1975 Grand AM 455 the pissed off GrandMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i mean rear brakes not the rear ends sorry about that was on my phone LOL

the grand am has a 3.42 posi in the back.

my question was suppose to be would the rear caliper axle brackets from a 1le camaro bolt to the 8.5 rear in my car or is the tubes different
    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

also sorry for all the dumb questions i am just really excited to have a decent project again and don't want to mess it up
      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

You are going to be running open headers with the big block...right?
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

...... for a bit

my hearing is already damaged form work really do not want to make it worse so gong to at least put on some glass packs that exit in front of the rear wheels

also after much reading i bought LS1 rear calipers and axle mounting brackets worst case they where cheap so i can easily sell them.

going to get a 79 corvette master and 80 F-body with 4 wheel disc prop valve

the LS1 rears are 12" and should clear the 15x8 rear american racing rims that are on the back until i can get new wheels

so for less then $600 i just got a whole new brake system that will function decently with 12" vented rotors all the way around.
          Last edited by Mater; March 27, 2016, 07:33 PM.

Comment

ooops should of read a little bit more. just found out the 15" american racing gamblers will not clear the rear LS1 calipers

ironically the fronts will clear. guess i am getting wheels and tires sooner then i wanted too

going with 17 or 18" soft 8's or D wheels they are cheap and i like cheap

i could also just get stock camaro 16's what ever i can find for the least amount of money
            Last edited by Mater; March 28, 2016, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I have seen guys running 9 second wheels up 1/4 miles with the 8.5 10 bolts. Upgraded axles, of course, but they are pretty darn strong. Gen 3 Camaro with the TPI 350 could break the 7.5" in those. A 4 cyl S10 pickup can break one the first time you dump the clutch. But, those 7.5" posi units sell as fast as you can unload them from your trailer at the swap meets. Big demand for them.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I believe the 10.5 is stronger than the 12...in stock form.
                Our derby cars run welded spiders and 4:56-4:86 ratios with stock axles (28 splines)

Comment

i have confirmation it;s a 8.5 in the back of the car. that's why i went and got the LS1 rear brakes witch i have later found out might not clear (no one has a straight answer as most i have found on line lists the front brakes) the american racing gamblers that are on the back of the car. they are 15x8 rear 15x7 front

these wheels

you can smell the early 90's

figure if they no fit i will cross that bridge when i come to it. as i planned on gettin rims for it just not right a way
                  Last edited by Mater; March 29, 2016, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                    the junk interior is going to be the hardest but also least on the list of priorities
                    Cool lines on that yacht.

If it were me, I'd keep my eyes open for a rolling rust-bucket semi-locally of that same platform. Might find something with a good servicable interior and a completely shot body/drivetrain.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Photos, man...photos!
                      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

car will not be at my house until later in april do to work scheduling sooo pictures are going to be delayed

Comment

If you have there nerve , pontiac put out a Can Am model of the grand am , it had a trans am shaker hood scoop. You'd want to cut the hole small so you could fold the edges down and weld the corners up. They were all white with orange Can Am sticker lettering .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

How about LT1 rear brakes. 11.6 inch
                            Conversion brackets here
                            Allows simple conversion to GM PBR style rear disc brakesBolt on installationInstallation hardware included
                            Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Awesome but the ls1 are already sitting next to me local yard had them.

Comment

maybe these would work (if the car originally had disc)
                                Rear disc conversion plates for GM 10 bolt disc rearsReplaces the now discontinued disc backing plates on third gen f bodiesInstallation hardware included

I used their brackets to put 13" C4HD brakes on the front of my firebird and they fit perfect.
                                Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Working...
                                X