Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 sububan, whats it worth?

78 suburban, 454 big block th400, low original miles, motor never rebuilt

do you guys think this is worth $5k usd? the body is in great shape. i just don't want to overpay. the exhaust system probably needs to be replaced. i still haven't driven it yet, any tips what to look for?

see link above.

If it really has under 30k miles, it might be worth it...need to see the inside, etc to better judge.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

to be i dont care about originality i just want a cool reliable daily driver. :D

Comment

Then it might be worth it to you. But seeing the inside could help figure out if it's 30k or 130k miles
        My fabulous web page

Comment

I've seen nice examples of these trucks from 2500 to 10K. 5K for something that appears to be very clean isnt too bad I guess...I wouldnt pay it because the colors are awful (JMHO). Its looks like a base Scottsdale truck too, rubber mats, vinyl seats...if it were a Silverado with better colors...I'd be more inclined to say hell yeah, snatch it up.
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

i did see the inside, it looks pretty mint, which makes the low miles idea believable, but as you know, you really do never know. the guy told me the speedometer stopped working at some point, as it says 21k miles but it is really 30k original miles.

what do you guys think about a 454/th400 combo as a daily driver, it has obviously never been rebuilt. is it risky?
            would i have trouble unloading/selling it in 1-2yrs??

would $3500-$4500 be more in line ??
            Last edited by pavell; February 25, 2014, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I think the current rate is $250/ton!

j/k
              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Those tend to be hoggish on fuel..
                Drove a 73 crew cab and got 8-12 mpg..

Comment

It should work ok, it will get lousy mileage, I'd figure around 11 if I were driving it. You could get worse, or possibly a little better.

as far as price per ton...I bought a clapped out 79 a few years ago for 350, scrapped the hulk minus engine for 325, so I got a free big block out of the deal.

I like it, you should buy it. The one thing that makes me wonder about the mileage, is the replaced alternator.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

I wouldnt believe the low miles bit. Maybe do a compression test on it and see what is going on inside, that will tell you better than the owner. The gas mileage is going to be awful for a DD IMO. I doubt you'll get the 6.5K asking price back if you tried to flip it in a few years...If I were in the market I would low ball him with 4000 in cash and see if he bites, if you can get it for 4500 I think thats a deal

here are a few to look at that can give you an idea of what they are going for, now these are not as nice as the one you posted so considering the condition of yours...they price may not be that bad if you really want a suburban.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

if it's as clean under side as the body.. and it looks like an honest 30k.. the alt being replaced isn't a biggie as many shops when you bring in a vehicle that old will say.. well the battery needs replacing.. but the alt is X number of years old and............. look at the water pump, clutch fan for signs that they've been replaced.. same with hoses . at 30k it should still have the pellet type converter on it..

the problem you are going to have is that is in a boat state and the seller knows he can get 6.5k for it.. even with 130k on it..
                      Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; February 25, 2014, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Find a very, very good reason for the absurdly low miles. Less than 1K per year gotta be one.
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                          Find a very, very good reason for the absurdly low miles. Less than 1K per year gotta be one.
                          used to trailer boat to and fro water and camper.. many low miles old rigs in that area because of this. add in snow birds. and it's not that shocking
                          Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; February 25, 2014, 11:14 AM.

Comment

valid point, my 76 LTD wagon had 63K on the clock and looked every bit as good as this burban does. I payed 600 bucks for it...the only time it was driven was to haul a trailer to florida to escape the PA winters..

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                              I think the current rate is $250/ton!

j/k
                              and yet you still have that 460 powered piece of scrap...
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X