Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, so opinions
    36" belt or 48"belt
    How much actual sanding area do you have with either?

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
      OK, so opinions
      36" belt or 48"belt
      How much actual sanding area do you have with either?
      It depends on where the manufacturer puts the table. My 6x48 has 10" from the table to the end of the belt support and about 14 1/2" if I remove the table which I have done to flatten aluminum valve covers, etc. BTW - the belt sander table can be turned 90 degrees so that the table lies flat which is sometimes useful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sander.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1346158
      Last edited by DanStokes; December 5, 2023, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Dan - that is really nice but I guess its good I don't have room for as I am doubtful I could afford it anyway.

Comment

Dan - that is really nice but I guess its good I don't have room for as I am doubtful I could afford it anyway.
          We had the Delta version (much pricier) in the shop at EPA and it was probably a tie with the drill press for the most used machine. I was surprised at how useful it was. I knew I couldn't afford a Delta (which is a cabinet machine) and when I found this one I pulled the trigger. I use it A LOT and have never regretted the purchase. Yes, it does take up a bit of floor space but it usually sits as shown and I can pull it out when needed.

Another thought: I've never tried this but I bet if you had a decent carpenter-style belt sander (I have a Porter-Cable) you could make a holder to sit it upright and/or upside down on a bench and do a lot with that.
          Last edited by DanStokes; December 6, 2023, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            ... I use it A LOT and have never regretted the purchase...
            Dan, which do you use more often - the belt or the disk?

Comment

I got this used for $100 off marketplace. Now that I have it I use it every time I use my welder. I like the 6" wide belt. I have taken the end guard off and used it to help fit a Y in 3" exhaust. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231207-091851.png
Views:	68
Size:	617.8 KB
ID:	1346239
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Dan, which do you use more often - the belt or the disk?
                Probably the belt. It's just SO easy to walk up and straighten, flatten and/or refine something. The disc is handy but you can only use half of it (so, 6") as otherwise it tries to pick up whatever you're working on (lift it off the table) if you get past the center of the disc.

Comment

When I added the exhaust dump I cut the pipe some with a porta-band and some with a band saw. They are pretty good but not great cuts, especially the ones with the porta-band. Being able to flatten / square up the cuts helps my welds look almost presentable. I didn't spend enough time fitting the "Y" it had some gaps I had to fill in, it's hard to see so maybe little more time under the hood is better that the time required to get no gaps.

Doing that reminded me how much I want a lift.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                    When I added the exhaust dump I cut the pipe some with a porta-band and some with a band saw. They are pretty good but not great cuts, especially the ones with the porta-band. Being able to flatten / square up the cuts helps my welds look almost presentable. I didn't spend enough time fitting the "Y" it had some gaps I had to fill in, it's hard to see so maybe little more time under the hood is better that the time required to get no gaps.

Doing that reminded me how much I want a lift.
                    Bring it on over! Or buy yourself a hoist. You would have to give up some of your upstairs or plant it outside your shop but would be worth it. I have 2 12' columns if you want to build a lean-to beside the shop.
                    Last edited by DanStokes; December 7, 2023, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Here's my HF special at work.
                      (See Mad Max Sammy post on what)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231209_094728~2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1346334 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231209_095104~2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1346335

Comment

I have a belt sander and a vise. now if I only could clamp it in vise and it not move, fall out of it. without cracking the plastic case of the sander.

Comment

Originally posted by 2020 mustang View Post
                          I have a belt sander and a vise. now if I only could clamp it in vise and it not move, fall out of it. without cracking the plastic case of the sander.
                          How about if you build a 2X4 (or appropriate sized lumber) frame for it to sit in? Haven't tried that but it seems like it ought to work.

Comment

Originally posted by 2020 mustang View Post
                            I do that. Invert the sander, vise grips the handle. Change the angle as required. Only drawback is no 'backstop' to keep things square. Works very good.
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                            X