• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used Dextron III in the cylinders.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Just curious, has anyone had luck with Marvel Mystery Oil? On the container, they say to add it to gas, diesel fuel and a 20% mixture to engine oil.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• No clue on using Marvel for engine stuff. In the Buick dealership we all used it to lube our air tools and it was AMAZING for that. The Snap-On truck sold it for that purpose and I suppose that's how we got onto the stuff.

Dan

Comment

• MMO is one of the good ones - it's detergent ability is amazing - back when quaker state and penzoil (parafin based crudes) used to break down into a waxy sludge (late 70's - mid 80's gm passenger cars seemed prone to this - had a buick nearly plugged solid)
          One can off MMO with an oil change would do an amazing cleaning job. After a few short oil changes (like 500 miles on each mmo/oil fill) that nearly plugged up buick looked "normal" under the valve covers.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Her'e's a small detail that I fixed last week. The plastic cowl vent cover was trashed when we got the car. The previous owner did a quicky fix with a window screen. I found a Monte at the salvage yard that had a nice one, but was painted emerald green like the rest of the car. I cleaned off most of the paint and tossed it on.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I fixed te tailpipe hanger adjusted the door strikers, washed and vacuumed the car. Tomorrow, I'm taking it to Long Beach and see if anyone will be interested. Wish me luck.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• The effort you've put into it has really paid off in a good-looking car. I'm sure you'll find someone who has to have it.
                Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  No clue on using Marvel for engine stuff. In the Buick dealership we all used it to lube our air tools and it was AMAZING for that. The Snap-On truck sold it for that purpose and I suppose that's how we got onto the stuff.

Dan
                  I have sold lots of Marvel Air Tool Oil, it is same company but total different product from engine additive. Both great products.

Comment

• Car is sold. Delivering to Sacto on the 18th.

I took it for a drive today. Oil leak coming from the side of the timing cover. It is rusted away behind the paint. I need a new timing cover. Swell
                    Last edited by Scott Liggett; February 5, 2012, 04:31 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Seems like the old timing was so sloppy that it wore into the timing chain cover. I found the mystery oil leak at least.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I can relate, Scott. Here I'm fixin' to sell the Dakota (how's THAT for a Southern sentence?!) and what craps out but the heater core. Given that I can no longer work with my head lower than my chest I farmed the job out. It's done - but now the cruise doesn't work. It's going back to the heater core guys tomorrow for a repair on that - somehow the cruise got screwed up during the heater core fix.

Yesterday for the first time ever I paid for a detailing on the little guy. THAT came out great - found a new shop I can trust and I know where to send people for detailing in Wilmington.

Dan

Comment

• The Monte Carlo is now on to different pastures with it's new owner. His name is Bill and he is a Vietnam vet just like my good friend who left me the car. I feel good that it is in good hands.

I feel like Bill's ghost was screwing with me the last few weeks. He was like that to play a prank and sit back and laugh at me. I had one thing after another go wrong right up until the car was paid for by the new owner. Oil leaks, belts rubbing hoses, carb issues, etc. It fought me tooth and nail every day. I'll write up a story about all this later.

I wish I could've kept this car. But, having three cars with my income level is a strain. Even though they are paid for, I don't make enough to give them the attention and upgrades they deserve. It took ten years before I could spend any real money on the Caprice. I liked how the Monte rode and drove. It handles great. But, I would have to spend thousands on it to make it fun to drive in my standards. On top of that, I only have space for two cars in my driveway. In LA, that means your doing the street sweeping shuffle twice a week to avoid tickets. Finally, I drive a company car five days a week. This past year, I drove the Impala and Caprice less than a thousand miles. I drove the Monte around 3000, but 2500 miles of that was road trips. That means I drove it less than 500 miles around town in the last year. Sadly, it just wasn't meant to be.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I bet you feel better now, don't you?

Comment

• I can agree with you on it being for the better. I struggled for years trying to maintain two cars on my college student income. Now I struggle to maintain three simply from an available time to work on them point, and I went and bought a fourth =/ Hope you can do something cool with the proceeds from the sale.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Sounds like it went to a great new owner who will care for and appreciate it as Bill would have liked. Well done.
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X