Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common failures out on the road?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Common failures out on the road?

    This will be my first year on drag week. From reading past adventures it seems valve train is the common killer out on the highway. Whats failing, is it springs, rockers, roller lifters? If the budget allows I will hit the highway with fresh springs and roller lifters and the old stuff in the spares box. My original spares list would have required me to add dual wheels and a gooseneck hitch lol. Now that I toned it down I figured gaskets, fluids, fluids for the car, spare tires, valve train parts, ujoints, electric fan and fuel pump.....see there I go filling the car up again lol.

    From what I understand the new guys supply sammiches and the veterans handle all the beer?

    Thanks for any input. I am running DD and my first goal is to finish and my next is to have a sub 11.50 average.

    Clark
    68 Barracuda
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

  • #2
    Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
    This will be my first year on drag week. From reading past adventures it seems valve train is the common killer out on the highway. Whats failing, is it springs, rockers, roller lifters? If the budget allows I will hit the highway with fresh springs and roller lifters and the old stuff in the spares box. My original spares list would have required me to add dual wheels and a gooseneck hitch lol. Now that I toned it down I figured gaskets, fluids, fluids for the car, spare tires, valve train parts, ujoints, electric fan and fuel pump.....see there I go filling the car up again lol.

    From what I understand the new guys supply sammiches and the veterans handle all the beer?

    Thanks for any input. I am running DD and my first goal is to finish and my next is to have a sub 11.50 average.

    Clark
    68 Barracuda

    Yes
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
      Yes
      Thats what I was thinking lol
      1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
      1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

      Comment


      • #4
        Electric Fuel pumps/Water pumps seem to take a beating. Stock mopar alternator or mini?

        Comment


        • #5
          Bring duck tape and wd40.

          If it moves and isn't supposed to, use the duck tape.
          If it doesn't move and is supposed to, use the wd40.
          You'll br fine.

          Comment


          • #6
            Make sure you tighten your air cleaner nuts to the specified torque.
            My fabulous web page

            "If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              Make sure you tighten your air cleaner nuts to the specified torque.
              And make sure your key chain isn't too old.
              Escaped on a technicality.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
                Electric Fuel pumps/Water pumps seem to take a beating. Stock mopar alternator or mini?
                GM CS130, should be an easy parts store find.

                I plan on bringing a spare fuel pump, I will have to see if my dad will let me take his meziiere pump with me as a spare.
                1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

                Comment


                • #9
                  thats funny you say keys!
                  When we got to Topeka to unload the truck off the trailer. I felt in my pocket. NO KEYS!
                  I had given my Dad(the co pilot) an extra set just in case. WHEW.. glad I did!! Cuz I lost mine at the car was or taco johns in lawrence!!
                  Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                  Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                  Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                  Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH [email protected]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Keep a eye on your wallet dont leave it at the pump it is what made me 1/2 hour to late to Indy in 2010 ( and a broke injector) But he time spent going to get my wallet took longer than the injector did.
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Carb bolts tight..........un-metered air is the devils tool!!!
                      Team Clueless
                      1st Place SB/NA DW12
                      2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I thought that was cruise control?
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...69-galaxie-500
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ix-to-4sixzero
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sure does cook the coating off really nice Lemons Headers quickly at the corners.......
                          Team Clueless
                          1st Place SB/NA DW12
                          2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Road test it. Load everything your taking up and road test to verify everything is in line for the long drives. Make sure the cooling system is capable of high 100 degree weather of stop/go traffic also.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Bring extra relays for the fan and fuel pump.........or duct tape to go over the water temp guage......
                              Team Clueless
                              1st Place SB/NA DW12
                              2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X