No announcement yet.

1984 SVO Project - track car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

since I'm doing everything alone - dont have anyone to help lift hoods off; did the 64 wagon and now this car w/ hood in place. If i was going the engine and trans at same time dont think i'd be able to pull it off w/ hood still on. Getting used to installing transmissions from the bottom w/ a hoist, think its my preferred method now.

Comment

Today spent time working on brake cooling and radiator mounts. Sourced a 2008 Mustang cooling fan from the local junkyard, which is the same one used up to 2013 on all models including the Boss so should be plenty of air flow, plus its a dual mode fan (will have to figure out how I want too wire it). The fan fits great with the new radiator - Still need to iron out a mounting strategy.

Based on work experience with brake cooling i fabbed up the front disk brake shields w/ provisions for the cooling hose. Package is tight and i couldnt get as close to the center of the rotor hat as i would have liked, but it'll cool much better than stock. The setup is mimicking the ducting on my Boss Laguna Seca. Also plan to use deflectors in the rear to channel air to the center of the rear rotors similar to how Porsche 911 does.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03409.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	871127Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03410.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	871130Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03411.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	871134Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03412.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	871133

Porsche design: Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche 2.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	871135

The new cooling module assembly is quite heavy and hope that removing the AC system offsets the weight increase. Good thing though is that the module is about 2" car rearward which will help weight distribution.

Name:	DSC03413.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	871129Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03414.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	871128Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03421.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	871131Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03420.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	871132
      Last edited by odmarco; July 15, 2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Still waiting on the intercooler plumbing, but the brake cooling hoses arrived.

They rub at full lock and close to full lock, but that was expected with the tight package. I'll add a protection plate so when the rims to rub, they rub on a plate and not the silicone hose.

Name:	DSC03427.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	871247Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03429.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	871248

Comment

This weekend, was able to finish the mounting on the radiator fan and the radiator. Also finished the intercooler hose routing; going to go to a 90degree rotated '86 style intake, but dont have it yet so this one will suffice for now.

Blow off valve has not arrived yet, deadbeat ebay seller hasnt sent the part yet, so went to another site for the BOV.

130 amp alternator also wired in. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03495.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	871594

Went to start it and looks like the starter crapt out...off to get a new starter tomorrow.
          picked up new rear brake linings and rotors... still need to finish the rear brake cooling duct work.

To do list:
          New Starter (waiting on parts)
          New Starter solenoid
          Install Blow off Valve (waiting on parts)
          Install 4.10 ring/pinion
          Finish fabrication of rear brake ducting
          Install new pads (Front and Rear)
          Last edited by odmarco; July 29, 2013, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Finally received the last parts i needed for the turbo ducting (BOV). Installed it, plus a new starter. Found that it was a dead battery that was not allowing the car to start, will have a new battery soon but was able to jump it with spare battery John had.

Car started up quickly and oil pressure was great. It dropped a bit once it was warmed up but I plan on using a thicker oil at the track anyway.

Name:	DSC03507.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	871650Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03508.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	871651

Something went wrong when i tore apart the axle b/c when I attempted to take the car around the block there was a terrible noise from the axle. when i checked it out, the pinion was loose from the front so i'm guessing the ring/pinion wasnt meshing correctly so the gears are probably shot. Kinda immaterial anyway since i was going to install 4.10's...but was hoping to drive before the ring gear change. Well now i know what i'm doing next on the car....

Comment

that is great progress, good work!
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by langleylad View Post
                I don't think I've ever installed an engine with the hood still in place . Good work .
                on a lift no less

Comment

Looks like the pinion wasnt seated against one of the bearings correctly so was giving false torque....it had enough play once the car was moved to fall back and hit the differential case. few teeth were chipped but it possibly could be salvaged. Installed the new 4.10 ring gear on the auburn diff, hope to install the pinion in a few days after picking up up new bearings and setting all the clearances.

took some time to finish one of the rear disk brake cooling duct. Probably not the best angle, but if it can grab air from under the car it will throw it right into the hat section of the rotor. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03509.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	871657Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03511.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	871658

Comment

Our vehicles , what ever they may be don't let us smile for too long , glad to hear there wasn't too much damage

Comment

Back on the road!

Finally after 6 week of work the SVO is back on the road. Finished the 4.10 gear install on Saturday and went for a quick spin around the block. The manual boost controller and the BOV make a huge difference to how the car makes power....going to need to spend more time investigating the boost controller as it seems the internal waste gate cannot keep up with the new system....I can hear it venting boosted air, but the engine is still seeing over 18psi. perhaps it has something to do with the location of the factory gauge...will hook up a gauge at the intake to get a more accurate reading.

Car will definitely be interesting to drive on the track...it feels very binary; will take some effort to learn how to modulate the throttle with how hard the turbo is hitting.

4.10 gears seem a bit short for the street! Have always had 3.73's w/ my mustangs; this is my first experience with that high of a gear ratio.

All in all the car seems to be responding to the new mods quite well. Its really hard to stay out of the boost! so fun hearing the blow off valve vent during shifts too!

Next i need to install the braided steel front brake lines and Hawk pads.

Name:	DSC03553.jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	871791
                      Last edited by odmarco; August 11, 2013, 08:01 AM.

Comment

ooopsie on John's front end!

Congrats on having the car running too.
                        Last edited by Beagle; August 11, 2013, 07:47 AM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

fixed Beagle!

Comment

I'll do my best not to fling brake fluid or anything else on this car while we're thrashing to finish the falcon.

Worst case- the svo goes on dragweek.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Need SVO parts?

Found a set of 2013 Boss rear adjustable shocks on CList last week, installed them on the SVO this weekend... they bolt right up! Now i have 5 way adjustable rear shocks. All they needed was for the lower bushing sleeve to be trimmed down. In compression they are about 1 inch longer than the Koni's, but checked the jounce bumper clearance and to bottom out the Boss shocks it'll take 0.75" of jounce bumper compression to bottom out the shock. I'll be lightening up the car a bit so that shouldnt be an issue. Car now rides like my Boss Laguna!! (put front Koni's on stiffest setting).

I also picked up a wrecked SVO parts car. If anyone in the local area needs some SVO parts let me know, i'm going to keep the engine & trans, possibly the rear end. I'll be stripping the car and sending the shell off to scrap. Front end was torn off, so none of the hard to find front parts came with it.

Name:	DSC03567.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	871912Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03566.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	871911Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03565.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB