Late model Monte Carlo and overpowering gas smell while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late model Monte Carlo and overpowering gas smell while driving

My co-worker Amy's Monte, maybe 07 or 08, has some issue that sounds like a fuel leak. But her mechanic says he can't find one. She was told that it is a common problem on those models. Any ideas?
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Re: Late model Monte Carlo and overpowering gas smell while driving

That does not sound right to me. Maybe check alldata.com for any problems, recalls or tsb's.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Engine?
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

My friend's Alero (3.4L) had the same issue and it was three leaky injector o-rings. It would leak onto the lower intake manifold and evaporate leaving no readily visible trace of the leak by the time it was taken apart to inspect.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

If it was slightly older and had the 3.8L V6 I'd suggest the injector o-rings too. But newer Montes ran a different series of engines. Assuming it's not a SS (LS4), does it have the catalytic converter "rotten egg" smell too? Would be wondering if a coil pack up and quit..

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

After the car is turned off, and sits, is it hard to start?? Meaning does it take a few cranks before it fires.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
              My co-worker Amy's Monte, maybe 07 or 08, has some issue that sounds like a fuel leak. But her mechanic says he can't find one. She was told that it is a common problem on those models. Any ideas?
              Don't be smoking while searching for the leak.

Comment

I forgot to ask Amy for the exact year. I will tomorrow.

Leaky injector o-rings sounds like a good place to start.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Year will make a difference. It's just a faulty part on 2006-07, but 2000-2005 could be recall territory, esp. with the 3.8. Have you seen the car? What headlight style?

Comment

It's an '05. And the gas smell is intermittent.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

My vote is still o-rings and the intermittedness of it is related to engine and atmosphere temperatures, ie how much is pooling versus vaporizing. It doesn't take much to be noticable.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Maybe a leaky fuel presure regulator?

Comment

Is it related to fuel level? If it only does it when full it's good to check the flex bits of hose from the gas cap to the tank. O-rings sound likely, too - especially if it's not related to fuel level.

Dan

Comment

Her mechanic quoted her "between $650-1250". Translation "Let's screw over the pretty lil lady".

My mechanic quoted $300 to replace the o rings. GM gets $175 each for new injectors.

Btw, I checked the VIN. 8th number is E, I think that means it's a 3.4ltr.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

no p0440 ?
                              a 3.4 ? you have to remove the plenum - I guess I would charge 3 hours
                              be around 400 with parts and tax
                              we charge 8 hours for the lower reseal
                              flat rate

Comment

Working...
                              X