Air Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Fuel Gauge

Trying to find out if anyone is using a air fuel ratio meter/gauge on their drag car with a carburetor. If so, which one are you using, and what are its pros and cons. Any problems with using racing fuel? Interested to hear.

innovate LC-1 http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php connected to an LED panel mount digital volt meter. Works good, they say the sensor won't last too long with leaded fuel, but I just run pump gas so it's not a problem for me.

you need to do some programming with a laptop to set it up, it's not difficult, but read up before you buy.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The LC-2's are out and appear to be the same price with a cleaner install and simpler calibration and programming.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

you should buy one for the T bird and let us know how it works
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I already have an LC-1 installed in the T-bird
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

As Squirrel noted, lead in fuel will foul the sensor by essentially coating the element. As long as you're running unleaded you'll be fine. You want a wide band unit - much more range for tuning.

Dan

Comment

Inovate got off of ebay and working well. $160.00
              Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Originally posted by greenXpress View Post
                Inovate got off of ebay and working well. $160.00
                same here, great stuff for a carb. The v8 is rather easy, so the fast chip (the new one) is not all necessary. Can use either one. Little engines need the fast one.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

AEM all the way
                  Drag Week 2006 11.00 index DNF
                  Drag Week 2011 DD
                  Drag week 2012 Hot Rod Winner
                  Drag week 2013 Hot Rod Winner

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    As Squirrel noted, lead in fuel will foul the sensor by essentially coating the element. As long as you're running unleaded you'll be fine. You want a wide band unit - much more range for tuning.

Dan

I have a number of customers running leaded race fuel with hundreds of run hours on a single sensor. The trick is to not put wet leaded fuel on the sensor, I.e. get the tune roughed in before you install the sensor helps a lot.

Jim Neuenfeldt ran the same NTK sensor with an FJO kit running strictly C16 fuel in his twin turbo truck the entire time he owned the truck. It lasted three Drag Weeks so, I'd say his wideband is perfectly safe with leaded fuel.
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Interesting! The sensor manufacturers warned us against running them in a leaded fuel environment (we were doing some industrial engine work and were considering running leaded as some end users do). The sensor manufacturers waved us off of the concept. Your practical, hands-on knowledge trumps the theoretical stuff we were told! Thanks for the insight.

Dan

Comment

Any insight on the PLX or NGK gauges? I have no experience with them but since
                        we are discussing, the PLX seems to be popular with the turbo Buick crowd based
                        on threads I have read on that site.

Comment

I'd suggest whichever brand has a 5v/Analog output and uses the cheaper Bosch LSU4.x sensors. The analog output so you can attach external ECUs or dataloggers, and the cheaper sensor if you're going through the EFI learning curve and might foul one out.

The PLX I have used (an old one) worked great and had the Analog output and I think it used the Bosch LSU sensors. The 8 NGK AFX units I have now, also have the analog output but use the more expensive NTK sensors. I am happy with both (when my EMC buddies aren't shorting them out, ha)
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Guys thanks for the information. Looking at the PLX M-300. Seems simple and expandable. Since everyone is in Vegas (lucky bastards) I'm going to wait to have a few days to have a few tech questions answered by their help desk. I let you know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                            X