that will read and reset the check engine light. Will pay for itself by it's third use.
    Last edited by Scott Liggett; October 14, 2013, 07:54 PM.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

tech 2 is down to 1200.00

Comment

I could probably send the truck to the dealer for less than 1200. Maybe.

I'm a cheapskate, and I'm not gonna be fixing other peoples' cars with it.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

I got a fancy Actron unit for Christmas last year. I've used it to just read the data on the Silverado and then have used it on a couple other people's cars.

I think it's this one. I'd have to go grab it to get the part number but this looks right. With some accessory cables that didn't come with it, it could read ODBI.

Free Shipping - Actron Elite Autoscanner Scan Tools with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Scan Tools and Code Readers at Summit Racing.

There are simple code readers for like $100. Autozone might still be doing free code reads even. If you are looking for a quick check I'd be willing to flat rate USPS it to you if you want to cover shipping both ways.
          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; October 14, 2013, 08:35 PM.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I want more than a code reader.

I ordered one from amazon, we'll see how it works. I guess no one here does this, except the pros, and they have real (expensive) scan tools.

Oh well. Thanks for the offer!

I gotta get the truck fixed this week, I leave for Albuquerque saturday, they're filming the underwater scenes for the movie, I need to be there to keep the robots working.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

It reads sensor inputs and such too....
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                I want more than a code reader.

I ordered one from amazon, we'll see how it works. I guess no one here does this, except the pros, and they have real (expensive) scan tools.

Oh well. Thanks for the offer!

I gotta get the truck fixed this week, I leave for Albuquerque saturday, they're filming the underwater scenes for the movie, I need to be there to keep the robots working.

Youll use it more then you think- Mine sat for a year before I started using it, but since then its used nearly as much as my hammer (his name is wilbert.) Reads codes, resets them, reads the monitors and more.
                Local person
                sigpic

Comment

I take mine to Advance for easy stuff. If I suspect more I take them to my buddy Dave's shop. He has the big $$ Snap-on rig and it can pretty much do everything. I forget what he charges but it's relatively cheap. He keeps up with all the software upgrades, etc. For me, this is one of those things worth farming out.

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; October 15, 2013, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I have one that's good only for Fords.... I have friends with good ones that let me use them free - or for donuts or beer... sorry - no help here.

Please let us know how the amazon unit works out.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

my buddy Jimmy does ok with a harbor freight code reader for 100 bucks

Comment

back when I was a wealthy single guy and had tons of sidework , I had my own tech 1 , when tech 2 came out , I worked at way cool Willow Motors GMC and could use their tech 2 at home like it was my own ...but when I got wifey , no more side work and I just used the shop scanners at the shop

Comment

I got mine from Advance for $150, they had a $300 one that did even more but I'm a cheapskate and the $150 one does way more than I'll probably use it for. They also have a simple code reader/eraser for even less ($50-100 range iirc). I still haven't figured out most of the features of mine. In this day and age, anyone who works on an OBDII vehicle has no reason not to get even a cheap one. Hell, saving the trip to Advance or Autozone to read it would have paid for itself in gas if I got the simple one.

Comment

Bully Dog Triple Dog- Then you have a chip and a scan tool all in one.

Comment

Squirrel is Gas Powered

Comment

Working...
                              X