Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question of the Day: What is the Most Pointless Automotive Competition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be fair, yeah, we do have to modify a lot of "bolt on" parts so they actually fit and work.

I've made a bunch of parts too.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

ok, I think Burn Out nd muffler rapping contests are lame, but thats my opinion.
      As for car shows and good guys I have my own opinion.
      As a Good Guys Rodders Rep, I tell everyone....."If you came to win an award, you came for the wrong reason." Its supposed to be FUN,
      and a good time to hang out and talk with people of similar interests ! Hell Good Guys even wants you to DRIVE you hot rod, thats why we make you DRIVE them in and OUT everyday. Guess what happens if you leave it at the venue over night....No Chance of a Pick! Thats right, we call most of the awards picks, because thats are what the are . you dont see guys with clip boards , JUDGING CARS. they may roll by on a golf cart , and say, Man I dig that, and it gets a pick. Our way of saying thanks for being there, spending your time with us. Are there some other "bigger Awards", Yes, but I wont get into how they are picked here, but its not how you would think it is done. Do I always agree with the Picks , uh Hell NO. But because what I dig , might not be what somebody else digs.
      So come out to the show , drink some beer/soda, ogle some cars , look at some girls or vice versa , BUT HAVE FUN!
      Reading , Pa
      Good Guys rodders rep.
      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

And for the whiner about the autoX at the GG shows. Funny I guess watching new cars that are made to handle compete is fun to you.
        As for me I would rather watch cars that didnt handle originally get it done.
        This weekend Im gonna drive 700 miles to nashville in my 50 yr old station wagon for the GG show. I could drive my 12 sec. 09 GT Mustang, so I could do the auto X on sunday. But that would make me just like you speedster, something I hope never happens!
        I guess GG could just go back to Not allowing new cars to play at all so you would have something else to cry about.
        Reading , Pa
        Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
          What isn't a bolt on part?? Seems none of us are actually Machining our own parts...........
          And I'm not even good at it.

The next question becomes, will the inside pulley and/or the balancer interfere with the trigger wheel signal since it's so close?

I have some wiggle room between the balancer and the inside pulley. Once I get the balancer back I'll probably see about setting it halfway between the two.

It slides on to the pulley real nicely, I should be able to pin or tack weld them together once I figure out where I want the missing tooth to be located. I need my balancer back from the machine shop to set this up.
          Bracket try number two. I think third time is going to be a charm. I have a slight revision of this one and I think I'll be happy with it.

Square aluminum tubing with a piece of aluminum angle stock screwed to it. Notched and I can remove the sensor quickly from the side.

I'll locktite the screws on the final design (since I can't weld aluminum..). I may do something slightly different with the nut at the end, or maybe with just washer to give a better grip on the stock for centering.

It's rock solid like that. After tightening down the bolt, I put a wrench on the box tube and turn it to where I wanted to make the sensor perpendicular to the trigger wheel, then holding the wrench in place put a touch more torque on the bolt. I'm going to flip the angle piece to the bottom, which will allow me to read the timing mark at zero and more easily tighten the adjusting nuts and see the sensor gap. I'm contemplating a threaded stud loctited into the timing cover with the nut tightened against the timing cover then using a nylon/lock nut or something on the end to make sure it won't back off. Haven't decided yet. Thoughts?
          Let's not forget my very own fuel surge pipe either
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
            And I'm not even good at it.

Let's not forget my very own fuel surge pipe either
            Ya and I've machined and polished aluminum brackets for my fuel regulators, and machined an Iron Cross air cleaner wingnut. Like Squirrel said we all do a bit of fabricating to make stuff work..... But none of us are making pistons, heads, cranks, intakes, etc........

Comment

Ya and I've machined and polished aluminum brackets for my fuel regulators, and machined an Iron Cross air cleaner wingnut. Like Squirrel said we all do a bit of fabricating to make stuff work..... But none of us are making pistons, heads, cranks, intakes, etc........
              I bet there are a few people on here making a couple of those things.

**And what about all the home made suspension setups? Taking raw steel stock and making suspension parts seems pretty common lately.
              Last edited by TheSilverBuick; May 14, 2012, 02:56 PM.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                I bet there are a few people on here making a couple of those things.
                Ya but none of the KeyBoard HotRodder crew........

Comment

Upon further review . . . .

I'm beginning to think the most pointless form of "automotive competition" is TC versus Dieselgeek (with a family side order of JeffMcKC and ls7gto's "insider" carping and preening). It seems to be a "pointless" race toward who can be the most arrogant, insulting, condescending, exclusive, and obnoxious. (Blessed Mother of Acceleration, I hope I spelled everything correctly in that paragraph) ;)

(Flame suit zipped up; helmet on; fire extinguisher pin pulled)

As for car shows, they're fun when you win and fun when you don't.

They're hardly "pointless" because they tend to motivate people to advance the art of hot rodding. Merely because a competition has an aesthetic element that is difficult to reduce down to objective data doesn't render it "pointless." Car shows are usually a non-threatening outreach to many in the general public who do not share our collective obsession with Bangshifting.

Where would we be without the Riddler or the AMBR? Where would the great designers and innovators showcase their talents before live audiences? How many youngsters have been attracted into this hobby/sport by the seductive beauty of show cars? How many jobs in this sport are supported by market demand created by car shows?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
                    As for car shows, they're fun when you win and fun when you don't.

They're hardly "pointless" because they tend to motivate people to advance the art of hot rodding. Merely because a competition has an aesthetic element that is difficult to reduce down to objective data doesn't render it "pointless." Car shows are usually a non-threatening outreach to many in the general public who do not share our collective obsession with Bangshifting.

Where would we be without the Riddler or the AMBR? Where would the great designers and innovators showcase their talents before live audiences? How many youngsters have been attracted into this hobby/sport by the seductive beauty of show cars? How many jobs in this sport are supported by market demand created by car shows?
                    Probably as many as the other "pointless" forms you suggested. Except engine masters, I don't see too many youngsters being interested in that, but the burnout contests, mud trucks, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
                      (Blessed Mother of Acceleration, I hope I spelled everything correctly in that paragraph) ;)
                      Where would we be without the Riddler

Interesting take on the value of car shows, I agree
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

For Speedzzter
                        carp
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

rat rod car shows....i mean really how to you judge a rat rod show?

Comment

Speedzter actually used the word "condescending" to describe someone. now that's hilarious.
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Any piece of crap can do a burnout, I have seen soccer moms in mini vans burn the tires to beat old ladies to the disabled parking spot in the walmart parking lot.
                              Car shows is what its all about, like the mustang GT crowd applying Armor all to their top radiator hose and organizing their hanging air freshener assortment for that 1st place "people's choice" award!

Comment

What isn't a bolt on part?? Seems none of us are actually Machining our own parts...........
                                that could be a contest on its own. rat rods would end up super cars. I have made some things..the satisfaction is lonely...but outlasting every opinion of assuming oem parts are where I have been.

I go with the worst competitions being, dynos dialed in for double fires and counterbalancers (my little engine hobby and I are victim).

tire burnouts too.
                                there is the crazy leap at 80mph on the highway leaving a trail..and that is awesomely outrageous...but the 14-71 blower on the vega in a parking lot is well...predictably retarded.

a proportion of power should have a longer track. the more power, the bigger the track should be.. the crack cocaine addiction of .25 mile and 3000 hp with a kill switch before it all melts is not my fun. Blame it on my truckers upbringing.

there is a love for any sport...but brian asked a simple blog question.
                                Previously boxer3main
                                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                                X