Get in the van man!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by langleylad View Post
    I love this movie , but the sad thing is some people think all us Canadians are just like these clowns !.
    People who stereotype are foolish. I've found out that no matter where you go there is all types of people. There are rednecks , hippies,nerds,jocks, smart people, stupid people, good looking people,ugly people rich people, poor people, etc.. everywhere you go.

Comment

Since I don't want to run my power cord out of the side of the Vamper (I don't really want to flaunt that I stay in the parking lot). I ran a 10 gauge cord underneath the van and out the grille. Now it just looks like I have a heavy duty block heater. haha
      Last edited by 68 Valiant; November 26, 2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

if you want heat plug in will not help much.
        don't plan on using any water in there.
        you might want to fit this in there

this is what i lived in in the oil fields around rawlins wy and wilkinson nd back in 78-80.
        no heater, it was good until around -20 with a down bag and a couple of comforters.
        came out of the oil field with a pile of money.

HRPT Long Hauler 2011, 2012, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ogre View Post
          if you want heat plug in will not help much.
          don't plan on using any water in there.
          you might want to fit this in there

this is what i lived in in the oil fields around rawlins wy and wilkinson nd back in 78-80.
          no heater, it was good until around -20 with a down bag and a couple of comforters.
          came out of the oil field with a pile of money.

I'm pretty sure that plug-in will help quite a bit! It'll keep my 12V Battery charged to run the fan for the furnace and also run my 120V heater. I'm also going to throw a power bar in so I can run the microwave,grill, TV, etc... This way if I overload the circuit it'll just trip at the power bar.

I was considering a modern day suburban but decided I needed something I can stand up in. I do need to stock up on some good blankets though.
          Last edited by 68 Valiant; November 28, 2011, 10:52 PM.

Comment

What are good things to have in a Camper?

So far I threw in:

-small tool kit
            -matches
            -SS kettle
            -Paper Plates, Plastic Cups/Forks/Knifes/Spoons
            -George Foreman Grill
            -some rope
            -scissors

Comment

Originally posted by 68 Valiant View Post
              What are good things to have in a Camper?

So far I threw in:

-small tool kit
              -matches
              -SS kettle
              -Paper Plates, Plastic Cups/Forks/Knifes/Spoons
              -George Foreman Grill
              -some rope
              -scissors
              sterno
              first aid kit
              trail mix,
              compass
              foil blankets runners use after a marathon
              air pump(electric)
              dry'd beef, jerky
              salt,,

Comment

sterno -What's that?
                first aid kit -Done
                trail mix, -Done
                compass -Had one in when purchased. I think my GPS will get used more.
                foil blankets runners use after a marathon -Might look into that
                air pump(electric) -Don't think it'll get used
                dry'd beef, jerky -That stuff is expensive!
                salt,, -Done, Pepper-Done
                Last edited by 68 Valiant; November 29, 2011, 05:42 PM.

Comment

gps don't always work..
                  dry'd beef, last long time incase you get stuck.. never know.
                  sterno is fuel in a can used to keep food warm at parties, it's also a good heat source as it's cheap, easy to store, wax based fuel. don't leak and takes up almost no room,

Comment

what do you have for communication?
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

gps emergency tracker (they're pretty cheap nowadays)
                      hi-lift jack
                      cheap bic (type) lighters (matches are great until they get wet)
                      propane for your cook stove
                      WATER, WATER, WATER - yeah, I know there's snow, but to get snow to a liquid state generally takes more energy than you can get from snow
                      I'm not a fan of jerky - too much salt leads to high blood pressure and can cause all sorts of great sicknesses. There are lots of canned foods that work just fine - if you're backpacking, then freeze dried is good - but since you have a camper - you can carry the water in the food.
                      I presume you're packing appropriate clothes - leave the cotton for your summer days in the Old South.
                      Playing cards.
                      A book or 5 - funniest thing, most people who are lost (but not hanging on edge of life and death) complain they had nothing to do.... thus they set out in the direction they just "KNOW" is civilization.... I've yet to meet one that was headed the right way (seriously).
                      shovel, maybe even two shovels.
                      tow strap
                      flares - also make awesome fire starters
                      and consider this. if you get stuck, how are you going to heat your camper? be sure that if you have a propane heater - that it does not pull air from the inside of the cab. That's especially important since you've sealed your van beyond factory specs.
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 29, 2011, 07:23 PM.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        what do you have for communication?
                        Cell phone, which will work. I also have a CB radio. It wouldn't surprise me if I even have WiFi internet.

I just want to point out that although I am going North its not desolate. I'll be travelling major highways and staying in or near populated areas for the winter. In the summer I may look for actual camping spots in the bush near the river.

Comment

Do you only work on oil rigs or do you work on gas rigs as well? The gas wells by me are putting out 9000-10000 PSI right out of the ground. They have to light them off for a while so I'm told to burn some of the gas off to get it down to about 9000 PSI. When they first started drilling these wells they were blowing the casings right out of the ground when they tried to cap them from the high pressure.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I've worked on both. I also have worked on snubbing units. The stand alone units could pull 120,000lbs and push just over half of that into the hole. Just looking for a picture of one now. I have also worked in plant environments. Right now I am helping with maintenance at a place that produces Glycol and plastic pellets. I'll be working on mining equipment this winter though.
                            Last edited by 68 Valiant; November 29, 2011, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              gps emergency tracker (they're pretty cheap nowadays)
                              hi-lift jack
                              cheap bic (type) lighters (matches are great until they get wet)
                              propane for your cook stove
                              WATER, WATER, WATER - yeah, I know there's snow, but to get snow to a liquid state generally takes more energy than you can get from snow
                              I'm not a fan of jerky - too much salt leads to high blood pressure and can cause all sorts of great sicknesses. There are lots of canned foods that work just fine - if you're backpacking, then freeze dried is good - but since you have a camper - you can carry the water in the food.
                              I presume you're packing appropriate clothes - leave the cotton for your summer days in the Old South.
                              Playing cards.
                              A book or 5 - funniest thing, most people who are lost (but not hanging on edge of life and death) complain they had nothing to do.... thus they set out in the direction they just "KNOW" is civilization.... I've yet to meet one that was headed the right way (seriously).
                              shovel, maybe even two shovels.
                              tow strap
                              flares - also make awesome fire starters
                              and consider this. if you get stuck, how are you going to heat your camper? be sure that if you have a propane heater - that it does not pull air from the inside of the cab. That's especially important since you've sealed your van beyond factory specs.
                              I should cut a board for under my jack for stable footing.
                              I have some BBQ lighters
                              Built in Propane tank for the stove but I should look at adding a tee into the line so I can run a 20lbs bottle in case I run out.
                              Bottled water all the way. I'll shower at work.
                              I've been buying easy prep foods so I don't dirty dishes.
                              Good idea on the cards.
                              I ALWAYS have books on hand. Love to read.
                              Plan on strapping a shovel to the roof or ladder. Hope that doesn't go missing.
                              Almost forgot the tow strap. I also want to put a shackle onto a receiver hitch for the back.
                              I have a propane furnace and a carbon monoxide detector.
                              Last edited by 68 Valiant; November 29, 2011, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Adult beverages*G*
                                Tom
                                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                                X