87 4.3 ( Bravada )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 4.3 ( Bravada )

Sometime I push down on the gas and it doesn't seem to have any power. But I can floor it and it will work right and after running it at freeway speeds for a while it is fine. The problem can return several times a day after shutting it off and restarting after a short spell. Is this a throttle position sensor or what.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

There are many potential causes of your issue. Doubt if it is the TPS. Check for codes (even if the light isn't on). MAF sensor can cause a lot of drivability issues without setting any DTC's. Intermittent problems can be a bitch to locate.
    FKA Redragtop
    (formerly known as)

Comment

I just noticed I screwed up and called the wifes bravada a 87. Make that
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Did that 4.3 have the spider injection?...

CEL on?....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I don't think it does. This one has a plastic intake not that huge two price aluminum job.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

misfire ?
            need more info

Comment

Start with the Ignition Module.
              "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Converter trying to clog?
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Jim I don't think it's a misfire . I just seems to bog out or maybe sputter. Seems spark related but if I tromp it and hold it for a while it goes away. The first time it did it was last winter when I went thru drifting snow last winter. ( was still on the road ) Any chance the the sensor in the intake track just before the butterflies got wet and I semi killed it . I'm wondering about that module also Rocketman it would be the cheapest probably to start with . Anytime I had one go bad it just plain died. Russell, that's a good one. Just how do I check it though. I do know how to fix the current one though. Thanks for the ideas guys. When I can get the wife to stop driving it long enough I'm going to try some of this stuff. Right know she is working to jobs getting ready for a foot operation on the 25th so I may have to wait till then. She will be flat down for a week. Everything else we have has 5 speeds in them and it is really painful for her to drive them.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Does the cat in bolt from the down pipe? If it does then unbolt and test drive. If its weld on you are on your own. Being a 97 it should have o2s post cat so if you fix it the mil light may come on and I don't know what / if that will effect anything else. Is the alt and battery good? Low voltage cured by higher rpms? Did you Google it?
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                      I don't think it does. This one has a plastic intake not that huge two price aluminum job.
                      It does and those have been known to cause many drive-ability problems. Put scan tool in live data mode and watch the short fuel trims ... should give you a good idea ...
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Well first off 97 GM, change that 11.00 temp sensor. That is controlling rich lean as much as the o2 sensor too. MAP sensor vacuum controls fuel pressure. Make sure those plastic lines are solid and the rubber that connects them are not cracked and leaking. Eventually you will get to cam sensor then crank sensor.

If it was the 87 thats the old setup with only 2 injectors on top of the throttle body, bigger chance for half of it to go bad, if its missing on all 6 a good cleaning should be done before just replacing them. Some places do it for 99.00 plus the cost of the cleaner in the pressure tank.

If its not a fuel issue its that ignition board under the coil packs. It will eventually be firing all the cylinders wrong.

Comment

Fuel filter

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
                            Well first off 97 GM, change that 11.00 temp sensor. That is controlling rich lean as much as the o2 sensor too. MAP sensor vacuum controls fuel pressure. Make sure those plastic lines are solid and the rubber that connects them are not cracked and leaking. Eventually you will get to cam sensor then crank sensor.

If it was the 87 thats the old setup with only 2 injectors on top of the throttle body, bigger chance for half of it to go bad, if its missing on all 6 a good cleaning should be done before just replacing them. Some places do it for 99.00 plus the cost of the cleaner in the pressure tank.

If its not a fuel issue its that ignition board under the coil packs. It will eventually be firing all the cylinders wrong.
                            not coil packs... these had dizzys. Im guessing either needs the fuel injection retrofit, or the cat has a cracked brick... the fuel injection retrofits convert from cpfi to mpfi. available from GM parts direct or your local o'reillys.
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                              Fuel filter
                              Or pump, sold every one we had at the yard..

Comment

Working...
                              X