Holley 12-803 Fuel Pressure Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holley 12-803 Fuel Pressure Regulator

Can it be mounted upside down (adjustment screw pointing down) and still work properly?
    Will changing the orientation change the preset pressure setting (checkball falling instead of raising)?

Re: Holley 12-803 Fuel Pressure Regulator

I don't know the design of the holley regulator, but my aeromotive one doesn't have a check ball, just a giant spring loaded needle and seat. It does not care what orientation it is.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

??? wont mounting it upside down hender the plumbing it up ???
      Danny/Zachary
      HRPT '08 LH, '09 Days 6 & 7, '10 LH

Comment

Originally posted by 63 falcon
        ??? wont mounting it upside down hender the plumbing it up ???
        Danny

It actually cleans up the plumbing nicely. It allows the input line to clear the valve covers and not hit the air pan

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
        I don't know the design of the holley regulator, but my aeromotive one doesn't have a check ball, just a giant spring loaded needle and seat. It does not care what orientation it is.
        Thanks Randal. The Holley unit also has a spring but isn't anywhere as nice as the aeromotive unit.

Comment

Holley unit is spring-loaded. Doesn't matter how you mount it, it will still work like it's supposed to.
          Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
          Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Hey Alan- I have that same exact regulator on my big block. I have mine mounted upside down directly off the filter coming off the dual feed line. Mine works perfectly and has never caused an issue. I can send you a picture of how I have mine if you need it.....

-Bucky
            sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
            - George Orwell

Comment

[quote=Bucky67 ]
              Hey Alan- I have that same exact regulator on my big block. I have mine mounted upside down directly off the filter coming off the dual feed line. Mine works perfectly and has never caused an issue. I can send you a picture of how I have mine if you need it.....

-Bucky

[/quote

Thanks Bucky, I plan on mounting it to the airpan support brackets. I haven't decided yet if upside down or 90* will work better. UPS is supposed to be delivering a box of fitting tomorrow so hopefully by this time tomorrow I will have screwed it up twice :-[

Comment

Dredging this up.

Did you get to mounting the regulator upside down or sideways? And has it worked fine?

I'm eyeing the regulator on my Firebird as a possible source of my fuel woe's, as it's mounted sideways currently. Nothing confirmed or narrowed down too, but it's orientation is on the list of changes that were made from "having no trouble driving for several hours on end" to "Drives an hour or so then looses fuel pressure".

(Temperature seems to be a factor, but the fuel system has always read only ten degrees or so above ambient)

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                  Dredging this up.

Did you get to mounting the regulator upside down or sideways? And has it worked fine?

I'm eyeing the regulator on my Firebird as a possible source of my fuel woe's, as it's mounted sideways currently. Nothing confirmed or narrowed down too, but it's orientation is on the list of changes that were made from "having no trouble driving for several hours on end" to "Drives an hour or so then looses fuel pressure".

(Temperature seems to be a factor, but the fuel system has always read only ten degrees or so above ambient)

sounds like weak fuel pump. jmo

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEE View Post
                    Also not off the table. The pump was installed last March and has probably around 4,000 miles on it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                      Dredging this up.

I did run it upside down for a year or so (~5k miles) but kept killing fuel pumps. Manufacture said I need to run a return line so I upgraded to an Aeromotive by-pass regulator which it also mounted upside down and has been that way for ~ 3 years (~17k miles).

Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back

Originally posted by MIKEE View Post
                        Ah, this is where I read it. Sure enough, it was the pump. Changed it out on the road last Thursday and drove near 1,200 miles afterwards without issue. My regulator is mounted sideways.

Comment

Working...
                        X