318 to 383 swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 318 to 383 swap questions

I might buy a 69 newport and swap out my 318/727 to a 383/727 if it works.
    Would the engine mounts, exhaust manifolds, power steering brackets and transmission all work?

Re: 318 to 383 swap questions

Is the new port the swaper or the swape? What is the other vehicle? Details man details!

Steve
    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Im going to swap out the engine and trans into a 70 Coronet that has a 318 and a 727 in it already,
      also I guess the trans would be a 727???

Comment

you probably want to round up some B block mounts and manifolds/headers, you can probably use the pump/brackets that come with the 383. If you get rid of the AC compressor that I assume is on the newport, then you might have fun with the pulleys/brackets for the alternator....they used a different setup for ac and non ac engines.

Of course you'll need to use the big block trans, as the case is different.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

This is a trip back into my fuzzy old memory, but I'm thinking the K-frame is different between the small block and big block B bodies. I'd check into one of the MOPAR sites and see what you find.

Dan

Comment

I think I can buy one of those SCHUMACHER engine mount kits and it will fit.
            I need to know if the 727s are all the same length ,SB/BB?

Comment

I would bet that the car one's are all the same length. Trucks and van's my have a longer tailshaft.

Comment

the 727s are the same length, the front of the case is different. make sure it has a 727 in it now, not a 904...the pan is shaped differently near the dipstick, among other things.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Check with Shaun Callaway on this. He turned me on to a company (Schumacher, I believe) that offers a complete set of engine mounts to drop a B or RB engine in a B-body Mopar (like your Coronet). It used to be you had to swap out the K-frame - a lengthy job - to put a big block in a small block car.

As for the accessories, all the brackets between the LA and the B/RB engines are different. There are PLENTY of aftermarket suppliers of bracketry for attaching the alternator, PS pump, etc. on a B engine.

If your car IS a 727 car (most 318 cars had 904's), then don't throw that small block tranny away. Somebody will need it somewhere, but it won't fit the 383 as the bolt pattern is different. The 727 from the Newport will drop right in, but you will need to shorten the driveshaft, and while you have it out, you will need to put a new (bigger) slip yoke on it to fit the 727 output shaft.

The exhaust manifolds are COMPLETELY different between the LA and B engines. The C-body (Newport) exhaust manifolds are completely different than the B-body (Coronet) manifolds. The Y-pipe is also different between big block and small block cars. Now is a good time to install a set of headers.

I would highly recommend swapping out radiators to cool the bigger engine. The 318 engine just doesn't make a lot of heat compared to a 383. Of course, you will need the corresponding radiator hoses.

I would also recommend replacing the oil pan on the 383 with one from a 4-barrel B-body car. These have just a bit better baffling and while you have it off, you can put in a windage tray (Mopar still makes these and offers them in their catalog) to free up some horsepower.

Now for the good news:

Your transmission shift linkage will work for both engine/trans combinations. The starter for the 318 will fit the 383.

Ron
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

but you will need to shorten the driveshaft, and while you have it out, you will need to put a new (bigger) slip yoke on it to fit the 727 output shaft.
                    Can't I get this off the doner car?
                    Or just shorten the doner car's drivshaft.

Comment

If you already have a 727 in the B body the driveshaft you have should fit. If you have the entire C body save the rad and all related parts. You never know what you may need. When I just swapped a 360 into a 318 car some of the brackets were different.

Comment

I'd take the driveshaft from the C-body. The driveshaft shop can glue the whole deal together if you give them enough parts. I can't tell you all the weird stuff they did for us to make dyno driveshafts for the big engine dynos. I'm guessing the U-joint for the rear end is a smaller series that the 727 U-joint so they'll need both shafts (really, both yokes) and they'll make it all fit with proper phasing and so on (not a job for amateurs). They'll tell you how they want you to measure the length as there are several methods.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by ghustler
                          but you will need to shorten the driveshaft, and while you have it out, you will need to put a new (bigger) slip yoke on it to fit the 727 output shaft.
                          Yup, just shorten the donor car's driveshaft.

Check the trans closely. Very, very few 318's were offered in passenger cars with 727's. My hunch is you have a 904.
                          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
                            Originally posted by ghustler
                            Yup, just shorten the donor car's driveshaft.

Check the trans closely. Very, very few 318's were offered in passenger cars with 727's. My hunch is you have a 904.
                            Its not the original engine and trans from the car.
                            Also the trans has the kickout where the dipstick goes into the body and pan of the trans.

Comment

that's a 727, and it's from a motorhome, which is why it has the hole for the timing mark in the bellhousing.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X