Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1973 F-250 - Turbo BBF - It's off to a new home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBR
    replied
    I finally got a little shop time to work on this thing so more. This time I turned my attention back to the heads and in particular, the exhaust ports. Ford cast these things with gigantic thermactor bumps that block the port enough that I cannot stick my finger through. The bumps are not drilled on these particular heads, so they are just a big ole lump of cast iron just clogging up the port. I did one head and called it a night because my hands were buzzing like crazy. Glad I don't do this everyday. I used some of ScottyJ's D3 head pics to pattern my work after. They are not perfect, but are worlds ahead of what they were. overall, I am pleased with how they turned out.

On the next head, I think I will drill the thermactor boss with a big bit to reduce the amount of metal I have to cut out with the carbide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_201810.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	936.2 KB
ID:	1221746

Name:	20181117_213636.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	884.9 KB
ID:	1221745

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Especially since Fuel is involved - as Beagle stated - probably best to TIG... I'm fuzzy on cast stuff, as I recall there's a rod and tungsten set up that's more forgiving in the case of dissimilar alloys (cast intake, "billet" tube) I'm sure you're buddy will make quick work of it once he gets the set up dialed in.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    yeah, good call. Even 5 psi is kind of scary, might push the fuel sprayer out into the engine compartment... that would be what we would call "bad."

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Well, the Bernzomatic stuff didn't work any better. It did basically the same thing. Blobby chunks that would not stick to either side. I scrubbed it quite a bit with a new stainless brush, hoping it was an oxidation issue. No luck. I give. On to other options. A good friend who is an excellent welder, just bought a TIG and has offered to weld them after he gets a little practice time in. I'm not in a super big hurry at this point so I just might wait on him.

Name:	20180929_114425.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	765.1 KB
ID:	1216875

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    What about sweeting them with lead, or prefulxed bronze rods? I have know idea if these are even options .
    Lead melts too low of a temp and is malleable..
    Bronze needs hotter temps, likely to drop a 3" hole.

2nd the HF stuff being garbage.
    Have seen some real nice welds with welding store stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    What about sweeting them with lead, or prefulxed bronze rods? I have know idea if these are even options .

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Good to know! Home Depot has the Bernzomatic brand. I might snag a pack and test them.

Cam is pretty mild, but that's the idea. Mild mannered until you grab a big old hunk of throttle.
    Last edited by BBR; September 28, 2018, 12:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    So far, the alumiweld is a fail. I can get it hot and the rod will melt, but it does not flow like I feel like it should.
    In our shop the guys say that the Harbor Fright alumiweld is garbage. They also say the non-Harbor Fright stuff works like a dream.

Your mileage may vary.....I am just repeating what I hear. Would be interesting to learn you opinion on the other stuff though.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    that should idle at 600rpm in a mill that big. Hee hee.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    So far, the alumiweld is a fail. I can get it hot and the rod will melt, but it does not flow like I feel like it should.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    We haz camshaft! Lunati Barebones hydraulic flat tappet.

Name:	20180924_101632.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	1216262

Name:	20180924_105631.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	826.1 KB
ID:	1216263

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    No I have never had a TIG. Just a plain ole MIG.

I think it will work fine if I can get it hot enough to flow the rod. I'm sure the oxy/acetylene torch will do the trick. Just have to find time to run out to my Dad's barn and get it.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    I thought you had a TIG, maybe you don't have an AC TIG? hmmmm try MAP gas? I've never messed with alumaweld, interested to see how it works for you.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Busy weekend but I managed to clean the intake with mag wheel cleaner. Works great. Later I tried to use the alumaweld. No luck with my little propane torch. I just could not get it hot enough to get the alumaweld to flow. Too much metal sinking the heat I believe. I think I will fire up the little oxy/acetylene rig and see if it will work better.

Name:	20180915_120146.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1215664

Name:	20180916_133225.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	903.8 KB
ID:	1215665

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I'm going to attempt to use aluminum brazing rods. I bought mine at harbor freight tools. I've watched several videos on them and think they might work well for bungs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X