No announcement yet.

'63 Falcon project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad you discovered that and got it fixed before it got really ugly! I hope the alignment isn't a major hassle. Do you have offset dowel pins?
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• The offset dowell pins have to be purchased based on dialing in the opening, so I couldn't order them before doing it. Turned out after checking the run out on the opening that I was within the .005" per side, so it bolted right up. I had planned on going to a hydraulic clutch release setup also, and even bought the parts, but after some fiddling with the new clutch fork from the aluminum bell, and the old fork from the Lakewood, I didn't change the mechanical.
      I found the new fork I had for the aluminum bell was longer on both sides of the pivot ball, (plus wider) and it wouldn't work properly with the Lakewood bell. I put the fork in that came with the Lakewood, and adjusted it all up. The felt pedal pressure is surprisingly light for mechanical linkage, and works so well I'm keeping it. I also drilled and installed a zerk on the Z bar so I could fill the tube with grease to make things even smoother.
      The two piece bellhousing really was a lifesaver during the fork swap, as I could wiggle and slip the clips off the pivot ball and drop it out the bottom! It also allowed me to see the newer fork was pushing the throwout bearing off center, and binding on the trans collar. Everything is peachy now, and my next item on the winter list is swapping out the rear leafs. I've got the new ones sitting here painted and poly bushings installed. Shouldn't be too bad a job if the front bolts aren't frozen in. I had the nuts off when I installed the frame connectors, so I think they're OK.

Comment

• Great progress! I haven't touched my car in weeks, save for moving it to get to the plow for the tractor.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
          Great progress! I haven't touched my car in weeks, save for moving it to get to the plow for the tractor.
          I haven't been doing much on the Falcon either, as I've been building a Nova gasser for a buddy.

Comment

• One more off the winter list! I got the new leaf springs in today, and pulled the ladder bars for the reworking I've got planned. Amazing how the new leafs had 3" more arc, but settled down to about 2" above what the old saggy springs were. With no air in the rear shocks it's sitting very close to what I want, so just a small amount of air (maybe 25-30 lbs.) and it will be perfect. I bought some poly bushings for the new leafs from Energy Systems. They didn't have a set for a early Falcon, so got a set for a 4x4 Tahoe, and turned down the rear to fit my spring eyes. Had to also cut the width to fit my 2" wide springs. The rest the bushings in the kit will be a perfect fit to swap into my E100 straight axle once I trim the width in the lathe.
            Had to drill out the mounting brackets up front to use 7"x9/16" NF bolts. The old bolts had a shoulder and I couldn't reuse them after having to cut one. The new bolts are same size all the way after drilling out the bracket, so larger and stronger.
            I have all the adjusters and heims for the ladder bars so I can make both ends of them adjustable, instead of just the front, so that will allow for suspension height changes, and pinion angle differences. I'm still "engineering" some of this, so don't have it all worked out yet, but it will be better and stronger.

Comment

• Got the "moon" tank re-installed on the new '61 grille with the new brackets today. Took about 5 hrs. to fit the '61 grille into the '63 frontend! Amazing how different the two vehicles are. I always thought they were almost identical, but sure found out different! Used aluminum angle to support the tank, but I think I'll redo it with aluminum flat bar, as I don't like the bulk of the angle. Also pulled my headers and gave them a through cleaning and sanding, then shot a coat of high heat black on them. Considered something flashy like white or silver, but basic black won out.
              Also found an old hand built, polished stainless Chevy bowtie, so added that to the grille for fun!

Comment

• I love moon tanks! I think they look best when they are set back about half way. But not sure how much room is behind that panel or if you want to cut it up.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                  I love moon tanks! I think they look best when they are set back about half way. But not sure how much room is behind that panel or if you want to cut it up.
                  Yeah, I like them set back also, and that's what I had before, but don't want to cut up the new grille. The panel below the grille is a zero clearance to the frame rails, so not there either. Pretty tight with a BBC in a '63 Falcon! ;)
                  Last edited by 1946Austin; December 28, 2013, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
                    Also found an old hand built, polished stainless Chevy bowtie, so added that to the grille for fun!
                    I have a better idea. How about making an adaptor and fitting FE valve covers on the BBC? You might have to section 2 covers per side as the BBC is a lot wider than the FE - but you would leave everyone guessing!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      I have a better idea. How about making an adaptor and fitting FE valve covers on the BBC? You might have to section 2 covers per side as the BBC is a lot wider than the FE - but you would leave everyone guessing!

Dan
                      Not sure they'd look like FE valve covers anymore by the time I finished, but they would keep people guessing! The rear distributor might give it away though!

Comment

• Pulled the tank brackets back off today, and did an upgrade. I drilled and cut out the small triangular insets on the brackets to make them more skeletonized. Then I cut down the aluminum mounts and reshaped them to make them less bulky. Finally added holes just for looks. After all, they are right out in front where everyone will see it! ;)

Got the headers back on also, and exhaust buttoned up.

Comment

• The perforated mounts are more better! Watch out for parking bumpers.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            The perforated mounts are more better! Watch out for parking bumpers.

Dan
                            Yeah, the vertical posts might put a ding in the tank, but I think I'll clear the curbs fine! ;)

Comment

• After totally forgetting a driveline loop during construction, I got around to building one today and installed it. Made it out of 3/8"x2" flat bar, and also made it with tabs on each side so it's two piece. I wanted the bottom half to be removable so if I had to drop the 4 speed I could easily remove the lower half and not fight it to get the trans back far enough to lower it. Was a nice little 3 hour project, and worked out as planned.
                              Ready to start the dreaded body work now. Ugh!

Comment

• Wow, .375 material? Should way safe if the shaft frags. Are you actually going to have fuel in that rank hanging out front? Brackets look great, will they support a full tank over bad roads at speed.
                                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                                X