New positon, new start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New positon, new start.

Well, I have been running a C130 inspection dock for 3 years. It has been a good run and I have a great record but I have achieved all that I can or will in this position. Being an "older" guy by USAF standards and not as "promotable" as some of the younger guys it is dfficult to get a shot at anything else in this squadron.

A positon opened up in the Maintenace Group (A Maintenance Group encompasses all the Maintenance Squadrons on a base). I interviewed and got it. So now I will be running the program section. It is not a step up, not a step down but it is a change and I needed one in a bad way. This position will also help if I decied to make a run for E-7 unlike the position I have now.

So, instead of bailing out next August, I may just stick around for a couple more years and see what plays out. I know 2 things now. First I will be going back to school and taking some classes and Second, I need to pad my resume...I dont want to be working for the Quick-y-mart when I retire.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Congrats!

How many years do you have to stay in to get lifetime healthcare at retirement?

If you don't have to buy your own health insurance after you retire and go elsewhere for work - that will make a huge difference in take home pay.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      Congrats!

If you don't have to buy your own health insurance after you retire and go elsewhere for work - that will make a huge difference in take home pay.
      good luck joe

Comment

Good luck, Buddy! Sometimes these laterals are an excellent choice,

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
          Congrats!

I have been in 19 years 7 months. You can retire at 20 with liftime health coverage and 50% of you base pay as a retirement. If you qualify for more than 50% disability from the VA you will get paid for that as well. At my current rank I can stay until 24 years of active service. I will probably stick around until then. Its a job and a paycheck, thats hard to come by now.
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Congrats!
            Sometimes it works out! Glad to see it is..

Comment

congrats joe. I thought you were headed for E-9 already. Moving around can gain the rank, open slots. I have a younger sister into E-8 and civilian pay. Going to be a young retiree I assume. Military is like that.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

congrats, Joe
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Cool News! I hope you enjoy the new gig.
                  Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                  79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Great job, Joe.

Man, health insurance for life is a "benny" that is invaluable.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Casper
                      Your basic training unit wasn't Alcatraz was it? That was my oldest sons & with a last name like Conn it was safe to say he's doing life.

One of those pre-determined things most people don't even think about.

He's a Tech Sargent at present.

its funny, those names still exsist. They called my Basic Traning Sq Disney Land...I had to think about what you were talking about for a moment as I had forget all about that....I had a blast at basic...enjoyed every damn minute of it...

Comment

Joe, I have realized that in order to grow in the work field; moving up the work ladder if you will; you sometimes change ladders.

I am happy for you and hope this new direction is a good one for you.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Joe, sounds like a good deal man!

Lol, best thing you can do to avoid working at the Quickie-mart is keep in touch with all those dudes who retired and stayed local... They know good peeps when they see 'em.

And YOU are good peeps, brutha.
                          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Nice. I definitely understand the want for a change. Maybe you'll run into me as a first term airman at some point (assuming APFC decides to call me before someone runs me over with a forklift in the foundry).

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                              Joe, sounds like a good deal man!

Lol, best thing you can do to avoid working at the Quickie-mart is keep in touch with all those dudes who retired and stayed local... They know good peeps when they see 'em.

And YOU are good peeps, brutha.
                              Thanks! I have a pretty vast network of folks in various positons all over town and/country...Hopefully Someone will be able to hook a brother up. I am leaning heavily to moving out of state...Some jobs in San Antonio that I could fill...who knows...we will see what tomorrow brings....

Comment

Working...
                              X