'72 Nova Manual Choke on a 250 I6 MonoJet Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '72 Nova Manual Choke on a 250 I6 MonoJet Carb

Bought this when my 16 year old was born. Converted it from mono-leaf to multi-leaf with a 2" lift, drove it to a few cruise type shows when the boys were little. It has not been out of the barn for several years since then. Oldest boy asked if he could use it for Homecoming Dance to haul his lady friend, so we tossed a battery and a HEI in, new muffler and tires, and a spit shine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ZKoi6Yq.jpg Views:	1 Size:	375.5 KB ID:	1252213

Added a manual choke since some of the parts of the automatic choke were missing. Noticed that there is a shocking lack of pictures on the internet of adding a manual choke to a MonoJet Carb (go figure) so here is my take on it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	twA3U3C.jpg Views:	1 Size:	266.3 KB ID:	1252214

I like using those simple universal choke kits. This is probably the 12th one I have done over the years, there is always enough parts to work with in those kits no matter what engine is involved.

Straightened a flange under the edge of the dash, drill a couple of holes, mount the handle with bracket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7T3AdTY.jpg Views:	1 Size:	266.9 KB ID:	1252215

Nip the end off one of the plugs that hold the firewall insulation pad in, run the cable through the plug (which is now a grommet) and find a nice kink-free path to the carb.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pURuH0O.jpg Views:	1 Size:	361.3 KB ID:	1252216

I bent a 90degree section into the main bracket from the kit for the carb end and bolted it down to where the original choke bimetal assembly would have mounted (if we had it). Swapped on the new arm to the choke plate pivot. Used an angle grinder to knick 5" of the new cable shielding off, side cuts to shorten the actual cable to length and its done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	e1xtvyG.jpg Views:	1 Size:	264.8 KB ID:	1252217

Starts very nicely now that we are in control of the choke and its not simply wired open.

Last edited by STINEY; September 26, 2019, 09:07 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

NICE Nova! All it needs is, say, a 500 inch Caddy! Boy ought to get himself in trouble with THAT.

Dan

Comment

Nice Nova.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
      X