Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stink Bugs

It may be a Southern Thing, or not.

The internet news sites are saying there's an untypical Stink Bug Invasion going on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stink Bug.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	880898

They're in the house. They come in under the door jambs, window gaps, pipe holes anyhow to get in. They're not about making a nest, according to all accounts, they just want to stay warm.

And yeah, they stink if you piss them off or scare them. Some sort of a chemical discharge. Stink. Best way to DX them is to wrap them up in toilet paper and flush them down the commode.

They'd rather walk and just hang around, but they can and DO fly, they sound like little helicopters coming to land near you.

Not said to be harmful in the household, except for the stink (which they save up for an encounter).

We've got 'em here, Unit's cousin in Pittsburgh says they fly and land in her oatmeal at the kitchen table in the morning.......EDIT: This has everything to do with cars. I can make that connection......Give me a while, I can make the connection.
    Last edited by pdub; January 17, 2014, 06:01 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Name for 9-second VWs.......
    Last edited by oletrux4evr; January 17, 2014, 07:02 PM.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

We get the stinkers here too.. the wheeled ones and insects.. Do not mash them with your fist.. You might think you picked a turd or a dead animal up..

Comment

Ive found them in the house recently ,you would think the little shits would die in the winter,nope.

Comment

We haven't seen any but we have a regular exterminator - just a part of living here. We occasionally see a bug stagger around the house but they already have an X over each eye. I flush a few carcasses a week.

Dan

Comment

Never seen one to my knowledge. I'm ok with that. Cars with a so called stink bug stance, yeah owned a few of those 30 years ago.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
              Name for 9-second VWs.......
              anything you want.
              "gasser" was all of 2 seconds of a hundred year history.

Some minds are stuck as a Mainer.

stink bugs only need a whiff of the warmer atlantic.

I remember them in rhode island and connecticut...
              not much in massachussetts, but they got bugs like the tides of the ocean. might have them, might not.

that same state I found the poionous verion of water moccasin. that is southern. North cannot feed venom chemstry.

never seen one in maine, where I am. I could guess the south coast rarely gets them.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Hey,

Stink bugs?

You should try living over here......where 90% of everything you see in the scrub wants to kill you. Just to add more fun to a country which Mother Nature populated with animals during her 'off' week, we brought in poisonous toads, camels, buffalo, bees, wild dogs, foxes, aggressive wild pigs, and all sorts of other 'entertaining' stuff.

Then, there's the natives. Dingos (our breed of wild dog), big kangaroos that'll kick you and try to disembowel you at the same time, dangerous snakes like the King Brown, Red Bellied Black Snake, Tiapan, and the joyfully named 'Death Adder'. All of those snakes have survival time measured in minutes after a bite. There's Tasmanian Devils (look like a pointy nosed small dog with a monster attitude, although hasn't got a very good reply to a 12 gauge shotgun yet), cone shells that shoot a barb into your skin when you pick them up (death is measured in seconds)...the list goes on. Did I mention the Crocks yet?

Then, there's these dangerous little mongrels.....

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by FRY383 View Post
                  Then, there's these dangerous little mongrels.....

Mike
                  Mike, we don't need those for sure because we already have jackalopes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jackalope.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	875764

They're super-quick and have gored sunbathers with their antlers in Texas on numerous occasions. They can also administer a nasty bite that invariably causes serious infection from all the diseases they carry, sometimes fatal if not treated within hours.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Hey,

They look like fun!

I'll swap you a mating pair of Cane Toads for one. They're kinda cute.....in a poisonous, hallucinogenic kind of way.

Here's the happy couple.....

....and this is (seriously) how big they get.

Oh, by the way, they have two glands behind their head either side that have a very powerful neurotoxin. The LD50 (Lethal Dose required to kill 50% of the subjects) is 1gm to 1KG. So, a decent toad with 10 to 12 grams of poison if eaten will kill a medium dog, or at least make it REALLY stoned! They're an invasive species brought in from India to control a beetle in sugar cane fields over 100 years ago, but they've now managed to reach the Northern Territory (thousands of miles away), where hundreds of native snakes and crocks are being wiped out by chewing on them!

Interesting side note. A skin disinfectant sold here called 'Dettol' (Google it) kills them instantly if even a small drop touches them. Somehow, the chemical compound in Dettol 'switches off' the toads immunity to its' own poison!

Anyhow, meet Daz.....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Mike
                    Last edited by FRY383; January 23, 2014, 04:00 AM. Reason: Added link.

Comment

Those introduced species never work out well. We have kudzu.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X