Freeze plug removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze plug removal

Under the T/A , I got the motor mount out, and now need to get the freeze plug out. Whats the best way(s) to get it out? So far I've punched a hole in it and trying to pry it out with a big screwdriver.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Have you tried pliers or channel locks in the hole you made?
    Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

I drive them in on one side, then use channel locks to pry them out.

It's more fun with the engine in the car.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yeah, having all kinds of fun.Been working 12 hr days for three weeks so it only took me this long to get the motor mounts out. Fortunately my oldest didn't want her car at college for the next three weeks so she went back to South Carolina without it. Unfortunately the starter on the Bravada went out today so she"ll be hauling me 30 miles one way to work tomorrow and then coming back to get me. Thanks Drew and Squirrel for the quick tips. going back to the garage even though I can't get the plug till tomorrow.
        Last edited by Dan Barlow; December 2, 2012, 09:47 PM.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Out of town company showed up. Back to it tomorrow.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Dan, try to catch it near the edge and smack it on one side so it will turn in the hole. Then you can grab the edge with Vise Grips and pull it out (hopefully). They can be a stinker. You can also try a slide hammer - use the sheet metal screw attachment and screw it into the plug then slide away. It might pull it out or it might pull the screw thru - worth a try, though. You can probably tell I've fought with a bunch of these!

Dan

Comment

Dan ,Already punched a whole with my 18'' long screw driver and a hammer. But the spinning thing I'll put in my arsenal. Will get back to this around 7pm tomorrow. Thanks
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I didn't explain well enough...by "drive them in on one side" I meant to turn it sideways in the hole.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

After I replied to Dan, I figured out that was what you meant. Thanks. Got off 2 hrs earlier than expected. Getting ready to go out to the garage. Do I need to put any sealer on it . Like Indiana head gasket dealer?
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I usually goop mine up with some kind of magic potion. I think Indian Head would be a good thing. I'd avoid RTV as it can make stuff slippery and you want these to bind in there.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      I didn't explain well enough...by "drive them in on one side" I meant to turn it sideways in the hole.
                      This is the way I've done it for 40+ years... tap one side inward and it turns the plug
                      then grab it with channel locks and pivot it out... put lock tight or another type of
                      sealer on the new one... tap back in till flush to the outer edge of the block

Comment

I use Permatex Aviation sealer, but there are other sealers that will work too. Run some coarse sandpaper around the inside of the hole, scrape off any chunks of rust first.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Good news, got it popped loose, the bad....just as I was about to grab it with the vise grips, it feel into the block. Now tovfish it up and out. Thanks guys, up to me now.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                            Good news, got it popped loose, the bad....just as I was about to grab it with the vise grips, it feel into the block. Now tovfish it up and out. Thanks guys, up to me now.
                            Sounds like my kind of luck
                            Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Got it out by hooking it with a Allen wrench then sticking that big screw driver thru the hole and popping it out. Got the new one in. Now the back one on the driver side is weeping. It's always something. :-) looks easier.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X