Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

62 Falcon - $5k challenge, how will it rise from the ranger's ashes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea - I'm no animal skeleton expert - but whatever it is - I'm not so sure it died in there - I think it was placed there since there is no evidence of any other skeletal remains anywhere near by.

I haven't started the "excavating" process to get all the stuff out of the interior so I can start the clean up.

I have a little boy that needs to get into and out of his car seat in the back of this thing (eventually) so - those seats are tempting me to recover them now.... but I also have a line on a great deal for a couple aftermarket black buckets - waiting to hear if they tilt forward and recline yet - but at $40 each in good condition - they maybe too good of a deal to pass up. THen it would be a matter of finding a rear seat of proper dimensions to replace the old one - or - find some less than expensive way to recover / slip cover what's there....

REAR AXLE RATIO CODES - Axle Code 5 = 3.50:1 non locking differential

TRANSMISSION CODE - Trans 3 = Fordomatic (2 speed) Automatic

ASSEMBLY PLANT CODE - CODE A = Atlanta

ENGINE CODE - ENGINE CODE S = 144 Cu Inch Inline 6

BODY CODE - Body 64A = 2 Door Sedan (Bench)

EXTERIOR COLOR - Color D = Metallic Blue/Green - Ming Green

INTERIOR TRIM CODE - Trim 27A = Turquoise Vinyl and Turquoise Basket Fabric

DSO code was left blank on the door tag. VIN starts with a 2.

These seat covers show promise - and are available with extra material for DIY door panels, package tray, etc:
    Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends
    Last edited by milner351; December 6, 2011, 08:05 AM.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

A trip to Joanne Fabrics for some thick vinyl and some foam, a set of hog ring pliers and some hog rings, and you are there.

Hey, it can't turn out worse than it is currently? You might be the next big thing in upholsteriers (is that a word?), just waiting to discover that hidden talent!

(just to clear my name of weird skeletal information, I've cleaned out a BUNCH of old barn haymows in my time. You get familiar with these things.)
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I'm leaning that way Chris - I've paid for some boat upholstry work that I was less than pleased with. I know fabric and foam is not cheap - and I can always cop out with slip covers or pay the $$ for seat covers from one of parts places, but save money with building my own door panels, kick panels, headliner. The plan is to use the black carpet that's in the 69 mach1 now since it's "wrong" for that car, and will probably fit pretty well into the falcon with some trimming.

Comment

Keep an eye on EBay. There is options, sometimes I see old aftermarket seat cover for less than $100, and at times I've seen new reproduction covers go cheap when someone parts out a project or changes direction.

Comment

Here's the fix for the steering, but I will still have to get 4 bolt ball joint upper control arms I think.

Comment

I bought my cable conversion pedal set from MustangSteve - been around for a while.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Steve will be a valuable resource on this build for sure. The interior of this thing may end up being black, found a set of black redone door panels cheap, black carpet from the mach, and the black aftermarket buckets - only thing missing is a cover for the back seat.... not necessarily my favorite (HOT in the summer) but the contrast may look cool with the body color steel door tops and dash.

Comment

IT RUNS

put in a battery, cleaned and adjusted the points, hot wired the coil (no ign key) poured some gas down the carb, took some cranking, but it fired up! I think with a bit of cleaning of the carb needle and seat and a quicky gravity feed set up to the carb inlet - I could get it to run long enough to catch a quick video to proove to prospective buyers it runs, if nothing else it cranks so I can get a compression check.

Got the rear seat back out and started to clean out the trunk - the bowling bag of goodies contained at least 10 different radiator caps.
                  The full size spare tire and jack set up was in the trunk with a bias ply 6.5x13 tire in remarkably good condition with a hubcap on the wheel, and other misc crap.

I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of painting it the original color again - "ming green" which really looks more like light blue to me, and I like it.

Comment

I think the Ming green on black would look good, if the original colored interior is out of the question.
                    HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                    DW- 12,16,17
                    "Stay thirsty my friends"
                    The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      IT RUNS

put in a battery, cleaned and adjusted the points, hot wired the coil (no ign key) poured some gas down the carb, took some cranking, but it fired up! I think with a bit of cleaning of the carb needle and seat and a quicky gravity feed set up to the carb inlet - I could get it to run long enough to catch a quick video to proove to prospective buyers it runs, if nothing else it cranks so I can get a compression check.

I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of painting it the original color again - "ming green" which really looks more like light blue to me, and I like it.
                      have you suddenly decided to start wearing tie dye and flashing peace signs at the drag strip?
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        Steve will be a valuable resource on this build for sure. The interior of this thing may end up being black, found a set of black redone door panels cheap, black carpet from the mach, and the black aftermarket buckets - only thing missing is a cover for the back seat.... not necessarily my favorite (HOT in the summer) but the contrast may look cool with the body color steel door tops and dash.
                        I'd skip the black even if it's cheaper.. as it'll be hot in summer(u know this) and make you either install a/c or never drive it..
                        it's one thing if it's your only car but with more than one it'll just get passed by

Comment

Yea - I have not made any purchases for the interior just yet - the black door panels and rear seat side panels for $89 plus shipping is a tempting deal as I'd have at least that much into trying a budget fabric store redo of the existing.

We took the back of the back seat out last night - and upholstry shop may be able to save it - but it would likely cost more than it's worth.

I like the idea of re doing the original interior (turquoise) at some point - but - that's going to take allota money I don't have right now - and the priority is getting it moving under it's own power on 5 lug wheels.

No tie dye here SBG - just something I like about the color, but your statement reminds me of an old Charlie Daniels song:
                          "who owns this car with the peace sign, the mag wheels, and four on the floor"

1962: Standard Sedan: 2-door
                          Paint Color: Ming Green
                          Interior Trim: 27
                          Engine: 144 Six (85 hp)
                          Build Plant: Atlanta, GA
                          DSO:
                          Build Date: Jan 18, 1962
                          Unit Number: 25941
                          Axle Ratio: 3.50:1
                          Transmission: 2-Speed Fordomatic
                          Base Price: $1985.00
                          Units Produced: 143,650

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                            I'd skip the black even if it's cheaper.. as it'll be hot in summer(u know this) and make you either install a/c or never drive it..
                            it's one thing if it's your only car but with more than one it'll just get passed by
                            candyass.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Keep the back seat frame whatever you do. It's different than a four door and they are getting harder to find.

Comment

Thanks VT! I plan on keeping as much of the original interior stuff as possible, even if I go with a glue up budget head liner attempt - I will label and keep the bows. Same goes for the door panels.

I think it's really cool that there is a CHOKE lever on the dash with the same kind of knob as the headlights, heater, etc.
                                DO you know if those white "plastic" knobs are available as repops? Some of mine are crumbling.

Comment

Working...
                                X