BANGshift 700R4 rebuild tech part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BANGshift 700R4 rebuild tech part 1

Jeff, the are the king of the VooDoo magic, ahem, I mean transmissions! Thank you for a great thread!

I see all these different transmission shops that all have a claim to how much horsepower the 700r4 can hold. TCI has the entry level trans at 300HP and some guys on Ebay claim 800HP. The average consumer like myself is not going to open a trans up and verify what parts were used, so we need to use a guy like you! How much horsepower will the trans pictured hold up with? ...and for the sake of discussion, what would it take to have a 700r4 live behind 500HP?

Comment

...and question number 2!

Do lock-up converters wear out? I am assuming there is some sort of friction material inside that locks it up...is that correct?
      Is there any way to flush a used converter to put on a rebuilt tranny? ...that can be done at home?

Thanks again Jeff!

Comment

There is only so much you can do to make these live behind a lot of horsepower. You can only use what is available. As far as rating how much it can take, I really don't know.
        Traction and vehicle weight has a lot to do with it. I have used an overdrive in a pro street El Camino for several years with no issues. And I have had on in my Camaro behind a big block with no issues. I don't use drag radials so the lack of traction I am sure helps it live behind my BB.
        I do have a customer with a 03 Hummer H2. He has a supercharged 6.0 and could not get one to live with every upgrade available. He claims to have around 600 hp. I don't believe he has that much.
        Anyway, after 4 rebuilds, he got a kit to swap in a 4L80E. I haven't heared from him since we put it in.

The trans I built here doesn't have all the upgrades. It is going in a light weight kit car so I didn't feel it was nessessary to go all out. Also wanted to keep the cost down.

And yes, torque converters do wear out. Clutch lining can fail. Too long of converter bolts can damage the back cover and that can ruin the clutch also.
        No way to flush a lock up converter. It would be best to send it out somewhere and have it cut open and inspected. Last thing you want to do is install a converter that you are unaware of any internal damage and then have it ruin a rebuilt transmission.

Comment

Working...
        X