Last Minute / Quickie/ Budget Land Speed Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Minute / Quickie/ Budget Land Speed Racer

My Daughter Celeste and Nephew Garrett needed something to drive at ECTA april meet just to learn the course and get some seat time before moving into the Avanti.

So we took my "Beater" daily driver 1999 Nissan pick up truck 4 cyl / 5-speed. ( I paid $ 900.00 for it 1.5 years ago )

We added:

Battery Holdown Ace hardware threaded rod
    Used nusts and bolts.....................................$ 3.20
    Used 16" wheels and tires from Craigslist.........$ 150.00
    (needed tires because had mud grips on rear &
    front tires were worn )
    Used Tach from local swap meet.....................$ 20.00
    Used moon disc from my open trailer...............$ 0.00
    Oil change, black touch up paint to spray cleaned up wheel wells, screws for moon disc, roll of duct tape.............$ 63.43
    HP printed Car # & Class # and name scripts,
    Ink + free Shipping labels from Fedex
    Total: .................................................. .................. $ 236.63
    Add in purchase price of truck........................add...$ 900.00
    ( All Teenage labor was FREE but they get to race !! & maybe learn something, Most important have some cheap fun ! )

Grand Total............................................. ...........$ 1,136.63
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rack4u; April 24, 2013, 02:18 AM. Reason: change

Driving it up?
    Or trailering it behind Dan's race truck?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      Driving it up?
      Or trailering it behind Dan's race truck?
      The kids are driving it up. It has bone stock drivetrain and gets great fuel milage.

I should ask Dan tow the Avanti up ?

Comment

I could but my route doesn't come near you. I'll be headed thru Winston-Salem about 4:00 or so tomorrow. Wish we lived closer together - I'd be getting a lot more build time in on the Avanti.

DB - David lives in the (sorta) SW corner of NC west of Asheville and I'm in the far SE corner. The way the roads run I don't get anywhere near his neck o' the woods on my way to the other Wilmington.

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; April 24, 2013, 07:03 AM.

Comment

you can lower that truck 2- 2 1/2 inches for $30 bux. release a lil tension on the torsion bars on the front, 2'' lowering block in the rear and pull a leaf spring from the leaf pack and you would have the fenders about a 1 1/2 - 2 inches above the fender lip
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I didn't know they had torsion bars. If you count the turns on the torsion bar bolts you can put it back when you're done (assuming it's more or less like my old MOPARS). Good thought, even if he just adds the blocks in the rear w/o pulling a spring. Lowering is legit and REALLY helps. Also a tonneau is a good thing.

Dan

Comment

Great deal! I look forward to these times with my little guy. Very sorry to miss it this month guys - I REALLY want to get out there sometime this summer.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Good looking beater! Dont forget some cardboad and tape, for low cost aero improvements! What is the bet between Celeste and Garrett for the fastest pass? Is it an auto or 5 speed? Tail gate up/down/removed?
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

We need to get a read on allowable mods in their classes - I think they're going for Super Street. As I read the book it says nothing about aero improvements. A big sheet of cardboard, a roll of duct tape, and a couple of 1x2's to use for bows might make an OK tonneau cover. We could for sure gin something up. Smoothing out the front end would help too but all street equipment (lights, wipers, etc.) have to remain functional so it gets a bit fuzzy there.

Yes, David DOES intend to enter the kids/Nissan in some classes just for $#its and giggles - why not!? The kids will have a blast either way. BTW - these are GREAT kids - love 'em both!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    I didn't know they had torsion bars. If you count the turns on the torsion bar bolts you can put it back when you're done (assuming it's more or less like my old MOPARS). Good thought, even if he just adds the blocks in the rear w/o pulling a spring. Lowering is legit and REALLY helps. Also a tonneau is a good thing.

Dan
                    its EXACT same way as the mopars, when nissan introduced the Frontier truck all they did was change the body, the frame was the exact same as the Hardbody model that was before that

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                      its EXACT same way as the mopars, when nissan introduced the Frontier truck all they did was change the body, the frame was the exact same as the Hardbody model that was before that
                      I always wondered if these trucks are "Fron-Tea-ay" in Quebec - or France, for that matter.

Dan

Comment

Very cool. Look forward to seeing what the little truck will do. I've lowered a couple of these trucks. A set of 3" blocks, and turn the torsion bars. It's a 19mm bolt, with a jam nut. 3" is right at the safe amount of drop.
                        Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

Me and Celeste don't have any bets against who will go the fastest....yet. I can guarantee a bet before the weekend is over though. : ) Personaly, I would be very happy to get anywhere over 100mph. Its a 5-speed. Tailgate......rusty, does that count? We really don't know how we are going to have the tailgate.
                          Last edited by dragracer2631; April 24, 2013, 06:25 PM.
                          --Don't drive faster that your guardian angel can fly--

Comment

If google tells the truth it has 143 HP @ 5200 and limited to 112. I have never LSRed a truck so I don't know how much the aero is going hurt you. I know a stock mark 8 is faster than a modified marauder both have dohc 4.6. I think 100 is do able!

You check the plugs wires and air filter?
                            Last edited by Russell; April 24, 2013, 07:16 PM.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

junk the intake tubing IMO

go from this

to this ... simple as removing all the plastic and the air filter stays in place using the same wing nuts that held the housing cover in place

Comment

Working...
                              X