Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

440 '48 Plymouth Coupe

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Changed my mind on the steering - the Mustang box was going to mean that I had to modify the radiator support so I decided to use a 60s Chevy truck box mounted on the outside of the frame. This also means I can mount the box a bit further forward and get the drag link lined up better. Also been mocking up the column mounting and trans tunnel.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • Progress!!!
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

      Resident Instigator

      sigpic

      Comment


      • Is there going to be an issue if you hit a bump on a hard right turn, like going into a driveway? Tire looks close to the box location.
        Last edited by 1946Austin; April 21, 2013, 08:05 AM.

        Comment


        • There's actually more clearance than there looks in the photo. The box is going to come forward slightly from there too which will increase the clearance.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
            Progress!!!
            Yep, made a bit more this weekend too - tacked a steering column drop together and finish welded part of the firewall. Also found the parking brake handle at last and bolted that back in so I know how much space I've got for the brake pedal.
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • nice work, the steering geometry on these things still makes my head spin.
              There's always something new to learn.

              Comment


              • That steering drop looks great! I'm still trying to figure out where to mount a gas pedal! One of the drawbacks of having three pedals and so much firewall setback!

                Comment


                • That's a neat collar at the firewall end of the steering column......where did you source that?

                  I could use something similar on the TR7 - apparently the Brits decided that end of the column could just "float". Looks like your collar would fill the bill perfectly.

                  This is an awesome build, thanks for sharing with us!
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                    nice work, the steering geometry on these things still makes my head spin.
                    Thanks! I think they're easier than setting up an independent though - fewer adjustments.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
                      That steering drop looks great! I'm still trying to figure out where to mount a gas pedal! One of the drawbacks of having three pedals and so much firewall setback!
                      I was going to put a clutch pedal in this one in case I put a 4 speed in it later but decided it was going to be too much trouble - how's the Falcon coming on anyway?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                        That's a neat collar at the firewall end of the steering column......where did you source that?

                        I could use something similar on the TR7 - apparently the Brits decided that end of the column could just "float". Looks like your collar would fill the bill perfectly.

                        This is an awesome build, thanks for sharing with us!
                        McMaster Carr - they have all kinds of shaft collars

                        http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=mg6pf5

                        I used one as part of the column drop too.

                        Glad you like the build, I'm looking forward to seeing progress on your TR7!
                        Last edited by racingsnake440; April 23, 2013, 12:19 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by racingsnake440 View Post
                          I was going to put a clutch pedal in this one in case I put a 4 speed in it later but decided it was going to be too much trouble - how's the Falcon coming on anyway?
                          About ready to pull the engine and build it. The drivetrain and suspension/steering is complete. Should be driveable in a couple months.

                          Comment


                          • Wow, sounds like you'll be driving it before I get this one done - I need to get on with it!

                            Comment


                            • Acheived a milestone today - rolling and steering for the first time since I took the original suspension off. Also got a brake pedal in there. And now it's back in pieces so I can finish weld the frame and brackets...
                              Attached Files

                              Comment


                              • Love the stance. Love the spacing of the wheels. Love it.
                                Bakersfield, CA.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X