Auto Parts and Fear for the Future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Parts and Fear for the Future.

73 F100 351C 4v. My Lady Fair and I took the truck to town. There is still a slight miss to find, more like a light shudder under load, actually. Shifting feels different, crisper and more on pattern than before. Vacuum improvement maybe? Power difference? Both? The power is way up, more where it should be, I should think. Have to run a bit to find what mileage is doing, but I'm betting on much better.

Anyway, parts stores. Checked on a vac advance unit at NAPA. "Sorry, that is at the warehouse. Seven to ten days and you'll have to pay about ten dollars for shipping." What's this crap? Just a few years ago that would have been, "That's at the warehouse. We'll have them toss it in with tomorrow's delivery."

Then for funny, I stopped at Oreilly. There's one ol' boy there that knows something besides little Nipponese cars and hot car stereos. Unfortunately, I didn't see him so I talked to one of the younger fellows. It was such a simple request. "I'll need one of those, two of these, three of the doohickeys and a dwell tach." The fellow got this absolutely bizarre look on his face, somewhere between "Whatchoo talkin' about" and "Am I gonna get in trouble 'cause this is something I should know?" Then he asked me what a "do-well tach" was. That's the way he pronounced it. I said, "Dwell-tach." He turned to the next guy and said, "Do you know what a "do-well tach" is?" That guy just turned to the next one, the one that appeared to be in charge, and asked him. He said he had no idea what I was talking about. That's when the old guy from the back came out, said "No, we don't have a dwell-tach anywhere in this kiddy-car store, ya troublemaker," and we were off to the races. Love talking to that guy.
    Last edited by Yardpilot; October 11, 2012, 11:08 AM.

Hey - I need me one of them Do-Well tachs! Maybe then my race cars will Do Well. Can I find one on line?

Dan

Comment

napa and carquest seem to pass down some knowledge.
      even 1987 is crazy for a place like advanced auto.

the fake fender vents are more of an interest apparently to keep on a shelf..
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Tell me about it, Actually losing shelf space for that LED Crap now that kids will steal now and just add to the inventory issues lately.

I don't even have a dwell tach in work, I'd have to order it.........got one in the garage from Sears that who knows how old it is

It's hard lately working in the auto parts field. It's becoming harder to find older cars parts. I actually head online in work and get part numbers and then run them in our systems.As long as it's a Napa/Carquest/BWD/Standard Number I can work with it.
        Last edited by Runner1972; October 11, 2012, 08:02 PM.
        "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

I was just having this conversation with a friend in my town that works in a very busy shop. He said it seems even cars say 10 -12 years old he sometimes has a little trouble getting parts for. He said many large warehouses just dont want the stock sitting there. He said he actually has ALOT of cars in there now- late 90- early 2000's, so their is a demand for stuff. As far as good old stuff,you would think
          so many parts cross over stuff would be at least somewhat available and it helps if the counter guy knows what he is being asked.
          Last edited by antmnte; October 11, 2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

I had one I got from Kragan's for years, but it finally died from me constantly dropping it. I now have an AC Delco one that is from the 70's by it's size and it's metal. The voltage reader is off. Not sure why.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I actually head online in work and get part numbers and then run them in our systems.
              Last edited by harrybro; October 11, 2012, 10:18 PM.
              harrybro

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                napa and carquest seem to pass down some knowledge.
                even 1987 is crazy for a place like advanced auto.

the fake fender vents are more of an interest apparently to keep on a shelf..
                Well, napa is a big supporter or Universal Technical Institute. After getting a 35,000 ford accredited edumacation from there, the list of jobs my son got to apply for was either jiffy lube or counter man at napa. They should know their parts, well for kids that think an 8.00 an hour job is what that education went for.

Comment

I am sitting here trying to remember when I bought my do-well tach... must have been 1982 or 83... I still have it and have even used it within the last 6 months.
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I just dug all my spare parts out of the garage, found my dwell tach meter with a cracked plastic glass and a couple timing lights with the cords chewed off.

Comment

I was helping one of my neighbors setting up a wood-stove for heating this winter. I told him that little story about the "do-well" tach, and he said he had one I could borrow. That's it in the pictures. The other two pictures are of my pal. He was helping. That's not classic photo "red-eye," his eyes always flare bright red when light hits them. That's 'cause he's a heck-hound. Too playful to be a hell-hound. Sixteen months old and full of love.

The leads are broken, with crumbling insulation. I'm going to patch in a section of extension cord to replace them. It is an Allen 27-83. That would put it in the late sixties, I'm guessing? I was expecting it to be crammed full, but actually everything fits on the inside of the front cover. The rest looks like a big, empty lunch box. Air circulation, or just the style of the times? I haven't seen some of those electronic parts in lots of years. As long as it works. I have some great neighbors.

Hook to both sides of the coil, right?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Yardpilot; October 12, 2012, 01:25 PM.

Comment

points side of coil and ground

Comment

Originally posted by cirgent View Post
                          points side of coil and ground
                          Just like hooking up a tachometer for the dash...
                          Still have mine and a few rigs that still run points...
                          Sure wish it actually is a "do-well meter"

Comment

Working...
                          X